1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. izeroi

izeroi Member

Well lock the thread up and play some ball. We'll revisit this in February I'm sure.

2. torocan

torocan Member

We also have to remember that much of the reported trade talk is that the stumbling block was which pick and the protection on the pick. It's quite conceivable that Morey and Co thought that they would find a satisfactory middle ground, but in the end neither side was willing to move sufficiently to satisfy the other.

Deals break down all the time over what seem like workable issues that turn out to be insurmountable in actual negotiation.

The thing to keep in mind is that there is still a window of multiple months for sides to reach an agreement. It just wasn't reached today.

3. Andrew Wiggins

No GM would intentionally hurt his rep like that. He gave a deadline to get a deal done. Everyone saw the offer to beat and no one did. He backed out with legit reason.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If it didn't include an exceptional pick or two, I agree.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The only thing that got traded was Morey's dignity for a bag of chips.

Lesson learned. The best trades were never the ones that had a set date on it. And specially don't seem like a tough guy that you have a word and even more don't go out saying that they were too many deals to pick. Arron rooflaflols.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yep. Sound like McHale, unlike some people here, knew yesterday that the deals on the table were crap and that Morey was unlikely to pull a trigger on such a crap deal. So, he was speaking in preparation for "keep Omer" mode.

7. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Where the hell is cyberx while all this is going on?

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I just don't understand how Bass, Lee and a protected 2014 pick even makes sense for Asik. Bass and Lee are negative players - you'd have to give a pick to unload them. Bass messes up your 2015 cap space.

9. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Did anyone really think Morey would do Bass, Lee, and a crappy 1st round pick?

Lee's contract isn't Morey's style.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I don't think anybody doubted we weren't coming from a place of leverage. But I do happen to think the drop in leverage has a lot more to do with the fact that the entire league knows how badly Asik wants out, than with the fact that Morey announced today as his desired deadline. Leverage went out the window as soon as Asik's displeasure went public.

11. mms

mms Member

No deal is a good deal.

12. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

Within a half hour it went from Philly being involved seriously along with Boston to no deal at all. I'm not buying it.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

People complainibg are clueless. Morey isn't going to dump Asik for pennies on the dollar. Asik created this situation now he has the opportunity to play himself out of it. Tellum will keep the dialogue up with teams and in the end we will get proper value

14. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Relax everybody, this is the point at the car dealership when you storm out of the building in feigned frustration, hoping the salesman chases you and agrees to your terms.

15. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Morey is waiting for someone to bite.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I guess I'm mildley surprised no deal happened today but not shocked. Personally I'm not crazy about Bass at all and don't think he would get minutes on this team.

Trades are never really over until the asset is traded though, so who knows. Maybe tonight when we turn on the computer, there will be a brand new player wearing a Rockets uniform.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>At Toyota Center, Omer Asik just walked out of the arena. Guess he won't be speaking today...</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/statuses/413738313195855872">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>At Toyota Center, Omer Asik just walked out of the arena. Guess he won't be speaking today...</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/statuses/413738313195855872">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<p>This is a perfect example of where morey shatters people's expectations of merely being a methodical stat guru. Numbers have little to do with his most valuable attribute.</p>
    <p> Dude is a cold blooded NBA GM</p>

20. Play07

Play07 Member

Nice power move by morey! Notice this info was leaked 3 hours before the flight leaves, he still has tomorrow also, morey will answer the phone if someone calls trust me. It’s not over until the 20th deadline, 50/50 chance asik stays after that