1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open carry gun law making its way through Texas legislature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 22, 2015.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a nice place to learn some stuff about the NRA:

Frontline - Gunned Down: The Power of the NRA

2. Buck Turgidson

You're right. My father, grandfather, and most all of my relatives wized up and quit being members and/or giving a f**k about the NRA sometime in the late 80's to early 90's when they morphed from their traditional stance as a sporting, hunting organization into a bunch of La Pierre political gun whores.

Started giving our money to the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept instead. Much, much more beneficial use of funds.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...except that the whole "live and let live" argument breaks down when someone comes up to you with a gun.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It isn't like he was shooting randomly and 32 people happened to be killed. He killed people he was aiming at. If another student got the same result while aiming at him, it wouldn't result in 32 more people getting killed, it would just stop his rampage.

1 person likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I know, but I think it would be pretty rare to actually see some DB open carrying -- you'd see it every once in a while but it wouldn't turn Houston into the WWW.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Is this a story after all the stories about how the gun lobby doesn't have power anymore and the tone has changed?

7. Bandwagoner

I'm right that you are probably completely misinformed? That seems to be because the NRA created the lobbying arm (NRA-ILA) in 1975 as a response to the gun control act. 40 years ago.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Talk about misinformed.

"The National Rifle Association unapologetically and unflinchingly supports the right of self-defense and what that means is that our members and our supporters have a right to carry a firearm in any place they have a legal right to be. If that means open carry, we support open carry. If it means concealed carry, it means concealed carry. So unequivocally we support open carry, we've been the leader of open carry efforts across this country, the leader in opposing efforts to curtail the ability to carry firearms, and that's something we're proud of and we do every day for our members."

NRA Chief Lobbyist Chris W. Cox

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what a reasonable title! sure to be a fair look!

The NRA is powerful because it is the largest civil rights organization in the country. It is extremely effective at mobilizing voters and influencing representatives. It's the gold standard for freedom of association and the right to petition the government.

10. Major

Major Member

It's also the gold standard for how an industry can take over a grass roots organization and quietly reshape it entirely for their own interests. The NRA today is not remotely interested in the things it was doing when it was a grassroots rights organization for gun owners. Today, it is largely funded by and generally pushes the interests of gun manufacturers. It is essentially the gold standard for how corporations buy government policy.

1 person likes this.
  11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad to finally see an opinion of your own instead of a hyperbolic tweet.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, but if a quad full of untrained students started firing, while also taking fire, I'm not sure they would be as accurate. With all of the bystanders around adding more lead into the air ins't a good idea.

I was mentioning the untrained guy killing 32 because that was what was brought up in the post I was responding to.

The odds of an untrained guy hitting a gunman who is firing on him aren't very good. Bullets that miss keep going. In a potentially crowded area that's bad. It gets worse the more untrained gunmen's bullets that are being fired.

13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wIMiLF_L8s8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Very good point. When you have nearly 90% of American supporting universal background check and Congress can't get anything done due to the NRA/Gun Manufacturers, what you stated is very true.

15. Bandwagoner

In 2004 it was given the option to get the gun liability bill in exchange for the AWB to not sunset. NRA said no thanks.

Article on NRA funding. http://www.factcheck.org/2013/01/do-assault-weapons-sales-pay-nra-salaries Nearly half comes from member donations. If the NRA was just a corporate slave it would have no power.

#135 Bandwagoner, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Really? If nearly half is from member, that leave the other half from non-members. I would assume large portion of that is from gun-related manufacturer.

If you have 4M contributing $50 each and 20 corp contributing $5M each, I think it's common sense that the 20 would have the much large voice.

17. Bandwagoner

The logic fails when the 5 million people can vote. They can also call/write their reps. The NRA grades are not just used by the 5 million paying members.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

200+ Million can vote. 90%+ are for universal background check. Congress fail to act. Money speak loudly. Individual - yea right.

19. Bandwagoner

Money is not the NRA's power. The NRA has power because they can directly get you voted out. They are not threatening to cut funding to reps, the threat is you majorly piss off your voters. You know this right? The NRA is not oil and gas, banking or pharm.
    https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?showYear=2014&indexType=i

Newton was a blip in a trend of people favoring gun rights.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.people-press.org/2014/12/10/growing-public-support-for-gun-rights/

20. Buck Turgidson

You are much more eloquent than I.

When are you running for office, btw? ;)