1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[One Last Melo Thread] Melo confirms deal with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I'd say Al Horford...he's not worth his contract

BigggReddd likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What else is, he did not get Paul George, he missed out on Kawhi, traded away Moti, and tried to sign him again, traded for a lot of busts, signed a lot of players that would have been good 4 or 5 years ago

Class 2009. Drafted a player like Royce W.

Talking about Harden.

Morey and Alexander have wasted Harden's 5 first (we got him when he was 23) years.......... and the star is an aging Paul who can only play so many seasons as a star...... The outlook is still good but it could have been far better.

Getting a Ferrari without wheels and proper inner setup is not going to win it all by itself.

You got to follow up great trades with great trades.....and another good to great trade.

I wouldn't say Presti has won but Presti's team had a very good chance to win it all, were stopped by the best player Lebron and his Super friends.

#82 daywalker02, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    RocketsTruth likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry, I shouldn't have used your words and said "Not to be a dick" like you did. I did that for no other reason than to portray myself as a dick contrarian. :cool: But I didn't really mean to be. My main point is to say I treat that tweet by Melo differently....it's more interesting, vs just summing it up saying "He was wrong."

Yeah, my point was I find it to be a very cool quote, because it is the primary source. A primary source with a NTC and Trade Kicker has different meaning to me than guys who report on their sources.

#83 heypartner, Sep 28, 2017
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Not getting Dwight Howard one year earlier...

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man, it's not easy. Luck plays a part in it too. In 5 years as a Rocket Harden has been pretty great. 2 MVP runner ups, 2 semi finals loses 1 semi finals loss and a conference finals loss is not that bad. There are teams and players that have been waiting and grinding longer than 5 years in their prime to even get to the playoffs.

I have never seen a team, outside the spurs, that can put everything together in an instant year after year.

I don't consider Harden's last 5 years a waste at all.

#85 DreamShook, Sep 28, 2017
    snowconeman22 and dawesome like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's not a total waste I hope but in his last year he did an incredible thing and that was quitting.... how in the world does Paul get the gig here otherwise?

The gig to mentor Harden's arse in the playoffs and not have him quit again.

All I am saying Morey has done a good job but an incomplete job as of today...... maybe because of Les, maybe because of other good GMs.... As a matter of fact.

All those other teams you mentioned, most of them are loser teams tbh.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you have any Rockets Proof, RocketsTruth? if so, you gotta

[​IMG]

Snow Villiers likes this.
  8. heypartner

One of these things is not true. :( dayum Jeremy Lin :mad:

DreamShook likes this.
  9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

It isn't like this will be hard to do. Everyone will.

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If the deal was done, then he would be a rocket.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden is pretty good at everything except being a leader. Those teams I mentioned might have been loser teams, but because of Harden, they were contending. Harden has taken teams to records they had no business getting but failing in the most crucial moment because he just isn't a leader. CP3 and the wealth of veteran leadership on the roster can very well be the missing piece.

I just think back to 2008 when Morey constructed a team around another great player without leadership qualities in TMAC. If wasn't for injuries, that would have been a championship squad.

Morey said this is currently the best team he has been a part of. I believe him.

I agree Morey's job is incomplete.

RudyTBag and YOLO like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey said somewhere in an interview that he thinks we might have been able to snag Harden anyway.

Parsons was calculated.
    Bosh was medically unprecedented.
    Agreed on Baze, though I'd love to see him in our system.

13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Rockets should wait till trade deadline and make a move for Boogie Cousins

14. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

They wouldn’t buy him out, because it’s a small market so they need star power (even losers) in order to sell tickets, and also because melo will be great in getting them a good draft pick while putting on a nice little show.

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If Melo was with Rockets, I guarantee CP3 would not have this passive expression.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deserves it's own thread

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Isn't that just quibbling over semantics? When you ask your kid if they're done with their homework do you mean finished with their homework? Or do you mean finished, turned in to the teacher, graded, and on their official transcript?

Melo probably meant done as in both teams had come to a trade agreement, not that the trade had been finalized and approved by the league. Many news sources reported that Gasol was traded to Houston in the nixed CP3 trade. That the trade was later vetoed doesn't mean they were completely wrong. Melo isn't wrong or lying in this interview, we can clearly read the context behind what he's saying.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No one wants Ryan Anderson.

Zboy likes this.
  20. heypartner

That's way too many quotes and a "Phil Through spoiler" for just a tweet

Here's the full quotes from Melo on Sirius, and a Feigen bomb from one of his sources

"A deal was done with Houston early then for some reason whatever happened behind the scenes it didn't go through," Anthony said. "It fell through then we had to really start paying attention and thinking about other options."

The Rockets never had a deal completed with the Knicks, a person with knowledge of talks between the teams said, but there were several three- and four-team trade options that former Knicks president Phil Jackson seemed willing to take. The teams were never close to a deal after Jackson left the team June 28.

Anthony said he agreed to the trade to the Thunder last weekend.

"Believe it or not I felt like I was going to be back in training camp and I would show up to media day in New York," Anthony said. "Me and my team sat down on Friday night and was like, 'Man, we best prepare for going back to media day on Monday and training camp that week.' And then we got the call that said, 'Would you open it up to OKC?' And I was like, 'Yeah, at this point yeah.'

I don't think it would have been beneficial for me to come back to media day after everything that was going on in the offseason. For me to have to deal with that it would have been unfair for the organization, the Knicks, to have to deal with that. It would have been too much noise, too many questions to answer and I don't think either party wanted to deal with that."
    @justtxyank probably be cool for others joining this thread late if you'd copy/paste the above full quotes into your OP. It's from Feigen's article

#100 heypartner, Sep 28, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.