1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On to Kansas City they go for the Divisonal Round

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pringles09, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yep. 1-1. BTW, TJ Yates, Schaub, and Brock were the Texans' QB in those road games.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Well....it is a stat. Just saying, Texans have a chance. Some of you have given up already.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

cool

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

ain't nobody gave up. Stop trying to make yourself as the lone hero who believes.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In that case, I don't think you understand what "possessions" means. The Texans didn't simply have more TOP because the Chiefs kept on going 3 and out (which they didn't, btw... they punted only twice that game). Meanwhile, the Texans had scoring drives that consisted of: 12 plays, 10 plays, 12 plays, 12 plays and 9 plays (leaving out the 1 play drive after a KC turnover). And that's not including a 10 play and an 11 play drive that ended in turnovers.

First of all, his "injury" that he played through is getting overblown by you. They also lost the week before to a subpar Colts team... was he really injured there too? Certainly Mahomes has had better games than what he had against the Texans (he's also had worse games)... but there's only one person here giving too much credit to one aspect of that game.

I do expect an entirely different Chiefs team... mainly because their defense has been much improved since the Titans debacle.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or, have a defense that can actually prevent a team from getting a TD.

The current rule is better than the old sudden death one. It actually does value defensive abilities, vs. just giving both teams the ball in scoring range and making it a video game shootout.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's a factor man. The less successful their offense is, the less time it's gonna be on the field. Basic stuff.

I sure hope it is getting overblown by me. It was clear as day that it changed their offensive dynamic during the game though.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yet apparently not basic enough for you to acknowledge that the Texans, that day, regardless of what the Chiefs offense was doing, was able to put up several long scoring drives, and additional long non-scoring drives, by employing a ball-control/high percentage pass approach (i.e. - taking what the defense was giving them).

They punted twice all game. If you want to blame the injury on his decision making, and subsequent turnovers, so be it... but their offense was not just a consistent plethora of 3 and outs.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

As long as we don't try to ground and pound we have a chance. If we consistently put ourselves in many 3rd and longs as we typically do and have to rely on Watson heroics every series, it ain't happening.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

According to Chiefs’ fans, the only reason the Texans won was the inactive players, Hill playing only 50% of the snaps, and Mahomes injured ankle. Texans will be a walk over.

11. conquistador#11

No doubt you need a ball control offense and balance to keep Watson upright and Mahomes closer to the ketchup dispenser away from the field. But you have to get creative with it. You can't stubbornly pound into an 8 men front. RPOs, Pistol(which they did in the first meeting) Outside zones.

Texans should always go uptempo to establish Watson in the first series of the game and coming out of the half. Deshaun in a rhythm is the most important thing. If a Defense is great, they can stop that.... then you can always go back to the Hb dive.

Quarterbacks = Even
    Offensive Line = Chiefs
    Receivers = Texans (if Fuller suits up)
    Running backs= Houston.
    Safeties= Even(Juan is out for the season for the chiefs)
    Linebackers= Houston
    Defensive line= even
    Special teams coverage= Houston(never thought I'd say that)
    Cornerbacks= Even
    Tight ends = Chiefs
    Coaching/ game managing= Even, both can be atrocious
    Scheme to spring open their receivers= Chiefs (rub routes plus screens all day)
    Chiefs' Homefield= It's not that intimidating. They won't point laaaaasers.
    Weather= 40

It's the best match up one could have asked for in a divisional round. I feel dirty for even cheering for the Titans a day earlier.

mfastx likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Crazy. Even if both can be atrocious, one can be really good.

I mean, it would have been nice for the Pats to have beaten the Dolphins and the Chiefs to have lost the last week of the season... but that was not very likely AND the Texans lost anyway week 17.

So basically Chiefs vs. Ravens... yes, rather have the Chiefs.

It's probably the best Texans team relative to the other team in a divisional time since their existence. Considering TJ Yates and Brock Osweiller started (both with 3 interception games) 2 of the 3 times they've made it this far. The 2012 team was close... the 11 team was better and legit had a shot had Schaub not gotten injured. The 12 team started so hot, but limped to the finish, and was still against the Patriots in Foxboro - nobody thought they had a shot, though I wouldn't be surprised if the spread was closer, and I know we all got excited when the took the opening kickoff for a huge return.... but once they couldn't punch it in from there and had to settle for a FG, the omens were against us.

So relative to any point in time in history, this might be the most hope I have that the Texans can get past the divisional round... so there's that!

juanm34 and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. PatBev

PatBev Member

**** em

juanm34 likes this.
  14. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

Texans should of kept and further developed Vyncent Smith. He has 4.25 speed. All he ever didi was make plays when given a chance to play.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Maybe I would of rather played the ravens