1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik aka the flying Pelican

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ItalianRocket, Jul 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. delishman

delishman Member

Oy. I understand your frustration but...

"Rome wasn't built in one day" -LeGone

And Rome wasn't built with Ty "Reek" Evans / EGO and their respective contracts.

2. bmd

bmd Member

I don't know why that's funny... Davis is one of the best shot-blockers in the NBA, and Asik is a beast on defense. And they are both beasts on the boards.

That is a nasty front court.

3. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Agree and if Anderson Can stay healthy he would be one of the best 6th Man next Season.

4. conquistador#11

i think harden is going to stop getting all the calls this season. It always happens to us. some new harden rule will be talked about.

but yeah the pelicans' frontline is tailored made to stop what we do. Granted, we could counter with pick and rolls but howard is above coming out and setting picks. we still have the three point shot. but if we're going to shoot a million threes we better at least make 390,000 of them. :p

5. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Asik = computer software error by Morey's stat team. He is over rated as hell.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We did slightly better in games with Asik playing more than 10 minutes than when he played 0-10 minutes. .67 vs .63, which is about 3 games over a 82-game season. So without Asik we would have been a 51-win team at 5th seed instead of 54-win at 4th seed.

Yeah, the difference wasn't that big, but you can't say we aren't worse without him.

And he did make quite a difference in the playoffs. No?

Anyway, I hope Howard doesn't get injured. I don't trust Joey Dorsey just yet.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Wrong on both accounts.

In 2013, Asik's only year as a full time starter he faced Dwight (LAL) 3 times.

Howard averaged 20pts, 14.3 reb, 3.7blks on 50% shooting in his 3 games vs Asik.

Asik averaged 8.67 pts, 10 reb, 0.33 blks and shot 61.9% FG%.

Also remember that in 2013 Dwight was still recovering from back surgery and was playing with an injured shoulder.

Jones and Davis matched up twice last season.

In the first game

Davis scored 18 pts (8-14 fg) and had 16 reb.
    Jones 17 pts (6-8 fg) and had 8 reb.

Second game:

Davis 24 pts (8-13 fg) and 7 reb
    Jones 25 pts (10-17 fg) and 8 reb.

We will be fine, New Orleans won't make the playoffs and we'll get their lottery pick.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You think we go 6-5 with Jones / DMo at center? No way. Show some appreciation, Asik won us games.

9. Deniz

Deniz Member

Great frontline for NO with Asik and Davis

10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I actually feel good about the big fella going to New Orleans, & will follow his career as I do with all ex-rockets...the only player I'm dirty on is Chandler 'Superstar' Parsons.

Good luck Big O.

11. mesta

mesta Member

Asik locked down howard, for a while.howard eventually destroyed asik, because he didn't have to spend energy on defense. My question is how good monty williams is? If monty find a way to make howard expend energy on defense, howard could be isolated. If monty is clueless, howard probably would own asik.defense

12. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Anyone who doesnt understand that the rockets as currently constructed are a worse team without Asik, is hopeless.

Maybe mauri will make some moves to compensate for it. But as of now, we are worse of not having him. ANd our Division rival is better off for it.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Don't all pelicans fly?

Isn't the whole "Flying X" meme supposed to be for something that normally DOESN'T fly?

You wouldn't say Al Horford the Flying Hawk.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Honestly.... I think the Pelican's end up being a matchup nightmare for alot of teams due to their size, but that doesn't mean the NBA doesn't come up with a proper game-plan for good teams to beat them on a nightly basis & in the playoffs (assuming they make the 8th seed).

The Pelles still have alot of holes in their roster, little perimeter defense, a consistent/healthy perimeter offensive threat, and major questions about depth.

I think they will struggle to score and will likely go small a lot to finish games with Davis at the 5 in order to score the basketball.

They will still struggle to win games, but I think their size will give folks headaches going up against them during the regular season. I see alot of wins against teams on back to backs.

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Howard will guard Asik. Not really a secret. Howard's offense will be just fine.
    Believe it or not, in the past, Howard has played defense and still been able to play offense too.

Howard will be good against Asik no matter what NOP come up with. Likewise, Anthony's man will still score well against him...most opponents do.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Howard going against Asik with the help side shot blocking of Davis is not the same as Howard going against Asik one-on-one.

This will be tough matchup for Howard.

Not much defense needs to be spent on defense vs Asik, He will get his 4-10 garbage points whether its Dwight or Steve Nash guarding him.

Asik and Davis combo should be a terrific front court.

17. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wYOOuyoPh9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. joesr

joesr Member

You replied to a better front court message with the wing back court players? DAFUQ? :confused:

19. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

good buy butterfingers!

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

And that frontcourt can easily shut Harden down on drives.

Id hate to matchup with them in the playoffs. I think well have the better record but theyll beat us like 3 or 4 times in H2H matchups. Theyre scary.