1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opportunity has to present itself before we can make a move

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 13, 2010.

1. redao

redao Member

If NBA is all about business, yes, patience and cheap bargains are enough for the win.

If winning championship is like winning a war, the wait-and-see way will lose you the battle most of the time.

we might need 100 years' patience to see another ring if we have the best luck.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think Morey's definitely looking at Chandler right now. Not sure exactly what we'd need to give up. But he'd definitely solidify the center position so Yao can come back slowly.

Good point. One I forgot to mention. Morey has indeed made it so that we can pounce on any opportunity given the flexibility of our roster. No matter what the other team need, we can provide something nice.

How do you make chances? Besides keeping in touch with every other team on a consistent basis, to keep checking if the player you want is available? From his deals, it seems there are few, if any, GM faster than Morey.

Scola was more or less a deadline deal.
    Martin, from all accounts only went on the market for like a day before Morey got him.
    Alston was traded I believe a couple of weeks after Nelson went down, and Orlando realized that their PGs sucked ass.
    Artest deal went down right when the asking price got to Morey's level(which was Greene instead of Aaron Brooks the previous year).
    Morey also moved from #24 to #27 to #28 and picked up 2nd rounder in like the 20 minutes while the draft was going on.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

This.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Cool, tell me how championships are REALLY built then.

5. Nero

Nero Member

Hopefully this is why they have not signed Miller just yet. No rush, but can't wait TOO long either.. there must be a balance.

MAN does Uncle Drayton need to hire a Morey protege, and, like, YESTERDAY.

6. redao

redao Member

The championship is built

1. by God. get lucky in drafts and trades. wait and pray.
    2. by money, including
    Big and bold trades.
    overpaying the talents.
    super big payroll.
    buy league officials and referees. ​

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The thing with Chandler right now is, he knows he was traded. Same with Diaw. But the Bobcats pulled those guys out at the last minutes. Now they are kind of in limbo. Bobcats still might want to move them, but perhaps not to Toronto for Calderon/Evans etc. So those players are "in play". And the Bobcats might be "motivated to move them right now."

So again, this could be a chance for Morey to get back involved with trying to orchestrate a Chandler multi-team trade.

8. albuster

albuster Member

Interesting thread. Nicely done.

9. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I think championships are built on 90% luck. What I mean by that is mostly health. If Kobe goes down the Lakers dont win. If Yao stays healthy we have a good shot of facing Denver in the WCF and who knows after that.

Health is the big key. The last 10% is talent and smart management and coaching. Obviously you need a talented team to win. I believe we have that.

All our team needs is a legit back up center. I will be highly upset if David Andersen is still on the roster come training camp.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Right now, waiting till the trade deadline looks like the right decision. However, if we are indeed going to stick with the route of building around Yao for a title then pieces need to be added and added quick before he gets too old.

I like Brad Miller as a player, but he really does little for this team. He is useful offensively, but then so are Andersen and Yao. What we need is a goalie at the rim when Yao goes to the bench. And DM needs to do whatever needed to get that player on the roster.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think the Rockets have not signed Miller yet because Miller hasn't decided that he wants to go to the Rockets yet. He's being courted by several teams, many of which have better championship prospects for next season than Houston.

Also, Morey is very cognizant of cap flexibility. And signing Miller to even a two-year deal, using even only a portion of the MLE, will adversely affect the team's cap flexibility next summer; whereas, trading for a guy like Tyson Chandler, who while extremely overpaid ($12.6M) is in the last year of his contract and will allow the team to open up more cap room for next summer.

Here's hoping that Morey can still pull off a deal for Chandler.

(Oh, yeah. Great thread, meh.)

12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We are not the only team that wants a really good backup C and really good bench players. Other teams want these types of players also. In takes atleast two teams to make trades people. I keep seeing comments "Morey needs to do this and do that" but you fail to realize that in order for him to 'do this or that", another team has to be willing to strike up a deal with us. Also, it has to be a sensible deal.

Hey it looks like Charlottoe is willing to move Chandler, but can we strike up the right deal? I think he would be a real nice backup C here for the right price. Who do we package (THAT CHARLOTTE WOULD WANT, before yall come with crazy ideas) or can we include another team that has something they want? I'm sure Morey is talking to Jordan and Colangelo to get in on the mix. We had probably already put a package together for Bosh so maybe some of that can come back into play.

Funny thing is, even if we got Chandler, the next day people would start posting what other moves we need to make after that to improve the team. It just never stops with you guys Lol

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Brooks, Ariza, Jeffries, and Andersen for Wallace, Chandler, and Augustin?

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree, I think Chandler is target #1 here. Miller #2.

Bima, how about this trade

Houston : Chandler
    Charlotte: Sessions, Jeffries
    Wolves: Andersen

Gives Bobcats a cheaper PG option than Calderon and an expiring in Jeffries. Wolves get an Expiring in Andersen and can go after Ridnour. Rockets improve their C spot and get an expensive expiring.

Bobcats can still ship Diaw to the Raptors for something or whatever.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think morey is going after Danny Granger. We have several young role players and it's time to cash in. Obviously, Chase Budinger will be traded because pacers love their white american players (foster, diener, hansborough, dunleavy, murphy).

I bet pacers believe that budinger is the next great white hope. lol.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah but being a drummer, I'd be careful if I were you with anything Spinal Tap :p

Meh, good stuff, you've been on point for some time now.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The thread title sounds like something you would read off a fortune cookie.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Who do you suggest we take a chance on?

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

First, great post. In regards to the Martin deal - I'd also add that Mark Cuban was chasing Martin for forever as well. Why didn't he end up landing him? Because he wasn't patient and they had already jumped on the deal to bring in Butler and Haywood before the Kings finally gave in and made Martin available. I don't know if he would have preferred one deal to the other, but again, it shows that you have to be patient and await the best opportunities.