1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open carry gun law making its way through Texas legislature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 22, 2015.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Aw hell, just what we need, a butterfingers with a firearm.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only folks I see going open carry are glamour gun owners. Guys who want to show off their 2K DE with custom grips. Folks with unpractical guns. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of these fools get robbed for their guns on the street.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The 3.3"? How's the recoil on that?

4. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Okay well bar was a bad example. But say a road rage incident where the guy is coming at you. All you have to do is turn your hip and show (not pull the gun out) there is a gun on your hip and he backs off and retreats back to his car. Surely this can't be illegal. I would rather deter a fight or potential damage to my property.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Road Rage with guy coming at you, drive off. If he follows, drive to police station. If there is anything you need to know about concealed carry is that the weapon is not to be used to intmidate. By showing your weapon, you are escalating a situation. If he has a weapon, guess what happens. He draws, you draw, something bad goes down.

You need to get your head straight before considering a CHL. Take classes. Understand what is at risk when carrying. It's not the wild west.

6. CometsWin

I think he's just saying if you're open carrying, that is intimidation in and of itself. Open carry may prevent people from starting nonsense with you but it can also make you a target.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is the key.

OP is counting on the other guy not having a weapon and/or not thinking "OH CRAP HE'S PULLING A GUN ON ME" instead of "OH CRAP HE HAS A GUN I BETTER F.O."

Having a gun doesn't give you the right to claim it as some kind of ultimate checkmate device for arguments. It's a last resort for personal protection.

If you can definitely diffuse/avoid a situation, you need to do that. Leave the Dirty Harry stuff in the movies where it belongs.

8. Falcons Talon

The thing is, I see absolutely no reason for open carry. While it may be a deterent, the instant anyone carrying see a weapon intentionally flashed, there will be a condition orange, and that is one step away from the condition red... poo hitting the fan.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

LOL first off I said open carry "efforts" which I instantly defined to mean "r****ds walking around with rifles." you took that to mean open carry in general. Then as proof posted a reaction/damage control/apology for this statement

Example of why the D&D sucks.

10. CometsWin

Yeah, you were misinformed.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Hmm, not at all. You just thought you had a little coin got excited and posted it.

12. Butterfingers

This... I am trying to understand the legality of it, not the ethical / moral / or what you should do. From what I am gathering this is now legal and no longer considered Brandishing a Firearm / Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon / Misdemeanor Deadly Conduct.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm no lawyer, but I would think that raising your shirt to show a gun that had been hidden would be interpreted differently from wearing it out in the open all the time, and that a prosecutor could make the argument that a person was brandishing by raising his shirt. I suppose it provides a better defense than the old law would against such prosecutions, but I don't think I'd count on it.

14. Butterfingers

Again I am assuming you are wearing it over your shirt out in the open (since it is legal now) and you get out of your car and adjust your body (turn hip) in a way where the gun is easily visible.

15. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

how small is your d*ck?

16. Falcons Talon

You really can't be serious. How old are you.

17. Falcons Talon

That's a pretty awkward question to ask. Not surprised though.

18. Butterfingers

Again I am asking a hypothetical legal question. This law completely changes the way people can interact now in public.

19. Falcons Talon

Since this has not been passed, there is no way to predict how this act will be viewed, but maybe you can get an idea by the way other open carry states deal with it.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You could meet an armed man who sees that gesture as a threat therefor allowing him to see you as a threat worthy of shot.

Brandishing a firearm is one of the dumbest things someone could ever do. The Emperor has no clothes type ****.