1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympics - China using underage girls?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SageHare6, Aug 10, 2008.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yall need to stop. It is a well established scientific fact that Chinese girls look younger than girls from every other country in the world.

2. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

3. rfila

rfila Member

I am watching the game now. To me, that Shawn Johnson not only is so short, she also look younger than any other girl on the floor. It seems she has not got rid of the baby fat!

I believe she is 11 at most. Chinese cheat, American cheat more! But I won't complain if a 11 year old American beats those 16s and win a gold medal unless 11 year old is the best age for this game and those 16s were not allowed to compete when they were better athletes at 11.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

5. yuantian

:D i said i wasn't really arguing about cheating or not. in the beginning i was, i guess. i said before that there were a couple that i thought were like 13/14.

but then some posters are making judgment based on some photos. you can't really tell someone's age by looking at freaking photos. that's why they check ID when you buy alcohol.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Test them bone age if they are serious about the enforcement.

BTW, I'm in the camp of ridding the age limit.

7. DaDakota

Except that the US athletic federation has no ability to FORGE FAKE PASSPORTS like the Chinese do....or rather DID......

DD

8. yuantian

isn't her coach a Chinese? maybe that's why she is like underage too. :D

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

LOL. Great post.

I'll break it down:

- You don't care that the Chinese are cheating.
    - The rules shouldn't apply to Chinese because Nadia was awesome at 14.
    - Despite factual evidence that the girls are under 15 and a half, scientifically, the only possible conclusion is that they are at least that old.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

i was thinking the same thing

those girls look mad young

11. yuantian

did you even read the scientific facts that i posted? how did your scientific facts prove otherwise?

as for cheating, i am not convinced that Johnson is old enough. don't give the crap that US don't make fake ID. if you really want something, you can get it here.

12. yuantian

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I thought you just said you can't tell someone's age by looking at them? What about Shawn Johnson makes you think she's not of age? The USOC isn't dumb enough to cheat in these competitions knowing that the microscope is going to be on US athletes.

As for your "scientific facts," you posted a wikipedia article stating general trends. DaDakota and others have posted actual documented evidence that THESE PARTICULAR GIRLS are not of age.

14. yuantian

documented evidence? i don't believe anything people say on the internet anymore. humph! if they were making fake age, why don't they do a good job and get rid of the old ones? did they decide to leave a trail just so someone can find out they cheated?

15. rfila

rfila Member

Did I say USAF cheat? It could be SJ's parents cheat! They somehow got an birth certificate for her many years before she was born! or many be SJ was the one cheats. She stole the passport from here older sister!(or her neighbour).

Actually I do not know who cheat or how they cheat. But Shawn Johnson can not be older than 11, that is what it matters! Well actually it doesn't matter, what matters is American cheat!

16. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I didn't know that 2007 World Gemnastics Championship was a junior event. Wasn't Johnson Shawn a key member of that championship team? Born in 1992, I would assume that she was 15 in 2007, no?

You are right that US government prosecuted Jones, just like China banned those caught with dopping abuse. But before that, so many rumors circled around players like Jones or Christie, I don't see NBC running with those "I believe" stories, on the contrary, those athletes were featured in media for so many times, to accuse athletes from other countries to use performance enhancement drugs, and they were the examples of leading clean and fair competition.

Sure that Costas just "reports" existing stories. You mean that Costas who claimed "no matter what difference we have, it's the time to come together", but hey i can't help to talk about something bad politically in every country except for US - Costas? You mean that Costas, even 12 years ago, couldn't stomach to give any praise to Chinese? - They did well, but hey look how mechanical they are, they are forced to train long hours everyday blah blah. You mean the Costas who tried so hard to be Tim Russert, and forgot he was hired to commentating sports? You mean Costas, after President Bush told him that it's important to show respect to the people if you want to engage with them, kept asking whether the president pressed Chinese about Tibet?

BTW, where were those posters whinning about Yao holding the torch while having Mao's picture behind him? How come I don't hear them whinning about President Bush was on TV having Mao's picture behind him? How come I don't hear them whinning about Costas reporting everyday having Mao watching over his shoulders?

I thought the credibility of Chinese media or anything Chinese related were totally ignored by some posters here, but all of the sudden one news report is your "hard" evidence?

To me, first, I think this whole turning 16 in Olympics year thing was a joke. Second, if you go on to national TV to call one country is cheating, you need something more than "I believe". But that's just me.

17. DaDakota

Ok, link please, as we provided.

Thanks,

DD

18. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

So you don't believe the official Chinese news agency and official Chinese web sites (taken from DaDa's article) that state that the gymnasts are under age? Or is it that someone Rather'd the articles and posted them in the cache of the web sites for inquisitive journalists to find? Or could it be that you just plugging your ears and going "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" about this whole thing?

Personally I wouldn't care if the girls were 10 or 40 if there were no age restrictions. However, there is a rule that clearly limits who can and can not participate. If they break the rule, they should be punished.

19. yuantian

SJ is 16 and half. last year, she was 15 when she competed in World Championship games. So she should be able to compete if the same rule applies because she won't turn 16 in the same year.

so in that case, this Olympics rule is either newly added or totally stupid. if they just added it, that would totally screw up some country's preparation.

20. yuantian

no, i believe EVEN LESS about Chinese source. so many Chinese news agency pull some **** out of their ass just to piss people off so they can get more readers.