1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Older International Freshman - thoughts or advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Downtown Sniper, Nov 1, 2016.

1. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

First of all, good job on taking this first big step. Community colleges are a lot cheaper than universities. Normally, this is where people take the first two years of their college to save some money. Since the material is almost the same, except for the college experience and networking.

Yes, you don't have to complete the first two years to transfer. You can transfer any classes you passed as long as the university is willing to credit you for it. So ask the university if your classes will transfer.

No clue regarding F1 visa, but I think companies have to sign a form first before employing you in order for you to work. Don't quote me on it though.

Good luck!

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

International students on the F1 Visa cannot establish in state residency, it says on the UH website. F1 regulations will limit employment opportunities to on campus only with a cap on the number of hours you can work. You can find more info at www.ice.gov/sevis

I am a SEVIS Designated School Official and admissions officer, I will email you offline...

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

As others have said, HCC is probably your best bet initially. Do a semester or two there of "basics" while you research and visit universities.

Don't eliminate any of them until you at least speak or meet with an admissions counselor either. Talk to them about scholarship opportunities. UH, UHD, and St. Thomas would all be worth looking into. St. Thomas has a very diverse student body and lots of assistance for international students as well as scholarships; yes, they are expensive, but talk to them and apply for scholarships. I'd do the same thing with UH.

Also a good suggestion to seek employment on campus, some schools even provide discounted or free tuition if you work there - free is only going to be if you work in a full time position though in most cases.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think it would be really awesome to go back to college in your thirties with all the life knowledge and confidence with girls you probably have now.

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the necessity for a car in Houston. Our public transportation is very limited, and getting anywhere outside of the downtown area will take a long time. Either get a car, or expect to use Uber a lot. Or prepare yourself to spend an hour of waiting and bus-riding to get from Midtown to the Heights (3-4 miles).

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Age is less relevant than you think it is at a large university, very large numbers of people go back to college to enhance their job prospects, match a retro-active requirement for their current job, or start over after a divorce or stint in the military.

It is likely NOT compulsory to stay on campus, but figure out what the local housing costs are before you factor that out completely.

University of Houston has several satellite campuses: UH-Downtown is the closest, UH Clear Lake and UH Fort Bend/Sugarland are pretty far in opposite directions.

Texas Southern University is the only other public, four-year college that is as close (or cheap) to downtown as University of Houston or UH-Downtown; TSU is fully accredited but the quality and prestige is considerably lower. You might consider doing your first two years at Houston Community College and then transferring to University of Houston. Every other college in the city is private and therefore more expensive.

I would encourage you to consider getting a car; even though the "Metro" local bus service was good enough for me at U of H, you could easily have to ride more than 90 minutes: between transfers and travel time, if you live too far away from Downtown. Bear in mind that bus drivers also take breaks; not too many, but they take them when they want to and that can tack another 15 minutes on to your route.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Oingo Boingo

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thought this thread would be a professor asking advice on whether to date his undergrad.

"Hi team -- so there's this hot Russian undergrad who came into my office with an interesting plan for how to get an A in my class ... "

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

[Message 1 of 2]

Thanks again everyone for your help.

I've left out quoting some people because I think the answer would be contained in another reply I will have done so please don't think I'm disregarding your comment!

That's the biggest thing, and truthfully I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to figure this out and get the ball rolling.

As a lot of people have said, I think it's smartest to begin with a Community College, which one yet hasn't been figured out as there's pros and cons for each.

One for instance didn't offer financial aid to international students, one didn't offer on campus living - so it'll be a tough decision.

I loved it when I came a few years ago. When my brother met me a couple of weeks afterwards and we just hired a car and drove to random places in Texas, it was great.

I think a car is essential at some point. I know I need to wait 30 days after arriving/beginning class (can't remember what it was specifically - but it was 30 days) before I can apply for a Texas licence.

Over here, there's the Sydney CBD - which is the whole city basically incorporating where everyone works, the Harbour Bridge, Opera House etc etc - and within 10 minutes or so of leaving the CBD you're hitting suburbia.

Is it like that when leaving Downtown Houston as well? Or do you need to go a bit farther away from Downtown until you start hitting those small town 'Friday Night Lights' type towns?

That makes a lot of sense. I'm probably worrying too much about it since it's so much of an unknown to me.

I had a thorough look through the website for this University, and I noticed it was a Catholic school.

Is the faith a constant subject for all the students there? Or for those who aren't Christian it's not an issue at all?

Granted, I'm Matthew... and my brothers are Mark, Luke and John. So we are a Catholic family - but it's been a while since I attended church regularly.

Haha I'm sure that guy might've been a bit more interesting than me! All I've got an interest in is The Army, country music, and the Rockets.

I should've never looked at the University of Houston website in depth. It's so damn expensive, but looks absolutely amazing and would be an unreal experience.

I cannot stand 95% of Sydney girls and will swoon big time over the first girl I see in cowboy boots ha!

I suppose it might be the same thing though if you were coming to Australia and being sick of the girls in Houston!

It's reassuring that a few people have said similar things.

Just a question with the older classmate, was he only active in the classroom, study sessions, things relating to the course etc? Or were people happy to actually have him at parties or social events?

10. Downtown Sniper

[Message 2 of 2]

If I'm being completely honest, my only passion work wise was the Defence Force.

It goes without saying that if there was any type of course which could have a 5% chance of doing some type of work for a sports team - then I'd obviously love to have a look at that.

I still think I'm able to be moulded for a new career path.

But I'm actually paying a lot of attention to the occupations which are relevant to the H1B visa - in that a company can sponsor an international for work - and that international can then apply for a Green Card.

It sounds idiotic - but even before I set foot in the United States - I'd always dreamed of living there. It appeals to me so much more than Australia.

Types of jobs:

Occupations in Writing and Languages
    Writers,
    Editors: Publication, Broadcast, And Script,
    Other Occupations In Writing

I would take that to mean a Journalist? Advanced English and Extension English were my two favourite subjects during Year 11 and 12, and a Journalism degree was the only thing I'd ever contemplate about doing in Australia.

Occupations in Finance and Administrative Specializations
    Accountants, Auditors, And Related Occupations,
    Budget And Management Systems Analysis Occupations,
    Purchasing Management Occupations,
    Sales And Distribution Management Occupations,
    Advertising Management Occupations,
    Public Relations Management Occupations,
    Personnel Administration Occupations,
    Inspectors And Investigators, Managerial And Public Service,
    Other Administrative Occupations

I've worked in two office jobs for 8 years total, and have become a senior member in both of those roles - so an office life is something I sort of begrudgingly accepted was my future - ever since the doctor at the School of Infantry said so due to my injury. So I wouldn't have any hesitation in doing courses which relate to furthering those skills.

Medical Science however would be a course I could study that has actual internships which could only help in getting a foot in the door and impressing a company who could ultimately sponsor me with the H1B visa. And with Memorial Hermann in Houston might be a smart path to look at going down?

Thanks Dagger. I actually told my parents about the plan last night. (my mum being a previous lawyer for the government has an opinion - usually negative - about everything)

And she didn't have one bad thing to say about it which is surprising.

I'm not even upset that I need to move back home for the next 12 months to save every dollar I can to make this happen.

I did a bit of research on a few websites and it seems like I could work 20 hours a week on campus.

It's near impossible from what I understand, for an F1 visa holder to work outside of the University. An additional request needs to be made to do this, and only granted apparently to those experiencing financial hardship who aren't able to work on campus.

I look forward to your email mate.

To tell you the truth the more I think about it after seeing everyone's words here, the more comfortable I would think I will be as a 30 year old as opposed to going to college as the awkward 18 year old I was.

I told my best friend and one of my brothers as well about this plan - and neither of them were surprised.

My best mate actually said it'll be a great thing considering how I've been since leaving the Army, and how I speak about going to Houston 6 times a day.

They both did crack the joke though about being the creeper older guy talking to young girls. And I really hope that isn't going to be the perception from others!

Thanks for the warning, I definitely think I will need the car because I'm not so sure I could deal with public transport again!

In addition, I think it'll be best to stay on campus so I can get the most out of the social experience of college. I did come across on the University of St. Thomas website the following:

UST offers two distinct residence halls. Guinan Hall is a “traditional” style residence hall for students of all classifications. Young Hall is an “apartment” style residence hall geared toward upper-class and non-traditional-aged students. Both halls have great amenities and activities that make on-campus living fun.

Do all universities have a couple of living options? Is there any pros/cons to one or the other?

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Exactly. My first big boy job I nearly was given the College Station sales territory... I was so excited. Instead I got Pasadena :/.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You shouldn't really worry about age, there are plenty of Graduate, PHD and Executive Education people on campus. Especially in Houston.
    The most important thing is that you tour the campus and review the major you are interested in before you shell out money and spend years of your life there.

13. Downtown Sniper

I've had a look at the professions which could potentially grant an H1B visa and have narrowed down the list of courses.

However, is there any insight into how difficult it is to gain employment in the following professions:

- teacher (is there a greater need for EC-6, 4-8, 8-12 etc?)
    - health care administration
    - journalism

For instance, my brother is a high school teacher and he's taken the last year off from his current school after being there for 10 years, because he felt the need for a change of scenery - and there were multiple (9 in the span of 2 weeks) positions available for him.

I would ideally be looking for a career path that has the greatest potential to be sponsored for employment.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

After Oil & Gas, healthcare might be second largest industry in the Houston area. The Texas Medical Center is one of the largest in the world, and has multiple hospitals and medical schools on site for which there would be thousands of managerial jobs, separately in Galveston Island there are two large medical schools for UT and Texas A&M.

Teaching is a good field to pick just because of Houston's large population and continued growth, which guarantees higher enrollment and inevitable higher demand for faculty. Don't restrict yourself to Houston proper or HISD, lots of good school districts in Harris and surrounding counties. Major in whatever you want, just make sure that you find out the certification requirements and commit some portion of your time to that separate coursework.

Journalism is at a very strange place right now. The second largest university and university system in the state, Texas A&M, recently got rid of their journalism program. You can definitely major in Communications at U of H, write for the Daily Cougar, intern at local media stations and make a decent career out of it, just remember the competition is likely intense for reporting jobs, so be open to PR, Advertisting or Corporate Communications roles with large companies or non-profits.