1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Optimistic View on Season thus far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevcai, Oct 30, 2018.

1. kevcai

kevcai Member

Look, starting the season 1-5 was not in anybody's plans after everything we accomplished last year. It's not where we want to be, but it is not indicative of our team/organization. I know it's hard to accept/digest after being so close to a championship but things aren't fundamentally broken.

Our schedule so far:
    - Our 5 losses have all come against very very solid western conference teams. Pelicans, Jazz, and Blazers were all strong playoff teams last year and even the Clippers will be fighting for a playoff berth this year.
    - We've missed half our dynamic duo for 4 of the 6 games. 2 from CP3 from suspension. 2 from James from injury.
    - Ennis, Chriss, Knight and Nene have been dealing with injuries as well

The guys we lost:
    - Trevor Ariza: 31% from 3 and 33% overall
    - Luc: 33% from 3 and only 15 mpg
    - Ryno: 22% from 3 and 36% overall
    - I know losing Ariza/Luc hurts our defense more than offense but if we swapped them for Ennis + MCW how many more games would we have realistically have won? (Assuming Paul still gets suspended and Harden still gets injured)

Legit Concerns:
    - Eric Gordon legitimately doesn't look like the same spark plug scorer we had the past two years. I don't know if it's a long slump or the Butler trade rumors are getting to him, but he doesn't look quite the same.
    - Losing Ariza and Luc has clearly hurt our switch-ability; need to make tweaks to tighten up the defense

Future outlook:
    - Our record looks bad right now but I'm not overly concerned. We haven't even had our two stars play for 2 full games together.
    - Jimmy or no Jimmy we need to find more wing defense before playoffs come around

Edit: Just made my first thread on Clutchfans after lurking for a long time :) let's keep our heads up guys

Rustyrig, hakeem94, Deuce and 14 others like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good post, OP

Roomba, topfive and kevcai like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

In sea of cancer that is CFs, I commend this post. I will still watch the Rockets, with some hope we can put it together.

4. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

5. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

6. TheSource

TheSource Member

less german guy and melo. we need more clark and chriss

abaker28 likes this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kinda lost our identity if anything

I think we are just bad, as in the talent is bad at the moment. CP is looking like an old man, and Gordon would be 14th man on the roster. The rest of team are just complete scrubs, Tucker, well is just Tucker, he's a hustle man.

The team we had in 2016 had an identity with MDA on offense, and last year we added on that with an identity on defense.

We have nothing at the moment, and the system has fallen apart.

8. bmd

bmd Member

[​IMG]

kevcai likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Good try, good effort

10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i think you are all forgetting gordon was pretty bad last year as well. it just didnt matter/wasnt as noticeable since the team was still winning.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I always root for optimism.

Roomba and kevcai like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

clap clap
    [​IMG]

Hard_foul and juanm34 like this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Chriss showed some good promise today.
    Also, look no further than
    [​IMG]
    Better to slump now than later in the season. Remember when we lost 5 in a row in the middle of the season? Once fully healthy, I think we'll be fine.

kevcai likes this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You will be commended by many on here for your positive outlook.
    But you most definitely should be overly concerned. It’s not our record. It’s our play. And our team. Our play is showing that we need so much more than minor tweaks to fix things and because of that we are looking at missing the playoffs this year.

Our team. We are playing Chris Paul over 30 minutes a game and can’t come close to winning with him. Have you seen his contract? He’s in year 1.

This is a disaster for today and for our future. And one thing I can promise you, Tilman and Morey are both overly concerned right now.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  15. kevcai

kevcai Member

He didn't shoot lights out but had a really solid year. Was a finalist for 6th man and most importantly, looked like he belonged on the court in crunch time vs. GSW in the conference finals. That is not what we're seeing to start this season.

16. kevcai

kevcai Member

You're judging our play based on us missing half of our hall of fame back court for the majority of these games. Getting Harden back (with CP3 playing) is more than a minor tweak...it's adding the most recent MVP to our rotation.

Rokman likes this.
  17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

this thing all starts with harden and cp3. they have been injured/suspended. im not pushing the panic button yet until we have them 100% for a time. though i do hope morey can somehow get another star in here. two really just isn't enough. the rockets overachieved last year if we want to be honest. some of our key players are getting up there in age.

kevcai likes this.
  18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

1-5 with 4 of those loses being blowouts.
    Gordon is broken
    We can’t hit open 3’s
    Melo plays to many damm minutes.
    Capela is soft.
    Bench is non existent = due to injuries
    But other than that... we look ok.
    Hopefully 2019 looks 100x better

amaru likes this.
  19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

True. But our bench sucks. EGs shooting sucks. Chris Paul is looking worse. Capela isn’t as good. Melo doesn’t get it. D’antoni doesn’t know how to adjust. Harden improves people around him, but no one player can fix this. If we were competing but losing then maybe things can be turned around once the beard comes back. But we’re not, and they won’t.

20. Rokman

Rokman Member

There is one reason we are losing and the players are doing it intentionally. Wanna know why? Morey. They love the guy and they are watching him eat himself into Oblivion! He's a good time eater and they know the only way to save him is to Max out his stress level and throw him into a depression. No more fun, no more high 5's and laughs because it all just gets followed up by an assortment of Shipleys and Krispy Kremes donuts washed down with 8 rounds of Goldschlagger. The man is dying folks. He's 1 50¢ corn dog away from a massive coronary. These guys know there is only one way to save him and it's to lose. Folks, we gotta support this team while they look out for him. Don't get mad. Don't get frustrated. Just support these guys and pray for a blow out on the court otherwise, it will be a blow out in his chest. #SaveMorey