1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Optimism!] 5 reasons the Rockets should be a much improved team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 19, 2010.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

1) Pieces are finally in place to run Adelman's offense the right way.

• Adelman's schemes require players that can run cuts properly, finish at the rim, draw fouls, and hit mid range jumpers. Last year we got Martin and Budinger, both excellent at moving without the ball, making proper cuts, and hitting jumpers. Problem is, we didn't have bigs who were both shooting and passing threats from the high post, which is vital for opening the lane. We saw many instances last year when Hayes was holding the ball at the top of key while his defender sagged into the paint.

Now we have Yao and Miller, both excellent passers and shooters from the high post, which means that lane is going to be much less crowded. Players like Martin, Budinger, and Lee are going to benefit immensely.

2) We should never be out-sized. Ever.

• With sheer size (Yao, Miller), mobile bigs (Hill, Scola, Jeffries, Hayes), tall swing men (Battier, Budinger, Martin), and at least one 6'5" player capable of running pseudo point guard (Lee), there is no excuse for not being able to match a team's size. No more Gasol vs. Scola and Bynum vs. Hayes, or Dwight Howard vs. David Andersen or Chuck Hayes.

3) We will be in the penalty all night long.

• On a per minute basis, Lowry, Martin, and Yao are three of the best players in the entire league at drawing fouls. It's too bad charges don't count as team fouls, or this team might set a record for free throws attempted per game.

4) These guys are playing for something again.

• Last season, the Rockets organization more or less threw in the proverbial towel from the very start. With Yao gone and McGrady standing with one foot firmly in his basketball grave, the playoffs were a long shot...a championship all but impossible.

This time around, it's about winning the whole damn thing, and that change in mindset trickles down to every cut, every loose ball, and every defensive stand.

5) Trevor Ariza plays for the Hornets.

• He cannot take anymore bad shots for us.

7 people like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CCR - excellent analysis.

Durv - excellent thread

Rep for you both.

DD

1 person likes this.
  3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont think anyone can be sure of anything at this point...other than we'll be in the 48 to 54 win range more than likely. To try and pinpoint any one amount is impossible to do. The west is too competitive to predict something like that. That being said, they won 42 last year without a true center, below avg defense everywhere except for the 3 spot, no true center, no back up SG, only 2 shooters, and no 20ppg scorers for over half the season. I would think they're at least 10 wins better this year.

As for yao being in and out.....it's not the same as tmac being in and out of the lineup. His role, play, AND PT were very inconsistent. That's what confused others as to how they should play. With Yao, You know what his role is when he's in there and when he'll play. Just gotta treat it like he's taking an extended breather. 24 mins really isn't that bad/different. He's always hovered around 30-32 mins a game, so he's only losing out 6-8 mins. With the depth we have he'd probably only avg 30, even if healthy. It's only going to hurt us in crunch time or overtime, but i think this team is deep enough to take care of business earlier a lot more than later.

1 person likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nicely done. I really like your 4th point.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I like his fifth point. ;)

1. No more Tracy McDrama

2. No more Trevor Anti-efficient.

3. More Yao

4. More Martin

5. More Mr. Reigning Most Improved.

Hows that for optimism??

2 people like this.
  6. kevtse

kevtse Member

Even though Yao is not 100%, I like his presense on the defensive end. He made Lopez missed a couply shots by just standing there with both hands straight up. The inside defense is the much improved category this year!

7. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

1. Chuck slides over to the 4.

2. We have an elite defender at each position:
    PG-Lowry
    SG-Lee
    SF-Battier
    PF-Hayes
    C-Yao

3. Chuck may be able to actually hit a shot (I'll believe it when I see, but if so, a major plus). No more de facto double teams from people sagging off of him.

4. We are a threat BOTH in the fast break (w/ AB, Lee, Lowry, Bud, Martin, and Scola) and in the half-court offense.

5. All our 1st and 2nd team guys are high BB IQ guys

6. Battier is healthy again and will prove that last year's slower step was due to injury

7. Kmart has adjusted to his teammates and vice-versa

2 people like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good observation that I neglected to make. The Rockets can play full-court or half-court basketball now. I hope Yao is practicing that outlet pass.

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

1. Chuck Hayes' improvement on offense

2. Brad Miller's offensive acumen and its effect on the young guys

3. Aaron Brooks' improvement in decision making and passing

4. Kevin Martin and Aaron Brooks' increased focus on defense due to reduced offensive responsibility

5. Shane Battier's put-back dunk :grin:

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Where is Leeb!!!

11. gdenfield

gdenfield Member

Welcome to Clutchfans, Mr. Drexler ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Random #6 reason: We will get Melo

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

So much rep to spread around in this great thread. I guess it makes sense that the threads would get better and more fun to read as our team does. Especially right before the beginning of the season, when anything is possible. It's an exciting year to be a Rockets fan.

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Everyone on the team are leaders. even jermaine taylor, and aww hell ishmael smith. even eric dampier's sorry ass would be a leader on this team. he would lead at sucking if he joined this team. i dislike eric dampier's game so much that i would even go so far as to start mike harris at center before i would ever want dumpier to join this team. :grin:

Pig Miller >>>>> Erica Dumpier

1 person likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nicely done, HF! Especially #1.

In fact, this is the first time in ages we're not distracted by an injured player who may or may not be coming back into the rotation (assuming Hayes' ankle injury is minor).

Besides, just getting rid of McLady and Ariza makes this team so much easier to like.

16. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

For the first time in years the ROX don't have a bad contract or an untradable player. All players are assets and all top 12 players are capable of Starting in the NBA

17. harryrms

harryrms Member

All great points. Off topic here, but I just have to say we need to evaluate the players on both ends at the same time. It's not like you can switch between you all offensive team at one end and instantly to another defensive team as soon as the other team gets the ball. Too many posts saying "oh, we have great offensive players in so and so, and great defenders in so and so". It doesn't work that way.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

#6: Houston's bench: Lowry, C-Bud, Miller, Lee, Hayes/Hill will demolish the other teams' reserves. In fact, if our bench gel as fast I think they will, we could see massive substitutions in the 1st half, thus saving vital energy for our starters. We have the best bench in the league, to wit: how many teams can play with their bench and not miss a single beat? Nobody, not the Lakers, not the Celts, and certainly not Miami. Their starters will be put back as soon as the 5-7 minutes of rest.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

All you really need is one reason why we should be improved from last year: Yao Ming.

20. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Just to be devils advocate, you can't really dispute those facts, but the level in which they will bring improvement is debatable.

Yao and Miller may not bring that much improvement on defense, especially with Yao off the court most of the time and no shot blocking at the 4 spot.

Brooks may not be as effective offensively having to share the ball more, and there is no guarantee that Bud or Martin will perform any better.

I am confident that we will improve, but wouldn't be surprised if we aren't that much better over all.