1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinion: McHale's heart is not in coaching.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShiniKashi, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

McHale's heart is not in coaching. I don't know why anyone hasn't brought this up, but I can really just observe a disconnect just from his actions. He has mentally checked out, probably due to his daughter's death. He's not sleeping well, pulling a Van Gundy esque impression (check under his eyes), and he's not taking care of his appearance like he usually has done (his beard.)

I think he just is going through the motions at this point. There's no joy in it anymore for him.

Thoughts?

2. Nook

Nook Member

I will agree with you that he always looks exhausted and scruffy. However, he looked like that long before he was the Rockets coach.

I think that McHale is a lifer, he works long hours, sleeps on his office sofa and really doesn't know how to do anything else. He clearly does not need money, but has looked for a job in the NBA for a long time.

You never know though, maybe one day he will just walk into Morey's office and quit. Look at Van Gundy, everyone thought he would be coaching again by now.

3. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Could certainly be the case, losing a child - not everyone bounces back from that, totally understandable

1 person likes this.
  4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Close this thread. Ban this user.

His hearts not in it? GTFO

I'm sure you expected this team with the average age of 22 to know how to play NBA basketball right off the bat, never hit any speed bumps, never make mistakes young teams make. Go 82-0 and cruise to 13 straight NBA championships

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Without seeing the games and only results, I think he's done an admirable job given the situation and turnover on the roster. The late collapse was pretty damning last year but that was his first year and there weren't huge expectations coming in.

I'm sure it is hard given the situation with his daughter and the lack of experience on this team for a guy who does seem to have a Van Gundy-esque discipline in his coaching (including some downright stubbornness that JVG had).

There may not be joy at this given moment but with coaching I don't know if the joy is always there on the journey...but it will come back if we ultimately reach a level of being contenders.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He wouldn't be coaching right now if his heart wasn't in it.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, was JVG's heart also not in coaching for his entire career?

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Wow, really?

So his beard just naturally grows in as a goatee?

And his daughter passed away, twice, since this is at least the second time he's grown it out this season?

C'mon....

1 person likes this.
  9. teebone21

teebone21 Member

I think morey fooled him and never told him he would gut the team of its talent and start over with group of scrubs

10. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

the scrubs are doing better then last year team

11. just a word

just a word Member

While I agree that he looked particularly tired these past games, haggard under the eyes and very scruffy, I don't think you can really assign motivation to it.

It's speculation; you're not his confidant, you're not in the locker-room.

Let me speculate about you: You're a LOF who is looking for a good reason to argue that McHale should be fired, and Harden traded, and is probably asian and bitter. This seems like a plausible reason for your actions, eh?

And while I might have accidentally described you in part, it's probably untrue because I don't know you.

12. TTNN

TTNN Member

come on, give your coach some love.... :)

13. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

I'm just saying that one does not simply 'get over' grief that quickly. I think it has taken a much bigger toll on him than we might expect. I've been in counseling for many years, and as much as people would love to just be done with grieving, it doesn't happen overnight.

14. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

And I didn't even mention him being fired. We all know a better coach would help the team, but he's what we got right now. I'm just speculating for the next season. A LOF? I've been critical of Lin for a while now. He's not getting it done right now. I think he can improve, but that's on him to do so. I was a fan pre Yao. I've been here for a LONG time.

When you lose someone personal and close to you, things like games and other stuff just seem small and insignificant.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The rockets held a team meeting over dinner this past saturday. They called people out...talked over their play. don't you think Mchale is probably stressing out over the players not playing well? It's not like the team is putting in the effort and McHale is just making bad or no decisions. If anything, he's out there experimenting and trying to change things up. He's actually reacting to their poor play. Is that what a coach does when he's checked out?

16. just a word

just a word Member

exactly. my speculation is WRONG. That's my POINT.

You're speculating on McHale. You're probably wrong.

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Was his heart into coaching before the losing streak? or did his heart suddenly lost it during the losing streak?

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree, I wish I had the power to ban. That would keep me busy for a while.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Well just look at him! It CLEARLY tells the whole story.

[​IMG]

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

OPINION what part of that do you not understand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.