1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympics - China using underage girls?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SageHare6, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

15 is ok as long as they turn 16 in 2008. I don't know how many different competitions these girls enter, but their ages are verified so whatever they competed in, they were allowed to. For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_controversies_in_gymnastics

And the 16 year olds were participating in Junior events, not senior events 2 years ago, nice try though. Their ages aren't magically changing in time for the Olympic games. You can read their bios and see where they've competed here:
    http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/NationalTeam.aspx?prog=w&h=975

Who prosecuted Jones, the US govt did. Lance Armstrong has been tested and tested and never failed. And the 41 year old swimmer went above and beyond and enrolled into extra testing in a voluntary program and even then the US media has questioned her.

The only person outright accusing them is Bela, don't act like Costas has said "I believe" they are younger. He's just reporting the story that exists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/s...l?_r=3&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

See, nobody is just accusing them on tv based on their looks, as suspicious looking as they are, it's based on China's own websites.

2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Those girls are wearing make up and they STILL look around around 12 at the oldest.

You can't honestly be telling me that you think all of those girls are at least 16.

3. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

You know I could really care less what age they are but looking at this pic I really can't see any of them being over the age of 13:

[​IMG]

4. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

first two are older, probably 17, last two are about 15-16

5. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

as someone pointed out earlier, as long as you are 16 by the end of the year, then it's OK. so say they are about 15 and half right now. are you telling me, you never see at 15 and half year old girl look like that before? in China, there are.

i am not saying these girls are 15/16 for certain. of course, they look like younger compared to the girls here. if you don't live with that population, how can you tell how old they are?

like i said before. on many many occasions, my friends thought i am at least 5 years younger than my actual age is. when i tell people my age, everyone of them is so surprised that i am that old. i can honestly say, that without any knowledge about me, no one can guess my accurate age. most people are at least 3 years off. so it doesn't surprise me that these people who accuse these girls being underage, have no freaking idea what they are talking about.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I heard there is documentation they are way under 16......by a Chinese newspaper....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep here ya go, they are underage.

"The Times found two online records of official registration lists of Chinese gymnasts that list He's birthday as Jan. 1, 1994, which would make her 14. A 2007 national registry of Chinese gymnasts - now blocked in China but viewable through Google cache - shows He's birthday as "1994.1.1."

Another registration list that is unblocked, dated Jan. 27, 2006, regarding an intercity competition in Chengdu, China, also lists He's birthday as Jan. 1, 1994. That date differs by two years from the birth date of Jan. 1, 1992, listed on He's passport, which was issued Feb. 14, 2008."

"In Chinese newspaper profiles this year, He was listed as 14, too young for the Beijing Games."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly the Chinese authorities are cheating....why am I not surprised?

DD

#46 DaDakota, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  7. halfbreed

As has been pointed out, the original accusations come from official Chinese records indicating that they aren't of age.

Secondly, I'm 23 and people think I'm 18 when I first meet them. That being said, age is a lot harder to differentiate in the late teens and twenties than it is when you haven't hit puberty yet. If anything, since girls hit puberty at an earlier age, females tend to look older than they are.

You're making this into a racial thing when it's not. I guarantee you that not all of those girls are 15 and a half. Some of them I can believe that for. A couple of them just aren't even in the range of "benefit of the doubt" territory.

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

Based on the training I've received from the Chinese posters on the forum, I'd say these old hags are at least 40.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Karolyi is not the only one who has doubts about the age limits of these athletes. And apparently this wouldn't be the first time that cheating has occurred on the part of China:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/sports/olympics/27gymnasts.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

And also, the U.S. Women's Gymnastics team are the reigning World Champions; to even imply that they could possibly be acting like sore losers is silly... I'm sure they'd just like a level playing field; so just lift the age restrictions and then there won't be any controversy.

10. yuantian

no, i wasn't trying to make this into a racial thing. i guess it does sound like it. oh well, i wasn't trying. it's more of a demographic thing.

but it is.

read this.

Timing of onset
    This section does not cite any references or sources.
    Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (May 2008)

Puberty is a process with a gradual onset beginning with changes of neuronal function in the hypothalamus, resulting in rising hormonal signals between brain and gonads, proceeding to gonadal growth and production of sex steroids, which in turn induce changes in responsive parts of the body. The definition of onset, therefore, depends on the perspective (e.g., hormonal versus physical) and purpose (establishing population normal standards, clinical care of early or late children, or a variety of other social purposes). The most commonly used definition of onset for both social and medical purposes is the appearance of the first physical changes described in this section of this article, but it should be understood that these physical changes are the first outward signs of preceding neural, hormonal, and gonadal function changes that are usually impossible or impractical to detect.

The age at which puberty begins can vary widely between individuals and between populations. Age of puberty is affected by both genetic factors and by environmental factors such as nutritional state or social circumstances. Timing may also be affected by environmental factors (exogenous hormones and environmental substances with hormone-like effects) and there is even evidence that life experiences may play a role as well.[25].

Ethnic/racial differences have been recognized for centuries. For example, the average age of menarche in various populations surveyed in the last several decades has ranged from 12.0 to 18.5 years. The earliest mean is reported for African-American girls and the oldest for high altitude subsistence populations in Asia. However, it is clear that much of the higher age averages reflect nutritional limitations more than genetic differences and can change within a few generations with a substantial change in diet. The median age of menarche for a population may be an index of the proportion of undernourished girls in the population, and the width of the spread may reflect unevenness of wealth and food distribution in a population.

[edit] Genetic influence

Various studies have found direct genetic effects to account for at least 46% of the variation of timing of puberty in well-nourished populations.[26][27][28][29] The genetic association of timing is strongest between mothers and daughters. The specific genes affecting timing are not defined yet.[26] Among the candidates is an androgen receptor gene.[30]

[edit] Environmental factors

If genetic factors account for half of the variation of pubertal timing, environment factors are clearly important as well. One of the earliest observed environmental effects is that puberty occurs later in children raised at higher altitudes. The most important of the environmental influences is clearly nutrition, but a number of others have been identified, all which affect timing of female puberty and menarche more clearly than male puberty.

[edit] Nutritional influence

Nutritional factors are the strongest and most obvious environmental factors affecting timing of puberty.[26] Girls are especially sensitive to nutritional regulation because they must contribute all of the nutritional support to a growing fetus. Surplus calories (beyond growth and activity requirements) are reflected in the amount of body fat, which signals to the brain the availability of resources for initiation of puberty and fertility.

Much evidence suggests that for most of the last few centuries, nutritional differences accounted for majority of variation of pubertal timing in different populations, and even among social classes in the same population. Recent worldwide increased consumption of animal protein, other changes in nutrition, and increases in childhood obesity have resulted in falling ages of puberty, mainly in those populations with the higher previous ages. In many populations the amount of variation attributable to nutrition is shrinking.

Although available dietary energy (simple calories) is the most important dietary influence on timing of puberty, quality of the diet plays a role as well. Lower protein intakes and higher plant fiber intakes, as occur with typical vegetarian diets, are associated with later onset and slower progression of female puberty.

Studies have shown that calcium deficiency is a cause of late puberty, irregular and painful, cramping during menstruation with excessive blood loss, and lowered immune response to infections in young girls. This could be from a deficient diet or lack of vitamin D from too little sun exposure. This lack of calcium could predispose them to osteoporosis later in life.

[edit] Obesity influence

Scientific researchers have linked early obesity with a drop of puberty onset in girls. They have cited obesity as a cause of breast development before nine years and menarche before twelve years. [31] Early puberty in girls can be a harbinger of later health problems. [32]

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Where are the facts?

Go watch some stupid Taiwanese pop show before you comment on Chinese women's age.

BTW, I'm still being asked for DL every time. WTF!!

12. DaDakota

They are underage, case closed.......read post number 46 above for the link to the article.....

Cheater cheater pumpkin eater !!

DD

13. yuantian

if the range is between 12 to 18 and half, i don't see why they can't be 15/16. and note the part about Asians being later. and also, food intake, and fat, that makes American girls go faster. i would say, it is significant enough cast doubt on these accusations.

WTF! why am i arguing about these stupid crap on girls puberty when i gotta go to work tomorrow. :mad: :mad: :mad:

stupid nbc accusations!!! waste of my time!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. LoveRoxHateJazz

Has the thought of the Chinese government forcing Yao to sit out and miss the regular season/playoffs crossed anyone elses mind?

15. DaDakota

Did you even READ the article posted above?

They are underage.....

The Chinese are cheating.

Period (which none of these girls has probably experienced).

:D

DD

16. DaDakota

For those too lazy to read......all the posts.

17. halfbreed

You're continuing to ignore proof that they aren't of legal age. Why can't you just admit that China is using players that aren't allowed in the competition?

18. AGBee

AGBee Member

PROOF SCHMOOF! The anecdotal evidence don't lie.

19. yuantian

i don't even care about cheating or not. like someone mentioned before, nadia won when she was 14. so the age rule is stupid.

i am just arguing the fact that people look at some picture and say they are certain of their age. but if you look at scientific fact, there are very high probability that they are 15/16.

20. DaDakota

Well that is a different argument all together......

Dropping the age requirement is fine by me....but that does not change the fact that China is clearly cheating here !!!!

;)

DD