1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Liquor Stores on Sunday?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Johndoe804, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

This topic recently came up in discussion, so I thought I'd bring it up here. Currently, liquor stores in Texas are closed on Sundays, and hours are limited the rest of the week. Should the prohibition on doing business on Sunday be lifted? Should the restriction on hours of sale be lifted?

I'm of the opinion that these restrictions should be removed. To me, the arguments against it are silly. I've heard that this would inhibit competition from family-run establishments, or that workers would be deprived of Sunday as a day of rest, but I don't see those as legitimate arguments. After all, lifting the restriction doesn't for anybody to open on Sunday, or to be open all night (if the hours restriction were lifted). Secondly, labor is entitled to time off on Sunday to worship if they choose, and employment is at will. Labor isn't being forced to work on Sunday. As for the competition argument, I simply ask: how would a competitor be able to operate on a Sunday if it were too costly to do so? And if it is too costly, perhaps consumers would be better served by that business failing. And this doesn't even address the public health issues associated with limiting the sale of liquors (driving business to bars with higher markups, more people driving after spending time at a bar on Sunday, the black market for after-hours alcohol sales, and so on).

To me this is a no-brainer. We live in a state controlled by the political party that's supposedly small-government, and pro-business, and yet we're limiting the availability of work in this particular industry to six days in a week, and ten hours in a day. Shouldn't businesses be setting their own hours of operation? Governments setting hours of operation for liquor stores doesn't seem to be a very "free market" thing to do.

1 person likes this.
  2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The liquor stores do not want the restrictions removed.

Most liquor stores are family owned small businesses. Having them closed on Sunday gives the owners and staff one day off a week. Also, the larger chains are fine having them closed on Sunday too, as they are at no competitive disadvantage as long as everyone is closed on that day.

You will not see this changed because the liquor stores will strongly oppose it.

3. Buck Turgidson

One summer a couple of years ago, I woke up early on day 4 of a Krause Springs run. Decided to be nice guy and go to the general store in Spicewood to get breakfast for the crew. "Hey, while you're here" I says, "might as well get some more beer." Bluehaired lady behind the counter looks at me (I looked like a guy that had slept, minimally, in a tent for a few nights), shakes her head and says "Son, you outta be in church." It was 9:30 on Sunday morning.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This is nonsense. I want to sell liquors on Sunday. As a 7 days per week store owner, I want no restrictions on what day to sell liquors. But if I choose a break, it would be a weekday.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Something tells me the Spec's owners will be lobbying for the lifting of Sunday prohibition, an archaic leftover from a truly moronic policy nearly a hundred years ago.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Of course they should be allowed to sell on Sundays. IIRC it's the Baptists that are to blame.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 9PM/midnight thing seems pretty archaic, too. Most states have much later shutdown times - 2 or 3 AM - and that includes hard liquor.

I remember having my mind blown when I went away to college and saw full liquor departments in grocery stores.

There are still totally dry counties in Texas.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

No. This state needs more alcohol restrictions. See George W. Bush; Affluenza kid

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Those are the knee-jerk talking points from the left.

The next time that Specs or any significant lobby from the liquor store industry makes a push to remove these restrictions will be the first time.

Please let us know if and when that ever occurs, will you please?

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "knee jerk leftist" (I guess when you're so far to the right, everybody looks like a) isn't attacking the alcohol industry, but is sympathizing with it.

Ask not for whom the knee jerks....

IT JERKS FOR YOU!

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I liked it when most stores were closed on Sunday. Sunday should be family time, or time for watching football. I would hate working Sunday. But, if all other stores are going to be open, I guess liquor stores should be allowed to be open also. Although, if I need liquor I can usually find time to buy it on one of the first six days of the week.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Blue laws are stupid.

13. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

It's actually funny you say that because I was reading an article on this on KHOU from about two years back that mentioned Specs was against lifting the restriction.

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Actually funny you say this, too. The same article I read earlier that I'd mentioned to GladiatoRowdy noted that Specs was against removing the prohibition, but that the push for legislation was actually from alcohol distributors. Perhaps the blue law makes their distribution operations messy in some way? I thought it was strange. I'll have to find that article.

15. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Legislation to make it legal to sell on Sunday's, that is.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

So why impose a legal restriction? If the owners want to close on Sunday no one's stopping them.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

that something is your r****ded brain that is repeatedly malfunctioning. don't trust it

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He uses the non-ANSI != instead of <>. Don't pay too much attention to him.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Complete horse****. Stores should have a choice whether or not they want to stay open on Sunday.

I always chuckle when I go into a convenience store or a Walgreens in New Mexico and you can buy liquor there.

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The real question is: are you in favor of this restriction?