1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They are also both old, slow, completely devoid of athleticism and bordering on washed up. And they will only get slower and worse.

Both would be a terrible fit here. They couldn't even come close to keeping up with our pace.

#81 Williamson, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Jones has improved no doubt. But he is a liability defensively and gets out rebounded 2 often. Really need a big strong 4

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I still can't figure out why they don't just tell Asik to buck up because there are plenty of minutes to be had, especially when Dwight gets a few terrible fouls called like last night. Frankly, I don't think Asik has earned the right to be dramatic about it or to request a trade. Who the hell are you? Yeah, you're a good backup C who got the chance to start for a year. It's not like you made the all-star team like the guy they got to replace you. You're paid. You're contending. Seriously, cry a effing river for us. Can all the long faces and slumped shoulders. What a baby. The more this goes on the less I believe they can pull out the Morey-magic and get something crazy in return. The more this goes on the more I believe ASIK is the player we need on the floor.

Also, if we're going to trade him, we need another G. Not another forward. That guy Lee from a couple years ago would've been a perfect fit on this team.

1 person likes this.
  4. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Rockets trading for Boozer or Randolph will only work in the short term. I predict both of these guys will suck by the year 2016. They will either be bums, or role players coming off the bench due to age.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh? Just a little? Well that doesn't sound so bad.

Wait - playing in only 81 games over THREE seasons is 'a little' injury prone? This guy is about as injury prone as any player in the league.

6. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I respect that, and that will probably be the case for them in the league, there arent many true PFs tho who fit that role and that would be ideal for this team,not a true stretch 4 like what most people think IMO. Like a Goon at the 4 like how Indiana has West, but they are all either old,have bad contracts or both. lol. The only 4's that are like that come to mind to are West,Z-Bo, and Boozer and there is also not many young PF with that skillset as well.

7. bmd

bmd Member

Word on the street is that the Rockets and Sixers have a deal in place.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Asik for Thad Young makes zero sense as the core of a trade. Young is maybe a top 30 PF....Asik is a top 10 center. They are nowhere in the same stratosphere of value.

We all keep forgetting that there is likely a 3rd team involved. IMO, that is where the real value will come from, and it is also where Asik may be headed to.

I see two separate trades....

Asik and Dmo for Hawes and a 1st round pick from a 3rd team.

Lin for an expiring and talented young player/pick.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL. I think its time for someone to go to BimaThugs salary cap school.

Even if for some crazy reason Morey was able to shed and renounce every single player on the roster other than Howard, Harden, and Parsons going into July, and assuming the salary cap goes up to lets say 60 million (being generous here), the Rockets would have 22.87 million available in cap space.

Then you factor in cap holds for their 1st round picks and empty roster charges. I don't have a calculator on hand but I'm guessing it would total something around 3 to 4 million for the remaining 8 empty roster spot charges they would have to account for giving the Rockets about 19 to 19.8 million in cap space to offer Lebron, Bosh, or Wade.

Given that all 3 players have been in the league for 10+ years their max salary would be 35% of the cap which is 21 million dollars.

You are dealing with a ton of "what ifs" here-

-What if Howard was convinced to reconstruct his salary
    -What if Lebron/Bosh/Wade took less money
    -What if Morey was able to work miracles to trade Asik, Lin, D-Mo, Jones, Garcia (player option next year), & Canaan for ZERO salary beyond this year in return
    -What if the Heat have a disappointing postseason and decide to blow it up

That's a lot of "What Ifs" man. I think its best served Morey's energy to just focus on getting the best deal possible with Asik this week, and make sure he doesn't take any contracts past the 2014/15 season unless its a pretty special player. Also focus on draft picks because more than likely to truly upgrade this team further, trades are going to be key.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We should try to retain Dmo,despite his slow progress. True 7 foot low post scorers are hard to find. Lin should be retained.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Even if the Rockets don't get either a starting caliber PF, true stretch 4, or a backup 5, the Rockets have a ton of ways to still address those needs in small secondary trades.

Look no further than former Rocket alums.

-I have a nagging suspicion that Ujiri is NOT planning on resigning Patrick Patterson this Summer and would warmly welcome moving him to the Rockets for a 2nd round pick. Getting Patrick back for the 2nd half of the season to give spacing at the 4 spot would be huge for a playoff run and would come at a bargain. The Rox have 2nd round picks to spare, and will have few roster spots next year for further 2nd rounder development.

-For the backup 5, I actually wouldn't be shocked if the Rockets try and steal Jordan Hill back from the Lakers. Hill has actually played very well in the minutes he's been given but just can't seem to fit in to D'Antoni's super stubborn system. You'd have to think that they aren't planning on bringing him back next year, and will probably try to get something for him at the deadline.

Guy really runs the floor well when motivated, can rebound the heck out of the ball, and finishes well around the rim. He's not the 2nd coming of Amare like we all hoped, but as a backup 5 for this team I think he's a good fit for a playoff run.

12. linwantsout

linwantsout Member

13. Play07

Play07 Member

Great post yeah bima would be the perfect person to ask about how much we could offer him if asik & Lin are gone this summer, Garcia is on a vet. Min so dmo & jones contract weigh more because of the rookie scale salary. Bosh or Lebron would be great here, Wade NO. If morey brings in hawes then that's a good start because his contract expiring this summer

if I'm morey, I bring in expiring contracts that can help us WIN NOW, "hawes, deng etc this keeps all options open for this summer without the team taking a hit & I hope camby will be healthy playoffs possibly next year "another vet min contract"

This more realistic than the love & lma trades people discuss here. We don't have much to send blazers/timberwolves vs other teams with picks & players. If they were to be free agents 2015 it still a risk letting parsons walk not knowing if love & lma would really come also, and you have to take into consideration him and his new agent will not wait around when other teams start bidding he's is long over due for a larger contract

14. Play07

Play07 Member

Another good post man ! I was thinking the same thing Patterson is the perfect rental for the back up PF spot.

15. Play07

Play07 Member

16. basketballholic

We're not looking to shed salary right now. We're looking to increase salary all the way up to luxury tax line and over...if the incoming salaries are good young players and expiring deals.

One possibility with Thad Young/Hawes would be flipping BOTH guys or one of them at least. I could see the possibility of flipping both guys to Phoenix for Okafor's expiring contract and picks.

Trade would be Asik/DMo to Philly, Hawes/Young to Phoenix and Okafor here.

OR

Perhaps we synergize the Asik trade with the Lin trade and wind up with another expiring and pick out of the deal to go with the expirings of Hawes/Okafor and pick.

17. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Not sure what's supposed to be in the link, but it downloaded something on my desktop and sent me to a website called "Vube." Not cool. Also, great username. Goodness man.

18. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

19. linwantsout

linwantsout Member

its an mp3 audio link to what i recorded when i was listening to ESPN New York's Alan Hahn who covers the Knicks and has insider info.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member