1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On Luis Scola, Amnesty and a New Salary Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Nov 2, 2011.

1. thekad

thekad Member

Having the opportunity to sign two superstars and not doing it because of some dead salary wouldn't make Les cheap? Really?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Beat it for minutes? He is getting beat out for minutes. Patterson produces like Scola but plays defense. He doesnt turn the ball over like Scola either.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He doesn't turn the ball over cause he never goes to the basket and he is passive on offense. I wish he produced like Scola, but his offensive game is limited as things stand.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Les is not cheap however he is no Cuban either. He wants to win, say he spends money, but he doesn't spend big money!!!
    It's his ball club but if he were to lure big time stars, you better have a charismatic owner as well and not pointing fingers at JVG, Adelman because they are not media friendly or trustworthy enough.

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This...

Patterson has a very limited offensive game.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

patterson needs more than just a midrange in order to beat out anyone

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not worth $8 million so something has to give

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

It still boggles my mind when people call for the team to amnesty Scola or Martin.
    They may not fit with this team, but they do have value. Maybe not as much as you'd hope, but there's no way either get gets amnestied.

I think there's a good chance both Scola and Martin get moved before next season though, so you may get your wish after all.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Scola or Martin could get amnestied and here's why.

If we bring over Motie and Llull and we sign Lee and Dragic to $5 mill deals then our cap is going to be somewhere around $55 million. If DWill decides he wants to sign here (hope, hope, hope), then we have to find space. What team is going to trade for Martin for cap space? Perhaps they will find a taker. But he's an expiring contract. If a team has cap space, they'd have to be a championship contender and feel like he's the final piece to take him on.

If Deron Williams decides he wants to sign here and we can't work out a very salary lopsided trade to create space, then we may need to amnesty Scola or Martin to sign him to a max deal. I wouldn't have a big problem doing that if it was Martin. Scenario works the same if we trade for Pau. We will most likely be sending out Lowry/Gasol/Dally to make the money work. Same type deal.

There's a myriad of other options, including signing Asik outright. I also didn't account for the Knicks pick or our pick if we miss the playoffs, or the Dallas pick we traded for. Of course, I expect, at most only one of those picks to actually be signed by us. I am wondering if we may actually sell the Knicks pick for a decent chunk of cash if it winds up in the high teens.

By not using amnesty this past season and because Morey has set this team up with good value contracts, the amnesty provision could help us "load up" this summer.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

There's no way Martin or Scola gets amnestied so we can sign Omer Asik. No chance in hell.

The same goes for us selling the Knicks pick. No way we do that. Trade, yeah possibly, but sell? Not a chance.
    If anything I see us buying another pick to either trade up for get somebody we like in the 2nd round.

The D-Will scenario is somewhat more likely, but you have to think as pro-active as the Rockets are they would already have a taker for either guy the second Williams would decide to sign here.

Also disagree that a team would have to be a contender to trade for either guy. If the value is there, you do the trade. At worst, you have another trade chip.

Lots of team will have cap space this upcoming off-season and there'll be a salary floor of 85% or 90% (I'm not completely sure), so if you'd offer Scola or Martin for a top-55 protected 2nd rounder you seriously think you wouldn't find a taker?

11. dragician

dragician Member

Cut this crap.

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

he should be gone on draft night...

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys are nuts, he is shooting nearly 50%, and his rebounding has been going up, is he an elite PF? No, but he is about the same level as Lowry is as a PG, a very good one.

DD

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Maybe as a scorer but Lowry is a significantly better defender and playmaker.

And, I really like Scola.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

You have really become annoying. Post after post everyday about how you think Scola sucks. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish at this point. We get it, you don't want Scola playing for the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  16. dragician

dragician Member

He can shoot, he has power play moves and he can pass. What does he lack to become an elite PF. He also gets double teamed often.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You Scola haters are nuts. He's recovering from knee surgery with a condensed season, his numbers lately are right in line with his career numbers.

Per 36 Mins
    First 31 Game
    17.8 PPG
    7.0 RPG
    47% FG%
    3.4 TO

Last 14 games
    18.3 PPG
    8.7 RPG
    50% FG%
    2.2 TO

Career
    17.2 PPG
    9.6 RPG
    51% FG%
    2.0 TO

He has also been forced to play out of position this year. His defense and rebounding are only a problem when he's forced to play center. He was never a liability with Yao.

W Dally + 40
    W/O Dally - 16

Patterson too
    W Dally + 36
    W/O Dally -34

And as for him being overpaid, this is my PF rankings, and they're salaries next year (this year if they're FA)

1.Dirk Nowitzki 19 Mill
    2.Chris Bosh 16 Mill
    3.Pau Gasol 19 Mill
    4.Kevin Love Gonna be Max
    5.Kevin Garnett 21 Mill
    6.Blake Griffin Gonna be Max
    7.Serge Ibaka Gonna be Max
    8.Zach Randolph 15 Mil
    9.LaMarcus Aldridge 13 Mill
    10.Tim Duncan 21 Mill

(this next tier of guys are on scola's level IMO)
    11.Amare Stoudamire 18 Mill
    12.Carlos Boozer 14 Mill
    13.Josh Smith 13 Mill
    14.Paul Milsap 7 Mil (Utah used the sneaky Lowry tactic to lowball)
    15.Luis Scola 9 Mill
    16.Kris Humphires 8 Mill
    17.Elton Brand 17 Mill
    18.David Lee 12 Mill

He's not elite, but he's not scrub either good post option,decent rebounder, should only be gone if you can get something of great value

So no he's not overpaid, he's not declining (just recovering), and he sure as hell won't be amnestied.

1 person likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I so look forward to you using this same stellar logic on your boy Lowry.

ROFLMAO !!

Scola is fine, he is just not elite.

DD

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Scola has been playing better as of late. He was awful yesterday though. He doesn't play D or grab boards unless the ball comes directly to him.