1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Day 25-man Roster predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Commodore, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Matt Carpenter hit leadoff as Cards best hitter. The second spot, according to statisticians, has the best mix of opportunities with men on base and plate appearances. The 3rd spot statistically has the most ABs with 2 outs and no men on and as such may not be the most optimum place for the best hitter.

2. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Correa is going to be our best hitter this year

texans1095 likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Altuve significantly outslugged Springer last year (.531 v .457). I recognize it was probably an anomaly - but even so, Altuve slugged .456 the previous two years ('13-'14); Springer .457 the past two years. And while Altuve has more stolen bases, anecdotally, I consider him a worse baserunner. (Again, that's my fuzzy memory/bias - but Altuve *seems* to run into a lot more outs on the basepaths.)

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There is a 50% chance that would be a bad thing

Rodman23 likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Altuve is arguably statistically, among the worst base runners in MLB.

6. Hey Now!

Yep; I'd be OK with Springer-Altuve-Bregman-Correa; god, I remember Beltran just raking in the two hole in '04. At some point, I think Bregman is going to be the ideal lead-off hitter - but I'm content to let that develop rather than force it. And I like him hitting second as I think it'll provide Altuve and Correa, not to mention Beltran, ample run-scoring opportunities.

It's a good problem to have.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

God I hope not. It's not in Correa's DNA to hit .340. Leave hitting for average to guys like Altuve and Bregman. Now if you said Correa's going to lead the league in HRs from the SS position, that's a different story.

8. juicystream

So much of Altuve's slugging is BA driven though (prior to last season, which BA is still a part of, but he showed legit power). Altuve is a much better base stealer. Altuve gets thrown out more, but because he is more aggressive, though I'd give George the edge when it comes to base running outside of stealing (I'd guess Springer is actually the faster of the 2, and seems to be better at risk management).

9. Hey Now!

Yep, but so, too, is his on-base percentage. He never walks.

That's why the prospect of Altuve falling off a cliff scares me so much; he's so unconventional. But... it's three years and counting, so who am I to make any assumptions?

10. juicystream

Baseball Reference measures it. He's +10 runs for his career (mostly driven by his ridiculous 56 steals to 9 caught in 2014).

11. juicystream

I'm not afraid anymore (I was originally as I thought we should have traded him, oops). Tony Gwynn was like that. If he walks like he did last year (or grows on it), he'll continue to be an MVP caliber player.

12. bobrek

In 2015, he was picked off 8 :eek: times. He was thrown out trying to advance a whopping 19 times and caught stealing 13 times. He improved to 4, 10 and 10 last year.

Bear_Bryant likes this.
  13. juicystream

Nobody gets picked off like him. Springer got caught stealing 10 times (plus one pickoff) and surprising to me got thrown out on the bases another 11 times.

In fairness, some of those pickoffs are also included in CS (1 last year & 3 in 2015) and 8 of those OOB were at home which has to be partially to blame on Gary Pettis.

#73 juicystream, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer is fast once he gets past that initial jump, and he's as athletic as they come... but he lacks that natural quick-twitch speed that all great base-stealers tend to have (including Altuve).

Bagwell made up for what he lacked in speed with impeccable base-running and base-stealing technique.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. bobrek

Rickey Henderson faints.

16. juicystream

Craig Biggio was never better than Bagwell, but he was an incredible offensive player in his prime hitting lead off. Barry Bonds was a leadoff hitter early in his career. Mike Trout was a leadoff hitter early on as well.

17. Buck Turgidson

I'm glad I kept reading instead of immediately replying, because I was going to post that exact same thing.

18. MrBear1

I don't really pay attention to batting average, much more valuable statistics to review when determining the best hitter (which is what I said, I never said Correa will have a better BA).

I expect Correa to lead the team in wRC+ this season, thus crowing him best hitter on the team.

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Correa is gonna go .285 | .375 | .500 with 35 bombs this season. True breakout.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. MrBear1

Yep, exactly what I am thinking.

290/380/515 or somewhere around there. 900+ OPS