1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[One Last Melo Thread] Melo confirms deal with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 28, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There was an agreed upon deal that was prepared to go the league office. Mills then hired Perry who convinced him that they could do better and they walked away. The Rockets were pissed. So pissed that they even leaked that they were pissed, something the Rockets never do.

In the end Perry was right and the Knicks are better off because of it I guess. Doesn't change the fact that the organization lied to Melo and balked on an agreed upon deal with the Rockets.

Unfortunately there aren't repercussions for situations like this, but don't expect the Rockets to send Perry and Mills and Christmas cards.

Yung-T and JayGoogle like this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Thats actually an interesting aspect I hadn't bought about in regards to opting in for a buyout. Very plausible

If they don't mesh and are for some uncanny reason a disaster, I absolutely expect presti to go complete fire sale at the deadline.

3. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I don't think anyone should be mad at Perry as much as they should be with Melo.
    Yes Perry came in and pulled the deal that would've landed us Melo but ultimately Melo was the one who caved under the Knicks pressure.
    Melo could've easily kept firm on wanting to be in HOU. Instead he expanded his list and gave NY essentially what they wanted. The real question is why? Why would he give NY what they want if they couldn't even give him what he wanted? This loyalty BS that players think they should have towards franchises is the problem, CP did it with LA and now Melo with NY.
    I'm 110% sure the Knicks would've taken that HOU deal on or b4 the trade deadline if Melo would've just kept firm. Like Codman, potato head, and Frank Isola said "no way do you want a disgruntled superstar on a rebuilding team". The only person I want HOU to beat is Melo and make him regret giving up his "trade rights" to play with ball hog Russ.
    Sources are saying Melo will opt in to that final year, I disagree, but I'm not a source. Melo at $28 mill next season and a possible Westbrook extension could put the OKC Thunder way over the luxury tax and based on their history they are not willing to do that. I'm sure Melo can get at least $28 mill with a longer contract which is why I think he will opt out. I'm sure he doesn't want to be in OKC but he got desperate and ended up in the most boring place on earth to hoop in after Utah and Indiana.
    I don't believe OKC is the 2nd best team in the West. Arguments around the league from "experts" claimed that Melo to HOU would be a disaster and it wouldn't work bc 3 dominant ball guys can't function. Apparently OKC has an amazing "move without the ball" offense and "willing to pass" players that MELO to OKC is the best thing since sliced bread, sigh.
    In the end Melo caved, NY got what they wanted, and OKC will not be better than HOU (need a bench to compete).

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not to be a dick. But if Morey said, "agreed upon and in final stages", it would still be the same meaning....and he'd be right.

Melo isn't a man with a source. This is the source, with a very cool quote.

When a the player with an NTC and huge trade kickers says it, it very well could have gotten as far as Melo (the person quoted in the tweet) being asked, "So, we have a deal done with Houston. Just confirming you will allow it, before we take it to the big boss Dolan, and no trade bonus, right." Then they take everything to Dolan, and he for whatever reason changes his mind. Rumor being that someone talked him into pausing for new GM hire.

Melo was flying around to Mexico and stuff with Lebron, remember. They probably called him or his agent to say they were dotting their Is and crossing their Ts, and wanted final confirmation from him, too.

Point is, it could have gotten far enough for Melo to actually become part of the final steps. "Done deal" or "Agreed upon and in final stages" is same difference to me, when it comes from the primary source carrying the NTC and trade kicker.

#24 heypartner, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    DonKnock and malakas like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How close was the Chris Bosh deal in the past?

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

A deal would've been done if Morey had pushed harder.

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

You ok honey?

DonKnock likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

your tears aren't dry yet? its been 5 days. its done. we move on.

why are you even here then. go follow okc

DonKnock, BigMaloe, 34to11 and 3 others like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

that would definitely be the wise thing for Presti to do, u can't afford to lose KD, Russ, and PG for nothing...Russ has until Oct 15th to sign that extension...things could get real interesting down in OKC

it's really hard for me to see Melo opting out of 28 mil at 34 years old...if he gave OKC 7 or 8 mil back in a buyout and then signed somewhere for the vet min then he'd only be losing out on a couple mil

it honestly wouldn't surprise me if we acquired Boogie for relatively cheap at the trade deadline since I don't expect NO to be good, and then Melo came here next summer via buyout since we were his top choice

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

****in Knicks man

DonKnock and jch1911 like this.
  11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Hillary Clinton's election was also a done deal. The definition of a done deal is that it gets done.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Perry did the right thing for the Knicks. Ultimately Morey had the choice of upping his offer but made a very very bad decision.

13. Mr Chuck Norris

Look....refer to the adidas thread..... THIS WAS NIKE. nike pushed melo to okc. Connect the dots

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Enough with the semantics already. You know what the intended message is for Melo’s quote.

BigggReddd likes this.
  15. Progs

Progs Member

[​IMG]

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

new ownership killed the deal

18. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

You shut up misogynist

Pen15clubber likes this.
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

You are female?

20. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

Let's move on we will have them all.next year just relax it's all part of the plan