1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik not worried about Dwight Howard talk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, May 6, 2013.

1. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I wish he would, but he just doesn't have the offensive talent to do put up 16 a game

2. rocketblood713

Lets get D12 and keep Asik lol

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Ha ha ha, dude your low standards are hilarious!!!! We should decline going after Howard because Asik could end up being a 16 and 12 guy?!?! Ha ha ha that's hilarious. We don't want Dwight Howard because he could be a 16 and 12 guy we want him because he's got better hands than Omer, he controls the paint better, and because he's a much better pick and roll player.

I'm going to stop arguing with you, because the more I think about it the more I realize that since schools almost out, you probably now have an extended bedtime and you're just on ClutchFans arguing with the grown-ups to pass the time until Space Camp opens for the summer. I refuse to partake of your new hobby any longer. Good night sir, please by all means continue to challenge the patients and intelligence of the other adults on this forum with your "Our team doesn't need the best players in the NBA attitude", I for one humbly bow out.

4. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Ability to command double teams. Leaving up to 4 other shooters open. Play Orlando style son.

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Not to mention an extra 8-10 points from harden/Dwight pick and roll that asik normally misses from harden.

6. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Omer had 17 games this season with 16 points or more points...so what you sayin???:confused:

7. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

Injured Howard>Asik and it's not even close.

If we could get a healthy Howard playing in our system game over.

I could see Howard avg 20 and 15. We say Asik with no offensive skills get 10 ppg this year. How many times a game does Asik get a pass at the basket and miss a layup or fumble the ball and lose it?

Howard would dominate playing with Harden.

Then we could trade Asik for a PF.

8. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

:eek:

9. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Let's not mince words. D12 is much better than Asik scoring wise (mainly due to much better hands and dunking the ball instead of laying it up. He's also quicker laterally and grabs rebounds better than Asik. D12 is coming off a major surgery and injury, so his stats are muted. Next year I expect him to average close to 14 rebounds and 2.5-3 blocks.

That being said, the upgrade from Asik to D12 is not as great as our other needs, mainly PF. Plus the cost of our center position would double taking valuable cap space with it.

Thus, I would go hard at getting the right PF for our team. That PF, I think is LMA. He's very unlikely to get, but Morey has pulled miracles off before. There are also other PFs available that I'd hope the Rox push for before pulling the trigger on the D12 trade. D12 would get us to the second round. I'd rather have a championship.

10. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I'm gonna miss Omer. He's a victim of there being a grossly superior player available. I admired his work ethic and spunk in the same way that I admire the little engine that could.

11. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Howard was a 17 and 12 guy this season...so whats your point???

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sure...I could also say that the D would suck more without Parsons on the floor. I can also say the D would suck more if we sat Smith and played DMo instead. Asik is a good defender, nobody is saying he isnt. However, he is far from intimidating and he doesnt nearly have the impact that Dwight has in the paint.

Actually, it makes his contributions less impressive. Look at who we had running the 4 all season long...the fact that we basically had no power forward paved the way for Asik to grab more rebounds and score more points. You think Asik would have the same numbers if we had Gasol instead of Greg Smith? Let me answer that for you...no, he wouldnt. Asik "anchored" the worst defense in the NBA. Bravo.

Okay...so there were moments when Asik was the only one going for rebounds...that's more of a knock on the rest of the team than anything else. If we sub Dwight for Asik, we give up at least 3 less points per game. I see my point very well...you cant compare the defense presence of the two players. You just cant...and there is a reason why market value says that Dwight is worth that much more per year than Asik. Every GM would pay Dwight at least double what they would pay Asik. Even Morey.

#52 rezdawg, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  13. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

And that was from just coming off surgery and having a torn labrum :cool:

14. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

checked those 32 games Howard had where he scored 15 points or less in a game...best center in the NBA or most dominant center...Please stop making excuses for the Tinman :mad::mad::mad: Most to all of yall only want Howard cause you guys think he is still the best center in the NBA

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

:rolleyes:

my whole point is that you are getting a marginal upgrade from Asik to dwight when SUBSTANTIAL upgrades could be had at PF and even PG. YES MARGINAL, Dwight's upgrade will mainly be on offense, hardly a need for this team...not on D or rebounding...and his injury history bodes for a sketchy future at best.

So ok, lets say we get Dwight, Asik leaves, you still have the SAME HOLES we had before. The Defense will STILL SUCK when Dwight goes to the bench. Dwight will be going for rebounds on his own, and you can still knock the rest of the team. Not sure how the defense is going to improve with Dwight on the bench.

And to say you can't compare Asik's D to dwights is wrong. Asik is an elite rebounder (top 3) and elite defensive center--as is dwight. Thats my point. Where are we more likely to get an upgrade that actually makes a difference for the team??? I agree Dwight is the better player on paper but thats taking it on faith that he will rebound from last year, not to mention Asik is still on the upside/growth curb while Dwight has most likely peaked and we can only pray he doesn't get injured again.

16. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

So salty. He even finishes his dunks being injured. :cool:

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

And my point is that he isnt nearly as good defensively as you, and many of the Rockets fans, think he is. Just because you can get rebounds doesnt mean you are a defensive force. Nobody in the NBA is scared to drive into the paint against us...and that is because Asik is sitting there with his 1 bpg, which is TERRIBLE given his size. Heck, Eric Bledsoe, the Clippers PG, gets more blocks per 48 minutes. Asik is not much of a defensive presence...and Dwight would be a HUGE upgrade.

18. Penetrate&Creat

I don't understand the CF folks here who want Dwight with the Rox... Omer literally busted his ass off this entire season and went from having a mediocre offensive game to a respectable one, and on top of it all has ELITE defense.

he's a team player, he works hard, he has great D and his offense is getting better, not to mention he's finally found his flow with Lin/Harden. Why do you guys want to trade someone who we've crafted from scratch and still has a few finishing touches left for a some primadonna?

The logic on these boards... the only thing we need imo is a solid PF, and we'll real damn scary next season

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

ok I guess I'll just disagree with you that Asik is not a defensive presence. Not sure what games you've been watching or who convinced you otherwise, but if you think he sucks at D, then we can't really have a discussion.

There are a lot of good reasons to get Dwight, I don't dispute that. I'm arguing on a dollar for dollar comparison, whereas we could spend the cap on upgrading with a stud PF, stud 6th man, maybe even PG, or even a 1 year rental and then go for free agent targets in 2014. If all we do is substitue Dwight for Asik, I believe Rockets fans will be sorely disappointed in the results. Just ask LA. The great center howard got swept in the first round. How did that happen if he's such a stud??? So confused!

20. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Yup, this is actually the main reason why we must do everything possible to sign Dwight and sell high on Asik.