1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On This Day 14 Years Ago Steve Francis Came to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 29, 2013.

?

Steve Francis Era

1. It was like sitting next to Beyonce and Jay Z at the Superbowl

35 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. It was like dribbling out the 24 second clock for no reason

74 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. Don't remember or never knew, like a migraine

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. That era aged me that people think i'm my grandpa

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No coach was more compatible with Steve than Rudy T. His all star numbers was were because of Rudy giving free reign.

Things changed when we got Van Gundy.

A little history for you.

#21 tinman, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. boondoggle

boondoggle Member

That year Francis also shot 41.7% from the field and 32.4% behind the arc. Last season Harden was at 43.8% and 36.8%.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Steve Francis era was one of the worst ever in Rockets history.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Had high hopes even though the way he came here irked me a bit. By the end of it, it just didn't seem like he had a very good head on his shoulders, and the athleticism wasn't enough any more.

I was a season ticket holder all through his time here, and loved both his and Cat's game, but it just seemed like the longer he was here the worse things got.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Harden was more efficient for sure.

Steve was fun to watch cause he was highlight reel material.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I agree the JVG wasn't "as good a fit" for him as Rudy T. but by then the writing was on the wall.

7. AXG

AXG Member

I was in the minority that actually wanted to keep Francis and Mobley instead of trading for TMac. In retrospect, neither side worked out very well.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The franchise was an allstar in his prime, but never really hit superstardome

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tmac made more money for the franchise... I guess in retrospect, he was a more valuable 'asset' to Les

11. MadMirror

MadMirror Member

I have mixed feelings about the Franchise era, but ultimately I can't be too hard on Stevie. He definitely had his shortcomings, and I have my doubts that he could have been a major contributor on a good playoff team, but he played hard for us and repped the city despite the rosters during those years being completely wrecked, with the only light at the end of the tunnel coming from Yao. Bad contracts, bad drafting, Barkley retiring, Olajuwon in his twilight, and trading Pippen for pennies on the dollar meant that the lineups during that time suffered from a serious lack of talent.

I guess what I'm saying is that Carroll Dawson as GM leaves more of a bad taste from those years for me than Stevie did. That said, the McGrady swap was a great move that didn't pan out.

12. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

Stevie Franchise built the Toyota Center, remember guys?

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

One of my favorite covers.

Makes you wonder, how we would have done if we stuck with Stevie instead of trading for T-Mac. Really thought Francis turned the corner in that playoff series vs Lakers. He averaged close to a triple double. I think Francis-Yao could have one at least one playoff series, right?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

You know I felt the same way to, I felt the Laker series showed promise and we were on the upswing.

One thing that makes us miss Francis and makes us love Yao is that they started their careers with the Rockets as rookies and we could watch them develop. And it was us, Rockets fans.

15. daRox

daRox Member

tinman, where's the option for the pajamas :)

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I was never a big fan of Steve, no doubt he had some tremendous hops and was exiting to watch at times. He had a lot of "demons" to overcome, not sure he ever has. No since piling on at this time. Get sober and get well. I wish him the best.

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Harden's numbers won't get much better, it's just the quality of his in-game decisions that can only improve through experience and his defense.

The ISO Harden needs to quit and the defense actually needs to be average, not a negative presence. He's better suited actually guarding 4-men like he did in the playoffs, cause he just roams around but is a solid and good rebounder if you keep him in that area. Then he can go coast to coast.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Truth. Inmates running the asylum doesn't bode well for playoff execution.

20 years since the championships... Been a mostly frustrating ride.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

He killed our offense. Was glad when we traded him away, but sad his boyfriend left too.

I think a Yao/MerGady/Cat would have gone to a WCF.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I liked Stevie, but Cuttino was a much better player for us.

NOBODY could stop Cuttino in an isolation, especially in the 4th quarter. I loved that.

That was the worst part of the Tmac trade. To this day, I want to kick CD's ass for making it so lopsided. We gave up our entire offense for Tmac/Juwan and scrubs like Ty Lue/Reece Gaines.

I know we could have given up another piece instead. All the magic really wanted was Steve.