1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[One Last Melo Thread] Melo confirms deal with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 28, 2017.

1. blackistan

blackistan Member

Damn this doesn't help in the healing process of not getting Melo

2. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

If I were Melo I would have done the same thing. I think most of us would.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Per some earlier back and forth with hp, my comment was more about the likes of everyone NOT NAMED MELO tweeting about how the deal was done throughout the summer. I just made that comment because of so many initial responses in this thread relative to potatohead.

For Melo, yes, its interesting that he says a deal was done and what it means. Though clearly, even for him, a "done" deal doesn't actually mean done.

It's not really quibbling. It's the english language, lol

To be perfectly honest, its interesting, but because the deal wasn't contemplated, still not all that enlightening. Did he mean all parties had agreed on the deal parameters? Was he secretly implying the league office wouldn't approve it for whatever conspiracy reasons? Did he mean it was at the 99 yard line (lol)?

He also noted that he was going to be a Cav as well at some point over the summer.

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Not me, I'm stubborn as hell and hate Oklahoma :)

heypartner likes this.
  5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Agreed but I actually think Horford would’ve be a beast in our system.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

He also just said on draft night himself and PG were going to be on the Cavs, but was called off. Not sure how serious that was, but glad that didn’t happen.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Melo: I had deals lined up with 29 other teams. The Knicks rejected 28 of them and sent me to Oklahoma City, of all places.

[​IMG]

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He's fat

J.R. likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Better stay away from fatty Felton then if he doesn't want to get any fatter. Felton already found all the donut stores in OKC.

[​IMG][​IMG]

DonKnock and Snow Villiers like this.
  10. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Hope Ryno lights up the Knicks and we beat the crap out of them. I want to see Kanter guard Ryno.lol

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

man that is pathetic. i've never seen an nba guard that bloated and pudgy before. like a 6ft oliver miller

J.R. likes this.
  12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think him being a Cav was actually quite plausible, seeing as how it was just us and Cleveland on his list. And Cleveland had been linked to both him and PG in trade rumors. They would have been quite scary. I think Irving waiting to make his trade demand kind of screwed them, even though they eventually got a decent trade out of it.

I really don't consider Melo or Potatohead wrong. Melo is talking about in an OKC uniform and in retrospect, so he clearly means something else by done deal. We don't know what, exactly, but there was something that made him think he was being traded to Houston. He's clearly as in the know about the trade talks as anyone. He's just not using the language you like.

Semantics refers to the usage of language. If DMo said "Detroit had a deal done to trade for me, but it fell apart because of my physical", you'd be quite the stickler if you said "Wrong, there was no trade done. It didn't happen." You know what his sentence means. We know what Melo means, he didn't mean "officially" done.

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Make fun of him all you want, watch him do very well against us.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know, I'm just pointing out Melo basically said that was a done deal, too, and didn't happen.

Basically further pointing out, done deal here, by Melo, or anyone else, doesn't ACTUALLY mean done deal.

And that should be remembered in the future.

Oh, and I suspect Kyrie's trade request was partially a result of the seemingly done PG deal. He started getting thrown around in rumors, so decided to get ahead of it. He didn't want to play for the Pacers any more than PG did.

That's not an apples to apples comparison, because nobody else in this scenario qualified it. If DMo said that and qualified it, then it'd be a done deal, with qualifiers.

The point here is that in the world of Twitter reporting, we see A LOT of "this is done", "this will happen by this date" type stuff, and we've seen this creep into the forum here.

Done deal clearly doesn't mean done deal in that respect.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

In 2-3 years, everyone will be thankful we didnt end up with Melo and laugh at OKC for trading for the head case. This isnt dodging a bullet ... its a failed suicide attempt.

16. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Melo seems enthusiastic about OKC.... lol

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

PG would've been traded for Kyrie? Doubt it..

18. vince

vince Member

I think Portland balked. When Lillard and company started recruiting Melo, it showed their cards. A 3rd team needed to be involved and them getting cold feet ruined the deal.

Also, kudos to Morey for keeping his head and the core together. Either way you look at it, the Rockets had a spectacular offseason. They missed out on they cherry on top of the cake in Melo, but still got elite guys.

If the team meshes, they could be closest to challenge the warriors. Talent wise, they are real good...,

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Melo talking Houston again?

Seems like things are really heating up!

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

At the end of the day, Melo was going to go to a place he chose to be. He didn't want to play hardball and had multiple options.