1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omri Casspi to sign with Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by megastahr, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Thoac

Thoac Member

I don't think Casspi would be a great upgrade.
    Since I am in Europe, I was watching his games in the Euroleague and the EL finals too. He is a kind of "part of the puzzle", but even in his top team (Maccabi) he was not really able to get starter spot.

If it is about the "israeli market", than I'd rather pick Lior Eliyahu, who is currently considered as the top player of Israel, and basically his pick is in our pocket.

I am not saying he is bad, what I mean is that such level of substitutions we have already. Solid sub, nothing more.
    Yes, he's a worker, he's a team player, but I since we still have to see what can we expect from Jones, and DMo just started to contribute, i do not foresee the added value of adding one more bench warmer.
    If we'd be in the situation like POR, I would say yes, we need him on the bench. But in our current case? Not really...................unless Morey having a plan to make trades in the offseason (f.e: Gasol, or S&T somebody else, make your pick), where for example besides Asik he needs assets to be available to be traded. If Morey makes already a prep. fo such step, than I foresee a sense.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rockets are a legit &amp; confirmed suitor for Omri Casspi, who is recovering from emergency surgery last weekend to take out his appendix</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/307194475321647104">February 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Marteen

Marteen Member

^Just saw it. It wouldn't be such a bad pickup. Rockets need all the help they can get.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Please no, wtf can that guy do for us..

5. smr6

smr6 Member

Eh whatever, if he can help us then great. If not, then it really doesnt make a difference since I'm sure we wouldnt give him any kind of multi-year deal, and if he doesn't impress then Mchale won't put him on the floor.

Low risk, medium reward.

6. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Morey just wasting $$ left and right .

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

not sure how he'll be able to play after emergency appendix surgury, which usually indicates a dangerously inflamed organ and requires weeks of recovery

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What else is he going to do with it this season?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When he was playing in Sacremento he was a really good player that could defend. We need a solid wing behind Harden.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Marketing ploy to bring in fans from more demographics.

Casspi = Jewish community
    Lin = Chinese community
    Asik = Turkish community
    D-Mo = Lithuanian community
    Harden = Bearded community
    Parsons = female community

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

White = mentally-challenged community

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If he is a plus defender, then we need him.

14. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

Seems OK with Mr. Alexander. :)

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the contract doesn't impact 2013-14 cap flexibility, and if Les Alexander doesn't mind paying him, then why should anybody have a serious problem with the Rockets signing Casspi?

If nothing else, it gives the team a little more insurance (beyond just James Anderson) in case Carlos Delfino isn't brought back next year.

Also, here's hoping that Casspi joins my synagogue! ;)

16. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

seems like a lesser version skills wise of Chandler Parsons but looks stronger. could work as a small ball 4...

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We may be getting him as back-up or eventual replacement to Parsons, IF we need to include Parsons in any trade package.

18. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Haven't posted in a while. This guy was legit in Sac. I was hoping he would be hear longer ago, but Morey knows when to pounce on players, i.e. when their value is high and their price is low. This guys has great value right now. His market price was much higher when he was shipped to Cleveland. Stupid Cleveland.

Anyways, Casspi would take Johnson's place I bet:

Lin/Bev
    Harden/Delfino/Anderson/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi/Honeycutt
    Motie/T-Rob/T-Jones/White
    Asik/Olbrecht/Smith

Someone needs to be cut and I think of the fodder, here is who (in order of most to least expendability):

Honeycutt (cheap contract,development curve may be long for the status level of the Rockets in Playoff Contender scale/ role redundant if we bring in Casspi)

Anderson (cheap contract, role redundant, this season)

Garcia (expired contract for us this season, and if option picked up, expiring for another team at $6.4M, but he can alternate between 2/3 because of height)

Omri also has enough height to play the post, and is stronger than Parsons now, so we have someone that could POSSIBLY play the 4 in small-ball periods, and spares C-Par from exhausting himself banging down low. Just my 2 cents.

19. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Sorry, no Johnson on the team this season, meant Honeycutt.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sounds like it was without complications. My wife was without pain within several days. But she doesn't play NBA basketball either. This guy wouldn't be available for weeks, and then his legs'd be made of rubber.

Semi-ironically, I think Sacramento took him with the pick they got from us in the Artest deal. So he was "our" draft pick (but it wasn't us who took him).