1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik not worried about Dwight Howard talk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, May 6, 2013.

1. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Dwight sucks..we need production...

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Did I say Asik sucks at D? Please dont put words in my mouth.

I said he isnt a defensive force. He's a very good rebounder, but other teams dont shy away from the paint because of Asik. There are a number of reasons why our defense was the worst in the NBA last season...and one of those reasons is because Asik isnt an elite defender.

And since you are so keen on getting a stud PF...please tell me who we could get at a cheap price that is a "stud". Or better yet, a "stud" 6th man...lol.

3. cbk41

cbk41 Member

The Rockets had the #1 half-court defense when Asik was on the floor. Our high pace and turnovers pus leaky transition defense contributed to our bottom of the league defense. It got better as the season went on overall as well.

Not saying Asik is better than Howard, but to seriously think defense from a big man is purely a function of blocks and vertical leap is asinine.

1 person likes this.
  4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Dwight will be a top 5 player again next year.

Asik is our second best player though, so it sucks if we have to let him go.

5. rocketsmetalspd

I hope Howard stays in LA. Do not need the Drama King in H-Town.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Asik has been here 1 year, his next contract is going to be at least 50% larger, tbh he's worth in the range of a 4yr 48m deal, as long as he goes somewhere where he gets to play starter minutes, he'll be happy.

7. Aleron

Asik being on the court moved our half court defense from bottom 10 to top 3, yes he really is that good at defense.

Our transition defense though was a whole lot of suck, but a lot of that is because we created transition defense through bad turnovers.

8. all_heart

all_heart Member

thank you

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

If the Drama King brings the Championship Bling, which he has a much larger chance to do than Omer Asik, then I am all for it.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why should Asik be worried. If anything, he should WELCOME Howard to Houston.

Last year Asik was taking plays off and coasting. I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean he had to watch for his fouls and stamina because, let's face it, all our other bigs sucked ass on D. And Asik needed to stay on the court. With Dwight Howard, Asik would play much more aggressive like he did at Chicago, when he was shot-blocking and rebounding at a rate that warranted Morey to give him $25mil.

Howard and Asik would complement each other so well that the Rockets instantly becomes a top-5 defense. A top-5 defense plus likely top-5 offense(we were #7 with Asik insted of Howard) is instant championship contender.

11. verysimplejason

Attitude is more important than talent...

-Pops-

12. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Really only reason I want him on the team is he's a knowledgeable poster and Rockets fan. I really respect his opinions so I want him to play for us.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I love these stats. They enforce what I already believe. And what's even better is so those Morey. He has thousands of stats like this at the touch of his Ipad and knows that. I still beleive Howard is better overall. But when you add it all together it's a lot closer than many imagine.

14. Aleron

Dwight missed 7 games after a herniated disc and with a torn muscle

And people say he doesn't give his all *smh*

15. Aleron

Since Daryl Morey clearly seems to be going after Dwight Howard, knowing it will cost over twice as much, what do you think his stats are saying pray tell?

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Well advance stats from 2012/13 season tell us...

Dwight Howard
    PER=19.4
    ORtg=105
    DRtg=100
    Ows=2.8
    Dws=4.8
    WS=7.6

Omer Asik
    PER=14.9
    ORtg=105
    DRtg=103
    Ows=2
    Dws=3.5
    WS=5.5

Morey is reading from advanced stats that Howard is the winner!

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

This is advanced stats to the layman.

Morey has real advanced stats that we don't know of.

And does the stats suggest Howard is worth $12M/yr more than Asik?

Not saying I don't want Howard, but it really is a lot closer than you think.

18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

for this year sure, but Dwight was coming off of offseason surgery, wasn't 100%, was playing in D'Antoni's ****ty system with Kobe. So I expect his stats for this past season to be a little down, but when you look at his body of work I'm of the opinion that he is worth $12m more per year than Asik based on expected future production which will be closer to his previous years

19. demarco1

demarco1 Member

you will never know until he come and play here... same like when lakers take him in, everybody said lakers become contender with D12, kobe, nash and gasol... but the fact.... no one knows until now.... so you know what i mean

20. coffeelover665

You can'tgo from saying Morey have advance stats that we don't know about to then telling us its closer then we think like youhave access to those stats. Number one logic though