1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"...One of the best shooters we have ever tested here."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidS, May 5, 2003.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Rudy told Najera that he had to be a "nice guy" while wearing a Rocket uniform.

So, Najera said, "Kiss my cola!"

Thus, Rudy, getting his feathers ruffled, traded Najera to Dallas.

And the rest is history: Najera, now known as being one of the toughest DEFENDERS of the league (ala, Ellie, Fox).

2. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

I looked over some stats for some familiar names, in particular...TYUS EDNEY. He averages over 18 pts a game. Euroleague must suck.

3. DavidS

Yeah, that's why I take Euro/Asian Leagues with a grain of salt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Yao like average 30-40 points a game in the Asian Championship? A guy like Pau Gasol probably averaged 30-40 points a game in Spain as well.

Thus, it's no surprise when players of that caliber come to the NBA their averages drop (but stay respectable). If you average 20 point a game in Euro/Asian League, then that probably equates to 8-10 points per game in the NBA at best.

Just speculation though.

#23 DavidS, May 5, 2003
    Last edited: May 5, 2003
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

First off, I didn't say Turkcan scored such and such...I said that he was voted MVP in the Euroleague. This is the top league.

Are you joking?

This is where Gasol, Ginobili, Giricek, Nachbar, Jarik, Tsiki all came from...as well as the guy most Euro-NBA stars call the best player in Europe...Dejan Bodiroga. Bodiroga was voted 2nd to Turkcan in the Top 16 MVP poll this year.

DavidS,

Bodiroga was the starting SG and <a href="http://scifi.pages.at/dejanbodiroga/index-e.htm">
    captain of the World Championship Yugoslavia team</a> this summer.

Gasol played in the Top Euroleague, not some Spain-only league. He averaged 14ppg, I recall. He won the Euroleague Finals MVP right before the draft.

5. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Turkcan is still playing. Hope we are not paying for this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2003/04/16/euro_four_t/

Alphonso Ford led the way for Montepaschi with 23 points, while Mirsad Turkcan added a double-double of 10 points and 17 rebounds. For Skipper, Gianluca Basile notched 15 points, while Emilio Kovacic and Giacomo Galanda scored 13 apiece in the 68-64 win.

http://www.eurobasket.com/ITAplayer.asp?PlayerID=5157

Outlook:
    Great defensive player, but also good offensive skills. Runs the floor very well. Lots of rebounds. Plays with great efficiency

Funny how Rudy picked him as a shooter.

Oh, yeah, he's on the Bucks roster at ESPN for some reason.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=861

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

ok so what. I don't see these guys dominating the NBA. TYUS EDNEY.

#26 UTweezer, May 5, 2003
  7. heypartner

I didn't say Mirsad would dominate the NBA. I said that his Euro career was right on target with the Rocket's 22yr old scouting report of an SF/PF 18th pick, and that the Euroleague is the #2 league in the world, and you said it "sucked."

So what was your point?

My point is that laughing at Mirsad's as some Euro bust is no longer valid, imo. If anything, we should be saying that we should have kept him...or at least kept his rights and let him play in Europe.

btw: Gasol is dominating from that league. And Dejan Bodiroga dominated in the World Championships as captain/playmaker and 2nd leading scorer on the Yugo team.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

Management is in pretty much in a no-win situation.

If Turkcan was so bad why did they draft him?

If he was so good (Europe’s MVP) then why did they give up on him so soon?

9. DavidS

Why did he not play? Too good for Rudy's ISO system? Too tough for Rudy? Not a nice guy?

What?

Or was it the other way around. Turcan didn't really want to play in the NBA (had second thoughts). Did he find the individual style not of his liking? Was he getting more money in Europe? Did he think the NBA was too tough and wanted to prolong his career?

After weighing all the facts, it seems to me that Turcan was a 10/10 guy. Not a bust, but nothing special. At least not as much as they were pumping him up to be.

#29 DavidS, May 5, 2003
  10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

My thinking also. Whywasn't he giving any kind of chance? Whats so hard about giving these guys a chance to see if their duds or not? After the Pippen trade, we played with slow ass walt williams at the 3.After we traded Anderson, we traded for slow ass ,injured glen rice now going on his third yr. For a couple of yrs, we had the slowest small forward combination in the history of hoops. Last yr with all the injuries, and it was clear we were out of it by a long shot, why not give Langhi and Morris a chance? After the 16 game losing streak and the team crumbling, why not see if at least Langhi,Torress and Brown we at least good enough to bring back into camp. People complain about Mobley playing too many minutes, but when he was hurt, Torress played ok, especially for a rookie. When he came back, Torress didn't get a lick of game. Once the team is in suck mode and the playoffs are too far out of reach like las season, the organization should have went into evaluation mode. Giving Tito Maddox a guaranteed contract over keeping Torres and Brown really made no sense to me.

Actually, Gasol avg like 12pts a game over there in europe. Thats why a lot of people were surprised he went that high in the draft. Its like every since Gasol, teams are starting to draft euro players on potential just like they do high schooler in america. The guy from the nuggets, Nichloz played behind Nachbar who was the #1 scorer on their team, but Nicholoz went 3rd or 4th or somewhere in there. We will begin to see euro bust with gm's making this move. For every Dirk, we'll see 2 duds, just like high schoolers.

#30 leebigez, May 5, 2003
  11. heypartner

The lock-out made him go play in Europe.
    We landed Scottie Pippen that year. Theoretically, the rights to Mirsad became instantly expendable as a SF.

12. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Bottomline is that since last summer the boy is available and I agree with HP, he cannot be considered a bust anymore. In fact the list of players the rockets have failed to properly use is growing big time. People even forget we waived Augmon who up to this year was still being productive.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It really baffles me that Rudy T's system and use of a small forward are totally different from the way he played as a player. Its like he takes move or motion shooters and turn them into spot up shooters which is a disgrace. He took a player like Rice and sent him on the court and would go possessions without touching the ball and expect him to be ready when the ball comes to him. Its like he has no idea what to do with small forwards unless they can stand still a opposite of iso and wait on the kick out.

14. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Hehe......nice article.

If he was such a great shooter......ha...they traded him. What a bust.

And speaking of busts....

HAHAHAHAA

Antoine Rigadeau!!!!!!!

ROFL!!

Cuttino Mobley says he is a "piece of trash"!

I agree! He's helped the Mavs a lot.

15. heypartner

I'm pretty sure he signed for 3 yrs at big bucks last summer. he has no intention of playing in the NBA. we might agree on that, as a two-time Euroleague MVP at age 26 & 27 over the likes of Ginobili, Giricek, and Bodiroga (fellow Euro vets), he likely reached his scouting potential, but we don't agree that we didn't properly use him.

The Pippen acquisition made him expendable...no?

KeepJuaquin,

The joke about Rigaudeau is that he was 32yrs old and winding down his career and wanting to give the NBA a last try. Boki said he was a smart player, but said it in such a way that you knew he meant that he *was* good.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, it wasn't just that Pippen made him expendable. We traded him to free up some more money to give to Pippen. It wasn't that we were trying to get rid of him, we were just trying to land a big-time vet. In New York, he couldn't get playing time for Van Gundy, which irked him considerably and probably soured him on the NBA.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Another reason to hate Pippen.

18. heypartner

hehe

19. tuus

tuus Member

My point of wiev: Turkcan is grown since then as a player. Most iportantly - he is grown from the shooter to low-post force with will to rebound - is it exactly what we hope from EG ????? And Ben Wallace tried once to get into Celtics roster as a SF .
    And when you call him as a BUST? what name you give to ex-NBA player Cal Bowdler, who is Mirsads backup in his team? Turckan isnt got a chance to show his skills and maybe that was good for him. In NBA he could stay in some team to be a spot-up shooter, but now he is more complete player, and IMO in Turkey team he is starting PF over Mehmet Okur, when Besok is starting C.
    And Tyus Edney -you guys wondering what league must that be, where he puts up great stats - I guess you know that basketball rules and playing style is little different in different sides of Atantic Ocean - and style and rules in Europe are more common to Edney. Thats why is is waluable in Europe and was valuable in College. And some players are zero in some NBA team and could blossom in other team with other coach.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

No one forgot, Augmon had a secret deal with the Blazers that if the Rox cut him, the Blazers would resign him. So what do u do when a guy comes in during the preseason, sits his ass down and do nothing and show no interest in this team?