1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omission from U.S. Olympic team not Jackson's doing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sup123, Jun 20, 2004.

1. sup123

sup123 Member

About time to put an end to this controversy and conspiracy aganist jackson:

Francis' snub not act of revenge

Omission from U.S. Olympic team not Jackson's doing

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    RESOURCES

Stu Jackson has heard the theory that goes around every time Steve Francis is left off one of the USA Basketball teams.

While other NBA stars are cautioned not to trample each other on the way out, Francis is almost begging his way past the velvet rope and onto the Olympic team. When he gets snubbed with every invitation, the latest going to Dwyane Wade, the conspiracy theorists blame Jackson.

"He's been very clear," Jackson said. "I have spoken to Steve personally. Steve has spoken to members of the committee. He has also spoken to USA Basketball, expressed strong wishes to be part of the team, which is very admirable. It's of great personal significance to him to be on the Olympic team."

Jackson, now a non-voting member of the selection committee and an NBA vice president, was the Grizzlies general manager that drafted and subsequently traded Francis to the Rockets. Snubbing Francis is said to be his revenge.

"I would say that it is completely untrue," Jackson said. "I hold no ill feeling toward Steve Francis at all. That was another time, another place. I've gone on since then. I've watched with great delight Steve Francis' maturation as a player and as a person. Personally, I like him a great deal.

"But as far as his inclusion on the United States' Olympic team, that is a matter of him being voted on by the committee. Competition for these spots on Olympic team is very, very keen. The committee has taken great care in selecting the team that they feel will work well together, be able to play a style of play that is competitive in international basketball and whose sole mission is to compete for the gold medal."

Jackson probably could ruin or make a candidate's case, but the USA Basketball selection process is very political. Turf is carefully guarded, and Jackson is not in a position to bully.

"The competition for those spots, even with some players unable to play or choosing not to play, is very keen," Jackson said. "Not everybody can make it."

In other words, Francis didn't make it, and it didn't take some other agenda to keep him out.

Link: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2637378

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

So Lamar Odom and his 20 drug arrests gets an invitation in this extremely "keen" process.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This is no news.......well at least to me. I post a link to the list of the USA Basketball committee members which showed that Stu was a non-voting member.

The other question is this - how much influence does he have on who the committee eventually selects? Methinks very little because of the structure of the committee. Also ESPN should take some of the blame - they have illy portrayed Stevie and Mobes as ball hogs and selfish players.

I would love to see how the committee carried out its final votes though.

#3 Fegwu, Jun 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

http://www.usabasketball.com/news/usab_committees_010412.html

5. Matador

Matador Member

Thanks for posting those article Fegwu and sup123.

Colangelo, King, Kupchak, O'Connar, St. Jean, Thorn, Newton, Dumars, and Smith are on my hitlist. :mad: :p :mad:

Let Stevie play in the Olympics for goodness sakes!

He has to be at least given a chance if the following have been given a chance: Andre Miller, Baron Davis, Mike Bibby, Stephon Marbury, Lebron James, Jason Kidd, Allen Iverson, Dwane Wade.

I don't care what your stance on Steve is you have to know that he is at least comparable in ability to those listed above.

And more importantly that talent, in my opinion, is that he wants to play. I'd rather have a player that desperatley want to represent his country in the Olympics than someone like those listed in my sig with their lame excuses!

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's not fair that he doesn't get an invitation!

7. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

We now have the answer, just read the statement carefully and you realise that they dont think that Steve Francis can play the style of team game needed for winning international basketball. Its realy the same reasons why the Rockets plan to move him to another team.

8. Christopher

Christopher Member

I was thinking about this the other day.

Francis plays that playground style of basketball where he is the point guard...the shooting guard....the team leader......

But at International level you'd want a guy that can distribute the ball and shoot from long range wouldnt you?

Im not pretending to be a basketball expert here....but thats what I think anway.

The U.S. team cant go out and beat other sides by freaking them out with cool moves.....the U.S. team will need to rebourd and shoot well. Play solid defence...they'll have to have some of the good basics in place.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm not a huge Steve fan, but some of the names I've heard are ridiculous. I like Wade, but Francis has put up the numbers. Who's next to be named? Spree? Ginobilli? Tinsley?

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

And what kind of style do Marbury and Wade play? How about Amare Stoudamire? Iverson?

I aint buying this article. Stu Jackson can say what he wants in the media, but he is lying b*stard. I dont think Jerry Colangelo is much fond of Francis either.

11. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I like Steve's attitude.

12. Christopher

Christopher Member

Mate, I wouldnt have the first clue who they have selected for the US team. All I know is they keep over looking Francis and I just thought that might be the reason.

If they have been going with guys like Francis....Im willing to take the "Lying b*stard" line. :)

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It doesn't even matter anymore, the USA team has become a rookie all-star and it shows. We thought we could send out anyone last year and we deserved to lose, period.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Article is a bunch of BS. Stu Jackson denies that his decision is revenge oriented. Big, huge shock. Francis is a vet, Wade is a rookie, with the gold medal on the line I don't want a bunch of NBA rookies being called upon to deliver.

15. University Blue

I'm not sure why Francis continues to lobby for an Olympic invitation. If I were Francis, the first time the committee omitted me from their selection process would have been the last time I considered playing for the Olympic team.

University (Brewing Stu) Blue

16. littlefish_220

I am sick of all excuses of those original candidates. Safty concern? Give me a break. In athen is not considerably more dangerous than in New York, no way!

Steve is lovely. His personality is adorable. There is no reason he is not invited.

17. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

You know, i wrote Feigen a long email about this exact subject last week after Dewayne Wade was picked. He never responded back, guess this is his response to me :)

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who actually thinks Jackson would respond by saying "Darn. You got me. Yeah, we're just getting back at Steve for that whole draft thing."

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Did anybody expect Stu to come out and say "yeah, I can't stand that b*stard. As long as I'm here, he'll never make this team."

20. sup123

sup123 Member

bottom line is he doesent vote in the players. Everyone is saying he is keeping Sf from being on the theam. Which i dobut. I guess the whole damn committe is in on it then, their just out to get francis :rolleyes: .