1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On to Kansas City they go for the Divisonal Round

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pringles09, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They beat the Chiefs by keeping their offense off the field. TOP was nearly 40 minutes to 20 minutes. Establishing the running game, converting 3rd downs, and protecting the ball... keys to most teams winning games, but especially in the playoffs.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The question: will be if the KC offense can keep up scoring with the Texans offense? Wait, u just said they have the better offense why would they have any problem keeping up score with our inconsistent one that heavily relies on a player made of glass?

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

4. Texanstradamus

Fuller a full week and a day no excuses considering this was 3 week injury

5. msn

msn Member

Yes, please.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Well the Chiefs don’t have Buffalos defense thankfully but then again the Texans are a statistically bad defense against the run and the pass so who knows.

Run the ball, control the clock, hopefully a positive turnover differential, and it can be done.

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

need to create a turnover and Watson has to pass for 3 tds and move the chains.

if we do those two things we will be in the game late.

def not saying that wins the game but I do believe it keeps us in the game.

red5rocket and deb4rockets like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How about just getting off to a decent start? A TD in the 1st quarter?

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don’t know I’m just going off what I thought they needed against the Patriots 3 passing tds and a pick and we won and honestly the score made it looks closer than it was.

if we do that against the chiefs then I don’t think we get out to a big lead like we had on NE but I think the game is up for grabs going down the stretch.

that running the ball keeping it out of Mahomes hands imo won’t work this time I really think we have to score 30+ points to even be in the game. Our D is just so bad and the chiefs offense is lethal.

I honestly would have rather played the ravens even tho we got blown out by them and beat KC.

chiefs scare me I think them and GB are the best teams in the nfl and will be in the SuperBowl but if watson can throw 3 tds and have no picks I think we’ll be in the game late and anything can happen then.

ravens been blowing everyone out but I just have a feeling they will have a dud game. Lamar still is not a great passer imo he throws a wobble pass a lot his threat to run is why his passing numbers are so good. Imo eventually you have to win with your arm like Mahomes Rodgers and Watson have shown.

Lamar has a lot of big td games passing but he doesn’t throw much he’s efficient to his TEs, that’s really all he throws to. The other guys I mentioned spread the call all over.

Lamar scares me because he’s going to get drilled running one day and it’s going to mess up his game like it did Cam Newton.

look at the numbers Cams MVP year there better than Lamars passing and he also ran for more tds just less rushing yards but more passing yards.

once he got banged up he hasn’t been the same. This is the nfl Lamar will get smoked one day don’t know if it’s this year or in 3 years but all that running will take a toll on him and he’s not a polished passer. Literally all his passing yards and tds are to TEs that’s pretty basic passing it just works awesome for him because he’s prob the best pure runner in the nfl he just happens to be able to play QB at a very good level he’s just not on Mahomes watson or Rodgers level in terms of spreading the ball around from the pocket.

not trying to be a hater he’s the mvp this year Forsure but he’s not an elite passer he’s an elite QB with his running ability it offsets the flaws. Maybe I’m wrong and he never gets banged up running but history says that’s wishful thibking. Everyone gets hurt in the nfl at some point.

10. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Texans won the time of possession 39:48 to 20:12. That’s how you beat Mahoney and KC.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If I remember correctly the key last time was dominating time of possession and keeping Mahomey on the bench. KC is so explosive so we have to do the same thing again, Hyde and the OL have to come up BIG!

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Deshaun will have to work his magic again to win this one. We all know he won't be getting any help from the OL and BoB.

Texanstradamus and juanm34 like this.
  13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The Chiefs' offense will be much harder to keep off the field this time as Mahome is healthy (I believe). We are gonna have to score a little more than usual to keep up with them.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I just want a playoff game where we don't fall behind immediately

Texanstradamus and bilaal14 like this.
  15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

They can beat Chiefs, but they have to score early and show up in the first half and not play catch up. They can't win a shootout and I believe they can do it!.

I would love to go to the game in KC, but the flights are stupid expensive...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

This year KC has been a much better road team. 5-3 at home and 7-1 away.

I believe Mahomes injured his ankle during the Indy game. He was basically all healed up when playing the Texans until the second half when he was hit and apparently reaggravated his ankle injury. And that was why he wasn't as accurate during the last 1.25 Quarters and Houston was able to get back into the game. As others have said, we just need to have a quick start for once.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We kept them off the field by executing a run-heavy/ball control type offense.

Mahomes health would have very little to do with that facet should they try and emulate it again. The Chiefs also scored 17 in a blink of an eye the first game...

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

OB mentions that the #Texans focused on Jacob Martin’s film from Seattle his rookie season to make him part of the deal to get him to team.

— patrick (@PatDStat) January 6, 2020

Bill O’Brien on Gareon Conley: ‘Conley had a good game, couple pass breakups. He’s not a very loud guy, practices hard, tries to do the right things.’

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) January 6, 2020

Bill O’Brien on trading for Gareon Conley: ‘I think anytime you make a trade always some risk involved. We felt like Gareon was at stage of his career where it was worth the risk. He’s helped us win some games’

Duke Johnson has played well all year for #Texans, O’Brien says. Points out Johnson’s play on third-and-16 as one of the plays of the game vs. #Bills.

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) January 6, 2020

Bill O’Brien on J.J. Watt playing time; ‘We have to see how he’s doing. He felt good. We’ll see how he’s feeling, that’s a lot of communication between he and I and Romeo. He knows his body very well.’

Bill O’Brien on D.J. Reader: ‘D.J. has had a really good year for us. He does a lot of things that don’t show up on the stat sheet’

"We will know better as the week goes on. I'd say day-to-day," O'Brien on S Jahleel Addae. #Texans

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Interesting stuff from Sean Salisbury this morning:
    He said this Texans team is the worst team he has ever seen at adjusting to and handling the blitz. And he essentially placed most of it at the feet of Watson. Failure to adjust blocking, failure to hit hot reads, failure to get the ball out quick, failure to change plays, etc. Look for teams to keep blitzing Watson as we move forward.

This from a guy who says he would take no other QB in the league over Watson when the game is on the line.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Bill O'Brien said his 14-year-old son asked where Deshaun Watson's throw to Taiwan Jones ranks among his top plays.

OB still considers throwing a TD after getting kicked in the face to be Watson's best.

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) January 6, 2020

O'Brien: I do believe in the run game, but also taking what the defense gives you. #Texans

Bill O'Brien on Taiwan Jones: 'Play was adjusted by Deshaun, had a little package for Taiwan, that was part of his package'

Bill O'Brien on needing a faster start against Chiefs: "We've got to get off to faster start. We have to come out of the gates ready to go. We can't start this way'

Bill O'Brien on Deshaun Watson protection: 'We have to do that. Lot of keys to that. Comes down to communication, how they see the defense.'

Bill O'Brien was asked what it's like to coach Deshaun Watson. Here's how he summarized the experience: "Get rid of it, get rid of it. Great play!"

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) January 6, 2020

Commodore likes this.