1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

one reason why china is asking too much for yao.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by watchmen77, Jun 7, 2002.

1. watchmen77

watchmen77 Member

i heard this from a chinese friend.
    he believe one reason for such high price that shanghai is demanding is because first yao is one of a generation player and the price limit nba set at 350,000 for his buyout just way too few in chinese's eye.

for example, a chinese soccer player, went to a second rate club in uk, costed around 1.5million uk$, and just this year, anther soccer play to another uk A league club, his buyout is 2million uk$,
    thus 350,000 just far below what chinese want for yao ming. ya i know it is nba rule, but i just it is really quit low compre to soccer players and china felt that they are being cheated by usa rules.

2. Miggidy Markell

A person's destiny should be decided for himself/herself, not decided for him/her. This buyout bullcrap doesn't work for me. How can a group of people be heartless and gutless enough to not let a player persue their destiny? :(

3. Live

Live Member

The flip side:

If Yao develops into a star, he could be in line for a max contact of, what, $90 million US in a few years, of which China gets 50%. And that's just from the Rockets.

I'm sure he'll also have quite a few endorsement deals by that time as well (Nike?, video games, Coca-Cola?, etc.), i.e. more money coming back home to China.

China will still get a fantastic return on its 'investment', all the more reason for the powers that be to 'Play Ball.'

#3 Live, Jun 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2002
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When you're stuck you're stuck- Will the NBA allow extra $ to bring him over if the Sharks continue to hold out for cash? Communism catch the fever!

5. Major

Major Member

A person's destiny should be decided for himself/herself, not decided for him/her. This buyout bullcrap doesn't work for me. How can a group of people be heartless and gutless enough to not let a player persue their destiny?

So, if Francis decides tomorrow that he wants to play for the Wizards, you think the Rockets should just let him go without compensation? Ming is *under contract* with a team in China. Why shouldn't they expect compensation for releasing him from the contract?

This is pure capitalism.

6. Darth West

Darth West Member

Basically you are arguing for trashing the whole system with drafting et al. ... while I dont mind the idea I just couldnt survive on offseason with all extra uncertainty it would bring ... :)

7. TechLabor

TechLabor Contributing Member

The soccer system fits the owner's interest better than that of the players because the clubs get most of the money by selling a player. Sure, it does make the buying and selling international players easier.

The NBA rules need some change for dealing with international players. Ming's case may set an example for later international deals. On the other hand, we have to respest the NBA rules because it is their league after all. It is called the NBA (National Basketball Association) for a reason.

8. edc

edc Contributing Member

Exceptions could/should be made, but I think the rules are probably for the best. Nobody needs a bidding war between NBA teams over the services of a foreign player.

9. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

It is totally differenet. If Francis decided tomorrow that he wanted to play for the Sharks the Rockets would not be able to stop him. Going to the Grizzlies is not the same, because the Grizzlies are part of the NBA, which is a trust. Once a player signs an NBA contract he plays by the NBA rules IF he wants to be in the NBA. The NBA cannot stop him, however, if he wants to pursue other interests, or play in another league. This country eliminated slavery sometime ago.

Despite all that, the Rockets, as well as most other teams have accomodated the player's wishes. Remember Damon Jones was sent to Detroit, becuase he would get more playing time there. Nick Van Exel was also accomodated, even though the Nuggets got screwed majorly in the process.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Rocks could not stop Framcis from going to the sharks but they could sue the crap out of him and the Sharks. Basic business law.

11. watchmen77

watchmen77 Member

another point that i learned: chinese's sports system is totally different from american. in us, i can just go on to street and play ball while maybe try out for a high school team if i want to play team. while in china is totally different. players like yao ming is "invested" by the state at a very young age, they got training 5/6days a week by coach paid by state, plus they have free access to basketball court(believe me, this is a big deal, last time i visited shanghai on a business trip, in the whole city, i only saw ONE basketball court avaiable to public and that court is really really crappy). now we are not talking about just yao ming, time him with another 100000 players and that is a very big investment on china's part, and only one or two players such as yao ming may turn up as a star. and now an usa team comes in and takes him away to make millions for his own team. o well, you see the point, of coruse chinese will except big pay check for their investment to leave.

it is all business here.

12. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

Ever heard of £????
    :rolleyes:

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That would confuse most Texans.;)

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Looks like a fancy L to me. What next? Fancy Ys too? :p

That's true, Watchmen. China does want a return in its investment, but it's in China's economic interests to let Yao go without any hitches to cash in on the publicity and endorsement contracts that they get 50% of.

I believe there are many people who believe that the Chinese government is being too greedy in trying getting everything it pleases. I don't know whether it's true or if they're just playing hardball. And hopefully everything will become clear before draft day.

15. Axeman

Axeman Member

I agree 100%.

I want Yao the player. But it's all this other crud that is starting to worry me. I mean, this guy is becoming a National Symbol of China to the point where we're going to have the Chinese authorities constantly breathing down our necks. The pressure of being an American NBA star is enough in and of itself. Then, add on top of that a whole legion of officials in China who are going to be monitoring and trying to control this guy.

When guys like Nowitzki, Pao Gasol, Schrempf, etc... come over here to play, they just get to play ball. But, I'm afraid Yao is going to be put under so much pressure it will make it hard on him.

I hope I'm wrong, because I want the guy and I want this whole deal to work out.

16. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

watchmen77: THE CHINESE GET HALF OF HIS GOSH DARN SALARY!! I don't know if you realize how much NBA players of his supposed "caliber" make in terms of US£'s, but its purely bussiness, this whole buy out crap is stupid when they extort Yao's money.

17. ESource

ESource Member

SO, if we're calling out the Chinese becuz of the "buyout clause", we're ALSO calling out the European, South American teams, etc., etc. that are ALSO requiring "contract buyouts" for their players, right?! (e.g.) "Nene" Hilario will require a buyout(reports saying $1M) to get out of his Brazilian team contract. He'll be in this draft just like Ming but his buyout seems to be even more than Ming's. So it's not JUST the Chinese, right?:rolleyes:

#17 ESource, Jun 8, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2002
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That symbol means English Pounds for those who don't know.

Currently about 1.4 dollars for every pound.

DD

19. watchmen77

watchmen77 Member

i heard that is a rule installed about 14 years ago. by that time no chinese players except to compete in nba. i heard they are considing change that rule. also wang isn't giving his half to chinese. so will ming. they are not stupid.
    all soccer players aren't give half of their incoming either.