1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Old School Barbershop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by magman, May 20, 2008.

1. magman

magman Member

Do any of you guys and gals know of of an old school type of barbershop, you know the ones that still use a blade to shave and put the hot towel on your face? In like a 1950's type setting.

I've been trying to find one with no luck, Maybe you guys could help me out.

This is in Houston btw

Thanks

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think Joe Lee's barbershop fits the bill. It's at 1925 Milam Street according to Google and their phone number is (713) 622-3883‎. I believe they're dedicated to being an old-school, mad-white barbershop. I've seen ads for the shop in the Houston Press proclaiming "Flat Tops Done Right!" They used to have a shop near my old apartment at San Felipe Court (near Roll-N) but they've moved that shop someplace.

Just to be clear, I've never actually gotten a haircut there, but it seems like the kind of place you want.

3. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Head to the ghetto

4. magman

magman Member

I'm already there. lol

This is really more of a gift for a friends father.

Thanks that seems like what she's looking for, I appreciate it.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

there is a barbershop underneeth the Shell Building 1 downtown. Never been in there but it catches the eye because all of the barbers look over 50 and its very professional looking. i'm going to guess they shave with blades

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are there really in barbershops who *don't* use hot towels and straight razors to shave with. Every barbershop that offers shaves that i've been to do.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I know of one out in the DC area. Doesn't help you, but the story is this.. I went there, sat down for a haircut...he busted his straight blade out of his pocket, had his comb and stuff sitting on a tray with a bunch of hair from someone else in it.. I don't think the blade was sterile. Seemed like a disease trap, so I'm never going to a barbershop like that again.

8. brooksstephens

haha... I'm a regular at a barbershop exactly like you describe, and its awesome. However, I live in Virginia.