1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orange is the New Black - new Netflix show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tehG l i d e, Jul 11, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The wife talked me into catching up and watching season one. Not bad at all and definetly the only show that I'm into at the moment, other than Game of Thrones. I'm on episode 8 of season one.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I tried to watch House of Cards one night and was asleep before I could even remember anything about the show... So then i tried watching the original one but I don't understand English politics.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i remember i stopped watching after the first 2 episodes because it was soooo slow, but i gave it another chance and i'm glad i did. it's crazy how much it picks up. i definitely recommend not giving up on it.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Ditto to what fallenphoenix said, stick with it because once it starts going it really gets going.

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Finished it the other day. I think it was a great ending to the season and very curious how the ending will affect the inmates in the third season

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

well at least I'm not the only one... I kept hearing everybody say it is so good but i couldn't help but think it was a snooze fest, I will give it another shot when i finsih OITNB.

7. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I finished it just now. Great stuff. The last episode definitely had some fun ways of wrapping up various threads. In fact, I expected them to leave more cheap cliffhangers.

Lots of great stuff this season, but my I think my favorite moment was...

...Caputo getting a BJ from Fig, then telling her he had already turned over all the evidence and walking out. Soooo cold. I LOL'ed.

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

So I put off giving this show a try for the longest time, but the buzz got to me and I started watching Sunday and I'm already on the season 2 finale haha. Great show with a ton of likable characters, and a great mix of comedic and dramatic elements.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Finished it last night, really strong season and very satisfying ending. Highly recommended!

10. HR Dept

So I finally got to Season 2 Episode 1, and nearly gave up on the show half way through the episode.

I'm not sure if there are any GOT spoiler Nazis here but... Spoiler has info about Season 2, Episode 1 - Don't click if you haven't watched it yet.

I really thought that the writers decided to abandon all the characters that they spent the entirety of season one developing as well as all of the unfinished storylines. The inmate characters at the max security in Chicago all SUCKED, IMO. Except for the dude who kept calling Piper “1st Class” – I had a lot of fun talking to my wife the way he did to her. :grin: But I was literally about to turn if off and watch a few old episodes of The Office. I'm really glad that I was wrong on that one.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I have a feeling they were probably in contract negotiations with some of the actresses when they started filming and that's why the weren't in the first episode. But I'm glad that didn't spend much time in Chicago

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Oh yeah that was a great moment, and of course the very end was very satisfying as well

Also just got to say that german chick that they showed in Poussey's flashback. Damn she had a great rack on her, lol!

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Best rack of season 2?
    Other than the obvious of the german chick I'm gonna go with Soso, man I love asian chicks!

14. conquistador#11

crazy eyes storyline made me get all emotional. they're all pretty tragic to some extent but damn, she never had a chance.

15. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Thanks for the link. I am obsessed with this show. So good! I think I'm following all of the cast members on Instagram. They're already filming season 3. It sucks that we have to wait until June next year. Blahh.

I stopped watching House of Cards after episode 2 but will pick it up again after we are done watching Breaking Bad.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is probably entertaining for girls and is made by man haters. I think it is crap and not close to House of Cards for quality.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

All of season one's characters remain. It takes a couple of episodes from what I remember.

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Bojack Horseman mentions the Rockets very briefly right after the opening credits in episode four. The show itself is pretty funny especially if you're a Will Arnett fan.

19. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I got about halfway through season 2 and have lost interest really. It is ok but really is not that good. Just enough happens to keep you interested. The acting is pretty good I guess but no better than most shows. I will finish it eventually and maybe the end of season 2 will redeem the show for me but I do not see what the big deal about it is. I want to like it! I tried....=/

20. HR Dept

Rant:

Looking back on the show, I think there may be some thinly veiled genius it. I could be over analyzing, but I think the takeaway is that the criminals aren't the morally bankrupt ones, WE are. We as in Piper, the "innocent" person who found herself mixed up into something that she wasn't looking for. The person who didn't deserve the time that was given to her and wasn't one of the "bad ones".

Until you start to see the back stories of all the other inmates that "deserved" to be there. The piss poor hands they were dealt, their neglected and festering insecurities, and the seemingly impossible environments that they were stuck in. Environments that created slanted odds pushing them to towards a road destined to incarceration or a premature death.

And when it was all said and done, and every one was issued their prison uniform and assigned a bunk; it was Piper, the innocent one, who seemed to be morally void. Incapable of selflessness or maintaining relationships, yet narcissism, cruelty, and entitlement seemed to come as second nature.

In addition to Piper's issues, you have that of the prison guards or "leaders" who seemed to be rotten to the core and insecure throughout.

Something to think about... Is it society who lacks a moral compass, while labeling the bottom third as lazy, criminal, and depraved? How would "we" react after given a taste of what "they" have been dealing with since day one? I don't know if this was the writers intended message, but I heard it loud and clear.