1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One of the best defensive plays in the history of Jazz Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Apr 21, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Brilliant my arse, Harden is not afraid of mid range shots - he was just missing.

It happens to every single athlete. A bad day.

Harden is not going to keep missing like this every game. Jazz got lucky and could not for their very lives take advantage of this gift.

CCity Zero, RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Harden was 0-0 on midrange shots this game.

TheRealAllpro and hakeem94 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

So floaters are not mid range shots now?

Blurr#7 likes this.
  4. durvasa

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Floaters are not lay ups/dunks and they are certainly not 3 pointers.

Floater is a mid range shot.

You can stick your charts, I will stick to common sense.

6. MD_in_Training

This brings up a good point. Why isn’t Harden taking true mid range jumpers when he is basically wide open given their defensive scheme. He would have a higher percentage than putting up a floater with Gobert flying at him. Gobert is coming up high enough to contest his floater but not high enough to leave Capela for a lob.

Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  7. durvasa

If a player at the rim is able to contest your shot, it’s not a midrange shot. Common sense.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I just signed in to say that you are a contrarian dumbass and your posts get on my F..ing nerves almost to the same level as Basketalcoholic. I love this site and hardly post or sign in anymore because of the trolls and supposed to be fans that are dumbasses like you.

Game7, BallSoHarden, RyanB and 2 others like this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

LOL!

@durvasa , now you done it!

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Because the guy defending Harden from behind would block a stop and pop. That is why they defend him from behind instead of on his hip.

Idiots trying to argue more traditional mid range shots from Harden while being defended by this gimmick D have no clue about actually playing the game.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Disagree.

I dont think the defender has anything to do with the midrange shot.

If the shot attempt is inside the 3 point line and is not a layup or dunk attempt, then to me its a mid range shot.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL. So you are saying a player in the circle that blocks a mid range shot makes that MID range shot a lay up????

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There were times I couldn't understand why he didn't take a midrange jumper. I was watching the game with friends and from my perspective in that moment it was the only shot he had, so I yelled, "Shoot it!" Nope, he didn't. That didn't happen a lot, but it did happen a couple of times during the game, and I think James is so good, he can hit them more often than not. Considering how close the game ended up being, we could have used one or two of those buckets.

Gobert really had an outstanding defensive game. So did Clint. Last night was wild and my back is literally still tied up in knots. I hope game 4 isn't as stressful as this one turned out to be. A forlorn hope, I'm sure. It didn't help that their crowd was deafening. Maybe that had something to do with the two people calling the game being so bad (in my opinion). They probably couldn't hear themselves think. We were in our living room with the sound system cranked up, so I probably did some of that to myself.

rgw20014life, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  14. durvasa

When I said “midrange”, I was referring to shots outside the paint and inside the 3-point line. It doesn’t make a difference to me what you want to call it. Call them midrange jumpers, if you like.

The Jazz defensive strategy last night was effective at forcing Harden into low percentage shots compared to what he usually gets. Gobert was a defensive force, finally, and the intimidation factor was apparent to me for the first 3 quarters. Harden gathered himself in the fourth and finished strong. Like I said last night, I expect a big game 4 from him.

TheRealAllpro and hakeem94 like this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was saying that last night. I really wish Harden would have pulled up for a CP3 mid range shot just to throw them off. He can hit it at a pretty good rate and it only would have taken a few to make the Jazz change their strategy because it is something they haven’t planned for.

hakeem94 and Deckard like this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The floater was too close for Gobert to defend and I don’t consider it “mid range” either.

durvasa and hakeem94 like this.
  17. MD_in_Training

Who said anything about a stop and pop? If the defender allows you penetration and is behind you, you pick and choose where you want to be and what shot to take. This is why defenders who get pinned behind an opposing guard coming off a pick often can't effectively contest a midrange jumper. CP3 basically made a living doing this in the midrange.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

But seriously there was nothing trollish about durvasa's post and no idea why you would see it that way

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. MD_in_Training

Define "layup."

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Not to get too into the weeds on this, but is the hook shot a mid range shot to you?

hakeem94 likes this.