1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open carry gun law making its way through Texas legislature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 22, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iAPqjmjqlj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You could make a case the founding fathers were a bunch of terrorists. They just happen to win.

3. body slam

body slam Member

I'm all for gun rights and concealed carry, but open carry just seems like a bad idea.

What's the point behind open carry?

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I can agree with some of that (as well as absolutely support the current safety standards and requirements). I wouldn't said they do nothing since at minimum, you must pass a driving test to get a driving licence. But I can agree there are major holes and room for improvement - such as too often I see senior obviously not able to see very well driving. One reason I'm very much in favor of and looking forward to technology such as driver-less car.

I believe fatality associated with automobile as % of US population has been on a steady decline - so even if it's as you said, it's very one sided, it's working to reduce deaths.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK, so it's settled. We can all cary muskets out in the open.

You sure do put a lot of stock in the eternal, transformable ideas of men who would've **** themselves had they seen a ceiling light.

6. MystikArkitect

Slavery was there at the founding. Women couldn't vote at the founding. That argument...just brainless.

7. Buck Turgidson

Or a black woman in a voting booth.

8. Buck Turgidson

Heh, probably could have taken the time to read just one more post before I replied. Great minds....

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If you actually think that someone with a knife or a hammer has the same potential for dealing out fatal damage as someone with a gun, then you are deluded.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't see much difference between concealed and open carry. I actually like knowing who is packing.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

someone compared support for open carry laws to be equivalent to the Taliban

which makes no sense unless you want to draw moral equivalence between the Taliban and a civil right that has existed since the countries' founding

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which is a great point against your argument that more bullets flying around an open public space would have been a good thing.

Your argument made no sense and the defense you tried to use against my argument only hurts your argument more.

Look at what your saying... Because one untrained college kid killed 32 people firing in open public spaces, a bunch of untrained college kids firing in that same open public space at the same time would have been better...?

It's cool to just admit that you weren't thinking when you made your post.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You shouldn't need a CHL to carry a gun on your person anyways. You can keep it in you car without one but need a permit to have it on you in public?

I'm tired of having to renew my permit.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

What? You can throw a Macbook air at someone's head & open up a huge gash.

From someone who's both understood & not understood guns at some point in their life, I can agree with bobbythegreat's statement.

That being said, coming from a gun enthusiast, open carrying an AR into Chipotle is ****ing r****ded. However, people should have no problem with open carrying a holstered handgun.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'm sorry... I don't see any reason some jamoke should need to walk into any public place with a holstered or unholstered firearm. Ridiculous.

Those the first major shooting that results will make a good time to repost the picture of the ex-governor and supporters with their pistols drawn merrily. Should reinforce the reasons why these laws were being pushed...

[​IMG]

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I can't see how open carry improves society.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

historically, why do you think people chose to open carry?

18. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

CHL holder chiming in here. I don't agree with open carry. i don't support open carry. I don't really see any possible need for open. I know we have 30.06 which prevents carry of any type at certain places, and the 51% sign for bars, so I would think that these laws would apply to open carry, but having a holstered, exposed sidearm at any given time just makes no sense to me.

I know people will say the same thing for concealed carry, but with concealed carry, the weapon is not exposed. Mine is either in my boot or tucked in nicely on my hip. If the poo hits the fan, I'm not going to have people grabbing at my sidearm because people will not know I have it.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wusses hoping a weapon exposed acts as warning to danger.

Even if open carry were passed I would open carry. It's like playing poker with you ****ing cards showing.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Right. So when a couple of young guys in t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops stroll into Chuy's with Colt Troopers or S&W Model 586's strapped around their waist, stand around waiting, then get a table and order nachos and margaritas, and if less than 51% of the sales of that establishment is from alcohol, they can legally do just that, then folks there with their kids, grandchildren, along with their elderly grandmothers and aunts, are going to be thrilled? No, they are far more apt to be nervous, worrying if those young guys are going to do something stupid.