1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open carry gun law making its way through Texas legislature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have....that doesn't mean I'm afraid of the gun because that would be stupid. I have a healthy fear of people acting irresponsibly or with dangerous intent with guns, but that's not the same thing. I've seen cars kill people too, that doesn't make me have a panic attack when I walk past a used car lot.

I'm not really worried about people having guns on them, so long as they are in their holster, they do no damage. People acting irresponsibly or dangerously is a separate issue IMO because it's a problem no matter what they are being irresponsible or dangerous with.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The big difference being that being irresponsible with a knife or a hammer involves dramatically less potential fatalities than the same irresponsibility with a firearm.

This is also coming from a firearm owner who fully supports the ability of law-abiding citizens to own firearms. However, I also support requiring those owners, particularly those who want to be licensed to carry a firearm on their person, to be properly vetted and trained.

1 person likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The comparison between firearms and automobiles is such a disingenuous comparison.

Do you seriously trust a bunch of 21 year olds in a lecture hall packing heat even if they are all are vetted?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you aren't afraid of someone acting irresponsible with a knife or hammer then you aren't fully aware of what they can really easily do to people.

As to the vetting and training of those who want to carry firearms, I'm all for that as well. Responsible people with firearms is a good thing.

How old do you think most people in the military are? You trust 18 year old military members to protect you but think that 21 year olds can't be responsible with firearms?

Sure bad things can happen, but that's just life, might as well accept that.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Can't really expect an intelligent conversation when it comes to guns, some people are just irrationally in love with their guns, so it always becomes more emotional than intellectual. I'll never understand the unconditional love of an inanimate object that some have.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It isn't disingenuous. Fatalities from automotive accidents are something that is completely brushed off by society. You constantly hear about lead toys, heart attack risks, cancer and nothing about even a marginal increase in driver training or testing. I hate saying this in a firearms thread but it is the only threads where it comes up.

Infinitely better than no bullets going his way. As he was a complete coward he would have probably just shot himself instead of fought even if they missed.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

In many aspects this is very true.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, more bullets flying around in a crowded public would have been infinitely better. Especially when they are fired by untrained random college kids. The more bullets being shot the safer it would be for everyone.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I spent roughly an entire year of boot camp, SOI, and fleet training before I was ready to shoot at an actual human being. Do you think a 21 year old college junior has the same level of training.

10. Bandwagoner

An untrained random college kid killed 32 people, your argument is r****ded.

11. Bandwagoner

With only a fraction of that being firearms training, yes I think tons of 21 year olds were better with a gun than you were a year into your military career.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You know that's disingenuous because learning to use a firearm is nowhere near all you were learning during that time. I could properly handle a firearm long before I went to basic, that wasn't something I learned there. A majority of military training is PT and molding people into soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines who will follow orders and remain disciplined physically and mentally. Very little of that is relevant to a civilian carrying a firearm to protect themselves and others.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't have an opinion on this matter, but I don't think the likelihood of **** going down in a typical university lecture hall is extremely low guns or no guns.

I mean i can understand a bar or something where people are idiotic and pumped full of alchohol, but most people goes to lectures to learn something, whether they are carrying guns doesn't change that.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It is not brushed off. In fact, it's very serious and society has and continue to support new safety requirements due to it. Car are safer because of car safety requirements. We continue to get new safety requirements over the year. Car manufacturer continue to invest into safety features and consumer continue to accept them. Government continue to monitor car safety as a serious public health concern and punishes manufacturer heavily whenever they fail on that front (e.g. Honda just recently was fined $70 Million for their failure to report safety issues). The public has a trust that much is being done to keep car safe and to improve safety through everything from training, licensing, registration, testing, reporting, regulations, etcs.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yes, if you support gun rights as they existed at the founding, you're like The Taliban

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I definitely would feel much better. But still, if someone open carry assault rifles, I would be very nervous. They either clearly want to make a statement of their right and/or just idiot with no respect to how people feel around them.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Open carry of rifles is already legal.

18. Bandwagoner

I didn't want to get too deep in my post but I think what you mentioned is a huge problem. The government is very willing to push one aspect of safety, the car manufacture. Huge plastic 5 mpg bumpers that you can hit pedestrians with, airbags, incredibly strong beams in doors for side impact. They are willing to do NOTHING to regulate the main problem, the reason for the impacts, the ****ty drivers.

Also I want to add the roads are way safer. Guardrails, on ramp design, huge powerful lights. Nothing done to regulate drivers.

19. Buck Turgidson

When I brought up automobiles earlier, this was my point, in case that wasn't clear to anyone.

I have very little problem with trained, licensed people carrying handguns, concealed of otherwise. I'm just very leery of the current training requirements, and I have a general low regard for the responsibility/non-stupidity of many of my fellow citizens.

Wasn't there a case recently of a licensed CHL holder getting killed by her toddler who was playing around in her purse in a grocery cart? These are the idiots I'm talking about (not the toddler, obviously).

20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I totally agree. The government should be making it more difficult for people to own and drive cars and use eminent domain to redesign our cities to be more mass-transit friendly.