1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Day 25-man Roster predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Commodore, Feb 12, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

Would have been funny if Luhnow had announced Jose Quintana as the opening day starter.

[​IMG]

cmlmel77 and texans1095 like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We have 2 SS and a 2B that are better offensively than our 1B or corner OFs.

That used to be unthinkable in baseball, but SS & 2B are really strong around much of MLB while 1B is a problem area.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looking more like McHugh is going to start season on DL. I think Astros run with Giles, Harris, Gregerson, Devenski, Sipp, Feliz, Gustave, and Hoyt will be the 8 man bullpen.

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This is why I am still a bit upset Reed was sent down. Gurriell would have been a good 3B, but is a replacement-level 1B (at best). Reed at least has the potential to be above average, butwe won't know whether he will develop into that based on what he does in AAA, and nor will he develop further. We have the line-up this year to let him work through MLB adjustment issues. Hopefully that happens at some point this year.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

What was your proposed solution? With McHugh ailing and LMJ and Keuchel coming off injuries, 13 pitchers was a requirement according to the team.

7. conquistador#11

It's almost opening day. wooooo.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's not impossible to work on deficiencies in the minor leagues. It definitely takes more of a concerted effort to address his weaknesses and not coast on his superior talent but it's doable. I'll be disappointed if when he gets called up he has the exact same problems as before.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Never expected to say this, but Morton looks great so far. I know its super early, but how he's pitching is very exciting, beyond just looking at his stats. If we could get at least an early Fister performance out of Morton, then that would be huge. Especially true if it takes McHugh a month or so to get to MLB innings.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this is a damn solid bullpen

12. Buck Turgidson

They *really* need Sipp to have a bounceback year.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well, it's certainly crowded, not sure how good after the top 4 though.

I think Sipp is capable of a bounce back year, and Feliz showed signs of absolute dominance, but he couldn't maintain it (although I do feel really good about him). Hoyt and Gustave are still largely unknown quantities. I'm confident at least one of those 4 will be really good for us. The best thing I can say about the pen, is that aside from Peacock, I think all of the guys have a chance to be valuable weapons for us.

Peacock's good stretch last year does not hold up under inspection, so I think he's only here because McHugh is out and we don't wanna lose him for nothing. One way or the other, I doubt he is on the roster long.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've always expected he will be really good for us if he is able to stay off the DL for a significant chunk of the year. The man has been made of glass, so I have very little confidence that we get 150 out of him. Sure hope I'm wrong though.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

When McHugh comes back, things will get interesting. The weak link in the bullpen will be gone. I would not be surprised if Sipp is the one to go.

16. Nook

Nook Member

This. Sipp needs to bounce back or someone else needs to emerge to fill his role.

I still don't trust Giles either but he deserves a shot.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I could be reading into things, but it sounds like they think Peacock is best arm for subbing for starter after horrible short outing without being so good that they would want to use him in higher leverage situations.

18. Buck Turgidson

Of course. He's the long man, or mop up guy, would have been Fiers.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

How many long-capable guys do they need? Feliz, Devo and Peacock are all capable of multiple innings. Hinch said that having Peacock allows him to have Devo go in higher-leverage situations, but he's already got his back three returning from last season. There must be a lot of concern about the rotation's durability.

20. Buck Turgidson

For the first month? Several.

Keuchel - coming off injury
    LMJ - coming off injury
    (McHugh) - on DL
    Morton - coming off injury
    Musgrove - injury history, 1st year in the OD rotation
    Fiers - inconsistent getting through the 5/6th inning

Like you said, they plan to use Devo in more important situations. Nobody knows what we have in Feliz. Peacock takes over the 'insurance' mop-up detail when a guy gets blown up in the 2nd inning. Then after a month, they re-evaluate things.