1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OPINION SURVEY] Best PF Upgrades & Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 27, 2012.

1. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

It's not going to happen.

Minnesota, Portland and Miami would not accept PPatterson, MMorris, TJones or RWhite in return. You'd have to include OAsik and/or CParsons as well.

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Donatas Motiejunas.

3. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

True.

4. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Answering question 1 only, a few minutes of thought gave me these candidates: Ryan Anderson, Kenneth Faried, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Serge Ibaka, David Lee, Paul Millsap, Blake Griffin, and Zach Randolph. Ryan Anderson probably fits our offense best, but I doubt I'd trade him straight up for anybody else on the list. I would have picked LaMarcus Aldridge before the season started. My choices now would be

1. David Lee - 20 ppg, 11 rpg. No 3 point shot, but our offense is even more about pushing the ball than it is about the 3 pointer. At running the court, at the midrange game, pick and pop as well as pick and roll, playing good team ball and producing without any need to dominate the ball, 3.7 assists per game, 82% free throws - I think he's my choice. And he's fifth in the league in rebounding; maybe that's the best thing about him.

2. Serge Ibaka - Maybe what we really need is a defensive star. Ibaka's offensive contributions are nothing to sneeze at, with 14 ppg and 82.5% free throws, but he's a game changer defensively. And we are desperate for a defensive identity, a team culture that includes a little passion on the defensive end.

3. Kevin Love - he was certainly terrific last year.

4. Kenneth Faried - intensity, rebouding, defense, relentless energy. He's one of my favorite players. Wouldn't fit our offensive scheme much.

5. Ryan Anderson - okay, he's not as good as Blake Griffin or Zach Randolph or LaMarcus Aldridge. But he would fit so well.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Motiejunas isn't a strech 4 who can post up when needed. He's a post 4 who can step outside if needed. His post game is much better than his outside shot.

Problem is he won't get great position on offense and get abused on post defense if he doesn't add some more muscle to his frame.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, Paul Millsap is the right guy for this team, especially if we can get him on such a friendly deal. I don't know if we can, though. I bet he will require a deal similar to the one Andre Iguodala got, not max money but in the $11-14M range.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Love snatches rebounds away from his teammates hands and gets pissed when he they get to the ball before he does. You think he's going to ever want to play with Asik the rebounding machine. Love is all about his numbers, it's insane.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He'd hate playing with Jeremy Lin.:p

9. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I wanted Josh Smith at first but we cant afford to have 2 bigs that struggle to score consistently. I like Aldridge he can post and stretch the floor with his shooting, Milsap is good but he would be my last option because I dont feel he makes us considerable better than the other options that are out there.

With that said my list of attainable players I would like would be cousins, jefferson then Aldridge.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

What is the difference between Trey and Jujuan Johnson? Legit question since I have not seen this kid play.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I don't see how Jefferson would fit on this squad..

he's a slow, strictly low post guy.

the rockets need a versatile guy. like millsap

i'd say josh smith but he's a chucker.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

This makes more sense. Get a guy LIKE Ibaka or Ryan Anderson. Acquire a player like Bismack Biyombo (still raw, not a starter yet, but a defensive beast, but much more affordable than bigger names like Love, LMA, etc.) or a stretch 4 like Anderson. Rockets may not need to look further than their own bench for this type of player. Both TJones and Motiejunas have the ability to play in the post as well as on the perimeter.

Otherwise, pay for a guy like Josh Smith or Millsap. Both will be available as FAs next season so Rockets should not have to trade the farm for a partial year rental. Both guys are undersized for the PF spot but they also bring different strengths. Smith is the guy who will run all day and play above the rim. Millsap is the intangibles guy who does everything well but nothing spectacular.

13. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Ryan Anderson has no defense at all...a big no to him unless hes coming off the bench like he is in NO..Hes a great shooter and solid rebounder..He kills on the offensive end and gets killed on the defensive end...No more One way players the Rockets have had enough of those already

14. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

In order to compete for a championship we need an elite big. I think out of the players mentioned Kevin Love and Aldridge are the only ones.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Since no one else listed has range out to the three point line (Millsap has a career average of 1 three point shot every five games) I gotta go wive Love, then D-Mo.

Do you all realize that a traditional PF like Aldridge, Millsap etc. is going to completely change the Rockets strategy? It will no longer be as fast, the drives from the outside will mostly be gone, and they will not be near as entertaining as they are now.

#35 jtr, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  16. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Your not going to get the perfect player. But when looking at the group of names mentioned: Jsmith, Millsap, Anderson (not counting the rest, unrealistic) Anderson is probably the best choice when u look at fit with the team, age, contract.
    Jsmith will come with a hefty price, a great player but doesn't have the go-to scoring that usually comes with it. But elite Defense.
    Millsap will give you 16-7 tops, not much room to grow there.
    Anderson is young and has room to grow.
    Really couldn't go wrong with either three though.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I wouldn't fool with anderson.He's a nice regular season type of dude like novak. Sure he's a better rebounder,but he's a big shooter who really doesn't do anything else. If it were me, I would wait on Kevin Love with straight cash and a chance. While waiting on Love,I would be getting Do-nuts and Jones a lot of gametime. I don't see any special qualities in morris and patterson,but jones and do-nuts do. If those guys flash,then the team could shift their focus on upgrading the pg spot.

18. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

The biggest upgrade is starting Greg Smith at the 4. I have been saying this since the preseason. Yes, he can shoot and make the midrange shot. Yes, he can still back up Asik when Asik is resting or in foul trouble (the latter rarely). No, he probably can't drill 3-pointers regularly, but I'd rather see him dunk, catch, and putback.

19. dduong5

dduong5 Member

Who is this guy?

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think it's Nikola Mirotic. Not completely sure though.