1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One suggestion to stop teaming up of superstars

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bronxfan, Feb 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

i understand the league has always had teams with multiple superstars..

magic/kareem
    mchale/bird
    olajuwon/drexler
    shaq/kobe

etc...

however these were created by trades/good or lucky drafting, etc...
    more than superstar conspiracy..

my suggestion to stop or at least slow this down is this:
    increase the Max amount a player can get by 50%. this way a team will still sign that one superstar but the next superstar would really have to take much less... and I don't think egos will allow as much teaming up if superstar B is that much lower than superstar A...
    the total salary cap per team will still be the same and so the players as a whole won't suffer...

thoughts? other suggestions?

1 person likes this.
  2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

My thoughts are it doesn't matter how a team was created, at the end of the day the results are still the same...a few stacked teams. I like how you consider one team ripping off another a good way to build a team but signing a free agent is somehow a bad way. I also like how you left tanking out of the equation, since that's what led to every title to come through Texas.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ I guess the Mavericks need two superstars... :grin: 0 championships

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why not just harden the cap (to some degree) and say there is no max player salary? This would sprinkle one star per team. Anybody think LeBron, Wade, CP3, Melo (or anyone else) would turn down $25-$35 million from a desperate franchise? To have some mercy on teams that draft well, maybe a franchise tag could apply up to year 7 or so.

Ain't no way the "trio" in Miami would have happened under these circumstances.

6. amaru

amaru Member

I have a feeling the salary cap will harden in the new CBA

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No. How about suck it up? The NBA would be boring if everyone was on an even playing field. You need contenders, pretenders, underdogs, dark horses, etc. It's what keeps the NBA unique and fun to watch. The NBA has been successful this far, just let it run its course.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How would you define "superstar"?

What if that superstar no longer was one at the middle of his contract?

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The thing is, players see what it takes to win a championship. The teams that have won it in recent history have had multiple great players.

Honestly, If you don't have that (or have players that can develop into that) you're just spinning your wheels. If not Lebron and Wade, someone would take that monetary risk.

I may be, I may be wrong....but I doubt it.

10. bronxfan

I have no problem with have's and have-nots, but i think the risk of letting players congregate to "stacked" teams, is that LA and NY and other glamorous destinations have a huge advantage b/c of endorsements...

I would rather the NBA not go the way of MLB and rather the way of the NFL.

11. bronxfan

I like the idea of a hard cap and no max salary.

basically my idea is also to stop limiting max salaries at a level where multiple max players can be signed by one team.

12. bronxfan

again, I don't mind have's and have nots. I just feel that every team should have a fairly equal chance of becoming a "have".

13. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

So how do you give money to the poor teams in the NBA, as they are currently get money from the luxury tax from teams willing to spend money.
    Where will the NBA get that money from?

14. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Those "poor" teams only receive 3-4 million from the luxury tax. Those teams would be better off financially if salaries are reduced across the board with a hard cap.

15. bronxfan

maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the luxury tax in basketball is to help teams in financial trouble, as much as it is to prevent rich teams from overspending.

(unlike where in baseball , revenue sharing is more to help the poorer teams.)

16. MingMingDynasty

I think it would be better to limit teams to 2 max contracts and the next highest salary cannot be within 20 percent of a max.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

A lot of overreaction going on

18. freeze00up

freeze00up Member

hard cap would definitely be good, but you must consider that the nba is much different from the nfl
    in the nfl you can easily cut players are there are a lot more players on the roster, thus it is much easier to work with the hard cap

clearly bird rights are not a key factor for players to stay mainly because of sign and trades and that players are willing to take some cuts in salary, but removing the max contract is NOT the solution , this could cause desperate teams to way overpay superstars in a league where they are treated like gods anyway

19. ashiin

ashiin Member

I'm drunk so I don't know if what i'm saying is clear with what the OP is intending, but I'm pretty sure if multiple superstars want to team up they would all take a pay cut like what the miami stars did (it's similar but the cut they took was much less than what we think it is).

20. davestrate

davestrate Member

Looks to me teaming up superstars with superstars isn't such a bad idea after all....look at the heat's record in their last 39 games (32-7). Not to mention Lebron being the top candidate to win his third MVP making it an MVP 3-peat.

The reason why we aren't as upbeat about it as other teams are is simply because it's those other teams (Heat and now possibly the Knicks) that have the luxury of putting one together. I'm positive there wouldn't be one soul on this fanbase agaisnt the idea of adding two or possibly three superstars at any point in time (any three of them).