1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One of the best defensive plays in the history of Jazz Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

When you guide the ball to the basket or the backboard with your hands?

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

To me, yes.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'll never understand Europeans.

hakeem94, Zboy and robbie380 like this.
  4. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

It's a combination of most of his posts most of the time. And I didn't say that he was trolling. I mentioned posters like him and trolls as the reason why I don't log in as much. Even trolls have some good or decent posts sometimes. But their body of work tells the real picture.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, that’s EXACTLY what I’m saying. LOL.

And for the record:

%PTS 2PT MR
    The percentage of points scored by a player or team that are that are from mid-range field goals (2 point field goals from outside the paint)

https://stats.nba.com/help/glossary/

Harden took zero midrange shots, by that definition.

6. MD_in_Training

From how far?
    Btw, you just defined any shot - not just a layup.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If your hand pretty much has the ball as it is about to make contact with the basket/rim or inner box of the backboard, then I consider it a layup attempt.

So pretty close.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

If they are all over Harden’s left hand/playing behind him at the 3 point line, how is Harden all of the sudden gonna get off all these clean looks from midrange? Y’all act like the defender all of the sudden stops guarding him the moment he enters the arc.

All of his stepback threes are highly contested. He mainly gets any real separation from his initial defenders in this series by blowing by them and going hard to the hole. So Harden would have to blow by his defender and then quickly pull up for a midrange jumper which is not his thing. He likes to take his time when setting up his midrange, and if he does that the defender will recover. That is why he has worked so hard to develop his floater.

the Jazz don’t defend CP3 the same way they defend Harden, and Harden is not CP3 level with his midrange game

y’all want contested midrange shots from Harden instead of contested threes

RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Durvasa is hardly a troll.

The Hunted, hakeem94 and Deckard like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That should go without saying. ;-)

The only ones I think I understand are the Dutch. When I go over there, I feel like I used to feel in the '60's and '70's when I went from Houston to Austin for a couple of days. Like I'm at home. It's a little weird, I guess.

hakeem94 and BamBam like this.
  11. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Harden doesn't really shoot any mid range jumpers after college. Even in the Mchale years when he shot mid ranges, they were mostly step backs. Having a player behind him all the time almost takes away his step backs, whether it's a three or two, completely. Harden is a two motion shooter, stop and pop isn't really his game.

I think the coaching staff need to figure out a better counter against this scheme, in the end it's still a strange form of double team Jazz is playing on Harden, that should give us an open look if we play properly.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. MD_in_Training

"Pretty close" is not a definition. Definitions are OBJECTIVE or else there's no meaning.

Going by your "definition", how much time is needed in between the ball leaving your hand and making contact with the basket/rim/backboard to be a layup?

13. MD_in_Training

This is a reasonable answer (that Harden simply isn't good enough at the CP3 style midrange), and far more important than an argument over what is or isn't a layup.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

6.25 inches or less.

0.156 seconds.

Also, underhand attempt.

15. durvasa

It seems like this is a defense uniquely devised for Harden because he doesn’t like to shoot shots from midrange. I can’t imagine a defense like this working against a player who looks for and welcomes those shots. They’d get separation to an open spot on the floor at 15 feet and just pull up for the shot, wouldn’t they?

Either way, the defense clearly worked for three quarters. It seems like Harden is more comfortable shooting a shot in someone’s face than with them on his back.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. MD_in_Training

And you got these numbers from where?

So a short guy who puts the ball up from a lower position always shoots midrange from under the basket?

17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The main reason the step back is so dangerous is because it sets harden up for the same play that we used the pick and roll for last year.

Taking away that shot by playing behind him does exactly the same thing Harden wants, but quicker.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Midget's height?

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you really truly believe that the position of the defender defines the shot being taken then I have grossly overestimated your knowledge of the game.

If closest defender standing outside arc blocks a shot of player taking shot from inside arc make that shot a 3 point attempt? Of course not.

A mid range shot is a shot taken outside the circle and within the 3 point arc. It does not matter where the defenders are positioned.

Your glossary definition does not support your nonsense stance and completely reinforces that a floater taken outside the circle is a mid range shot.

This specific ignorance notwithstanding, you do have BB insight but your BS contrarian/impartiality act/agenda is extremely annoying.

Especially when you got full Jopat and double down on a bad take. Just admit you were wrong.

20. durvasa

I know. Which makes it look ridiculous. And yet, it worked!

Look, Snyder and his coaching staff know more about NBA defenses than any of us, they prepared for days on how to defend us, and this is what they came up with. Popovich did something kind of similar against us a few years ago, successfully, as did Budenholzer this year.

Maybe it’s a little presumptuous for us to call it a stupid strategy?

hakeem94 likes this.