1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Operation Iron Snare

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Not that I am defending deadbeats but would this qualify as entrapment?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...Iron-Snare-8217-lures-wanted?urn=ncaaf-wp4586

Regulars to this space know I am rarely at a loss for words. But honestly, there's not much to say here except that this video, chronicling the Opelika, Ala., police department's efforts to lure suspects wanted for unpaid child support into custody with the promise of free Alabama-Auburn football tickets, goes from mildly humorous to mildly disturbing — and then to very disturbing — with unprecedented speed:

<object width="429" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=d3e405780b85102fb207001ec92a4a0d&z=OAN&embed_player=1" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=d3e405780b85102fb207001ec92a4a0d&z=OAN&embed_player=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="429" height="295"></embed></object>

OK, the ruse I get: Rare is the opportunity for authorities to have a wanted suspect walk right into their office. I even kind of get the presence of the local news cameras, in a documentary sense — see "COPS" or "To Catch a Predator" or any of those other cheap thrill shows where the cameras are just along for the ride. Voyeurism, I understand.

But why on earth did the local news actually agree to participate in the ruse? "A police sting involving routine, nonviolent offenders? Yeah, our reporting team really wants to play an integral role in making that happen." Really? The next time Channel 3 sticks its microphone in some random citizen's face, forgive him if he spends the entire interview looking over his shoulder for black vans.

As quick and dirty entertainment, though ... well, there it is. "Nearly a dozen" people were arrested in this fashion last Friday, according to the Opelika-Auburn News, which doesn't have much else to add to the story, either. What else is there? Alleged deadbeats love the Iron Bowl, too, and they're paying dearly for it.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

They weren't entrapped to not pay their child support.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not so much concerned about the police as the use of the news.
    They going from reporting the news to . .. being a part of the news
    only a slippery slope to MAKING THE NEWS

Let's say a competitor says. . WHY DIDN'T WE GET THIS SHOT
    so .. they run their own scam . . get a bunch of offenders in a room
    then call the cops. . . so they are the 1st on the scene. . . .

being the people are 'criminals' . .. no one will b**** about it
    but
    come to find . .one isn't a criminal . . and some reason dies in custody
    NOW . . all of a sudden it is a crime against nature/god/and country
    and everyone is outraged!!

They can do whatever they want to people we don't give a ***** about
    then . . once the precedent is set. . it is used against people we DO CARE ABOUT
    by then
    it is too late to b*Tch about it.

Rocket River

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Support your children or face arrest and public ridicule. I'm all for it.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with all comments. If I'm the schools I'd be very upset. If I'm the news station, I'd be embarrassed.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Entrapment is when you induce someone into breaking the law when they would not otherwise do so. All they are inducing these people to do it come to a location. This is more like a tricky, safe way to serve an arrest warrant. There is nothing preventing the cops from going to the homes of these people and arresting them, this just saves time and money by having them come to one place.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't they do something like this in Serpico [Al Pachino Movie]

Rocket RIver

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I liked Operation I. Ron. Butterfly.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's a criminal offense but still has all the aspects of a civil/debt matter, I don't think cops should be justified in lying to enforce it. We really can't romanticize cops behaving in this manner.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe, but all I remember from that movie is him getting shot in the cheek. Good cinematography, right there.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Thanks. Wasn't sure what it entailed myself.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

13. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Sea of Love, with Al Pacino and a naked Ellen Barkin (when she still looked good naked)
    [​IMG]

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

it's the music, balloons, and cheering fake fans that bother me...