1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Optimism!] 5 reasons the Rockets should be a much improved team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 19, 2010.

1. albuster

albuster Member

Nice thread and analysis. Repped.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Dude, get with program or get a hint: this is supposed to be an optimistic thread. Notice the posts just before yours? Hhummm...

3. Prince

Prince Member

As long as Luis and AB and Marting remain healthy, we're a legit team.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

and the world may end tomorrow and Houston will never win a ring again!

Yao's sitting exactly half the game, not most.

Brooks has already shared the ball and did great. Our offense isn't what will improve a lot more, as it was already pretty good. Defense will be the difference.

Lee is going to impact our defense as well, not just Yao and Miller. Brooks and Martin should also step it up, maybe not a lot, but collectively all of that will make a difference.

I somewhat agree with the last part though. We may not improve that much more, but only record-wise. 48 wins wouldnt surprised me, but it would be due to the competitiveness of the west, and not a sign of exactly how much this team has improved on it's own. As the season goes on, fans need to evalute this team itself AND in relation to other teams. Too many fans use wins to measure how good a team is, but win totals don't translate directly from year to year.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now this is what I like to see and what we need more of the "woe is the Rockets" threads.

I do agree that we shouldn't get caught up in unrealistic expectations but this seems like a pretty sound positive analysis.

6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Looking forward to seeing Budinger play this year. I love everything about his game and feel that he's poised to make the next step.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I'm not going to say we are going to win it all, I'm not even going to say for sure we will make the playoffs, but this will be a fun team to watch.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

one reason that conquers all: HEALTH. it's that simple really.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

we won't win it all most likely barring a kobe bryant struggling with his knee or bynum injures himself again, but you're right, this is a very exciting year for us.

so much youth, so much athleticism, and so much energy from our players.

morey has really transformed this team from when he first signed on.

man, i think i'm going to watch those 2 alley-oops by budinger and lee BEFORE every rocket game and hype myself up. LOVE IT.

10. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

The whole post was great but point number five really made me laugh :)

11. RyanB

RyanB Member

1- YAO-Miller
    2- Improved AB Martin Bud
    3- Chemistry
    4- Defense
    5- Hayes- Battier-Lee

12. mFt82

mFt82 Member

Man, I muss Landry. This team just isn't the same without an impressive 2nd-rounder with a big head and sketchy off-the-court activities.

13. YaoMingsSoulja

no way? when did he say this

14. ezzie

ezzie Member

i love this point

its not just the depth of the team, but also its versatility. every player brings something a little different to the table and is capable of going off any given night (except maybe chuck :grin: )

15. Roxs-Redemption

interesting..much thanks

16. albuster

albuster Member

Now, after all this feel good thread, can someone post a thread that would point out all of the Rockets' negatives. It would really be interesting.

17. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Consider me cautiously optimistic. That and I find a thread where everyone agrees to be rather boring.

Unrelated, but how come no one has coined the phrase Yiller, or Mao yet. I'm going with Yiller...not only does it sound better, it includes Hill.

So our lineup is....
    Yiller
    Scayes
    Batinger
    Martee
    Browry

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm always here. Anyone knows Durvasa is my man 100 grand and I agree. Reading Yo-Yo thread is pretty much what I feel about the season and have said as much. I think this team will win 48-52 games and can be anywhere from a 4-9 seed. I still think they have too many guys for the minutes and lack versitility to make it work, but they are built for injuries.If somehow the rockets stay away from the injury bug, how does it work without complaining? Make no bones about it, every player at a pro level wants to play as much as possible. They think playing helps the team win. Let me throw out some scenerios.

Adelman can't and wont think this way, but in what situation other than late game defensive subs should Hayes play more than hill? If we are moving forward and trying to develop this dynamic team, hayes shouldn't play at all unless its late game defensive matchup. I like hayes and love his journey, but he's not playing on a very good team. Hill is the one they should continue to develop and if the rockets are around .500 before the trade deadline, they shouldn't hesitate to move scola for the right deal either.

Martin stays injury free. Thats a big if given his history, but say he plays 75 games at his usual level, what happens then. Well I will tell you what happens and many will not agree, but i will put it out there. Lee and lowry will be squeezed for minutes. I think with martin, lowry and lee would have been squeezed anyway. Why? Lowry played best when he played with brooks. Now i will admit I haven't done the synergy sports stats looks,I;m going mostly on memory from last year. Most of the success from the small backcourt came out of desperation. Brooks and scola were the only 2 shot makes in the starting 5 and adelman had to find ways to score points. So he played small and quick with the brooks-lowry backcourt. This year with a healthy martin, the need isn't there and brooks-martin combo will score close to 40 a night. If thats the case, which i thinkl it will be, that means 32-35 mins for both. That would then leave 32 minutes left for the 1-2 spots. Since both martin and lee are sg, neither has the ability to really play the 3, it will get crowded. Now if martin misses his 20 games per, the numbers of the playing time will get left-handed, but all in all, the minutes will not be there.

Those are relly my concern spots for the team. As Durvasa pointed out and as I have said for years, Yao's biggest impact is on e the defensive end. I remember last summer arguing with posters trying to link the rockets defensive success to shane and i told them they were wrong big time. Yao has been the common link since the days of mobley of wesley playing the wing. Yao's size close to the basket is a huge help for team defense. Sure he struggles away from the basket and that is why I kinda like a weakside shot blocker playing with him, but it can't be perfect. All in all, they will play hard and you will feel like you got your money value for the ticket.

19. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I disagree with this. I somewhat agree on Hayes, but they are playing different positions now. Scola will eat most of the minutes at the 4 and Hayes will be somewhat of a change of pace plus better defense. I understand the need to get Hill minutes, but that will come given Yao's limitations.

Why would Scola be the one to be traded? Yes, he's aged, but also proven then he can be effective as both a role player and go to guy. I don't think he's detering Hill's development any, and Patterson will develop fine in the DLeague this year. If we are .500, meaning we are going to retool/rebuild I guess, then Scola would be one of the guys I'd want to keep. I would look to trade Jeffries, Battier and others that you don't see in the future, nor are much help to get there. I'd like to say that's Yao, but doubtful. Honestly, I think Scola might be the least tradable guy on the team right now.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Lol. Good that you took my jab in stride. Of course we should temper our expectations given our rather paltry success in the playoffs for what it seems to be forever. Maybe this year will be different?