1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Old pictures from history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulftsk, Feb 20, 2014.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

[​IMG]

Here's a better one, same year 1972.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's the "everyday life" pics of the past that intrigue me the most. I've seen pics of World Wars, of famous people, and tragic moments - it's the everyday pic that makes me think and the stuff I want to know more about. For example, this is possibly one of the most incredible photographs of the Depression era, but it's pretty "everyday" :

[​IMG]

In the 1970's, she did the following interview (warning : autoplay audio) :

http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe30s/movies/thompson_water_06.html

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When I saw that story, I must've stared at that pic for 5-10 minutes just trying to think what that scene was like and what the intent of the artist was when s/he did it. Talk about ancient history preserved.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So did I, back when I first saw the story. I'd love to go into one of the caverns that has art like that on the walls, but once discovered, they are almost always closed to the public in order to preserve what is there. I've seen some Native American art in this country, which is fascinating, but seeing something like that ancient art 10's of thousands of years old in person would be a real trip. I love going into caves. It's one of our favorite pastimes during the heat of a Texas summer. Central Texas is full of them.

Entrance to Meramec Cavern in Missouri, off Route 66, back in the '30's. You could drive in!:

[​IMG]

Another old shot from inside the cavern:

[​IMG]

5. NateNate

NateNate Member

I wanna say those signs aren't allowed on Houston Skyscrapers anymore. Notice how our skyscrapers don't have names on top like some cites

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd be surprised if that's the case. Houston doesn't have any zoning. The city is allergic to it. Probably just the trend now.

7. conquistador#11

fantastic thread. great form and quick release.

best ones were Ford, dat lighting! looks like sally mann took it when she hopped on a time machine.

Ali vs Williams, dat angle!

Start of the miniskirt, dat ass!

and ww2 messenger dog. why steven spielberg hasn't done a film on these little furry guys is beyond me.

Oh and stalin goofing around.

thread is a 10, breh.

8. NateNate

NateNate Member

That would seem weird givin our lack of zoning laws; which I believe we do have, but are nowhere near that strict so it just seems we don't. I could of sworn I read somewhere about signs be outlawed on top of skyscrapers... I will look it up

9. NateNate

NateNate Member

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/dev_regs_links.html

10. NateNate

NateNate Member

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

On the sign thing..

Houston does not allow any signage on buildings in downtown above 42 1/2'. There are a few exceptions to the rule, older buildings granfathered in such as the Rice Hotel and the "Houston Chronicle" as well as city or county owned buildings such as the Toyota Center and Minute Maid Park. Another exception, made specifically for Continental Airlines, was allowing corporations that occupy over 45% of the building they are in to be projected onto the structure.

12. YoMing

YoMing Member

So whats the story behind this picture? I've never seen this photo and I'm pretty interested to know. Stuff like this fascinate me.

13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Looking at the Houston Skyline over the past 40 years, the buildings in the '72 photo look like midgits compared to what it's become today lol

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So that was from the Department of Planning and Development? Because we definitely don't have zoning. Austin, where I've lived for years now, certainly has zoning, as does the ugly burg 200 miles north of Austin. Heck, the vast majority of major cities have some form of zoning. I wonder how much power that department has? While I doubt that anyone has bucked the sign requirement, it would be interesting if a company decided to put up a sign on its downtown building anyway. Probably "corporations that occupy over 45% of the building" would cover it, but does the department really have legal authority to enforce such a ban? No biggie, and I'm glad they're restricted, just curious.

15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

[​IMG]

Sadaam Hussein awarded the key to the city of Detroit in 1980. Yes, Detroit.

One of the best threads, very interesting stuff. Should be stickied or something.

16. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

The White House in 1865

[​IMG]

The last known photo of a Bali tiger taken in 1937.

[​IMG]

A Coca Cola delivery truck in 1909.

[​IMG]

Hitler in the mid-1930's feeding a deer.

[​IMG]

Searchlights during an air raid drill in Gibraltar in 1942.

[​IMG]

The only known photo of Fredric Chopin.

[​IMG]

The exhumation of President Lincoln in 1900. Lincoln’s tomb in Springfield, Ill. was falling apart and, during refurbishment, the caskets of the president and his wife were opened to make sure thieves had not stolen anything. According to eyewitnesses, Lincoln's body was perfectly preserved.

[​IMG]

Execution by cannon in Iran sometime in the mid to late 19th century.

[​IMG]

Abraham Lincoln's hearse, 1865.

[​IMG]

Mona Lisa being returned to its home at the Louvre in Paris, France after WW2. 1945.

[​IMG]

St. Catherine Street, Montreal, Quebec. Circa 1916. Shorpy.

[​IMG]

Niagara Falls during the freeze of 1911. You can see people walking right at the bottom of the frozen waterfall.

[​IMG]

The construction of DisneyLand

[​IMG]

Dismantling the Berlin Wall in 1989

[​IMG]

“Amplifiers at Bolling Field, 1921.” Two giant horns with ear tubes, evidently designed to listen for approaching aircraft

[​IMG]

Red Army photographer Yevgeny Khaldei (center) in Berlin with Soviet forces, near the Brandenburg Gate in May of 1945

[​IMG]

One year after the D-Day landings in Normandy, German prisoners landscape the first U.S. cemetery at Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, France, near "Omaha" Beach, on May 28, 1945

[​IMG]

This is an aerial view of the city of London around St. Paul's Cathedral showing bomb-damaged areas in April of 1945

[​IMG]

Japanese Kawanishi H8K seaplane after strafing. Kwajalein

[​IMG]

Deck crew climbing up to get the pilot out. He did

[​IMG]

Marines disembark LST at Tinian Island

[​IMG]

Red Army snipers doing some anti aircraft work.

[​IMG]

Garman tank at Prokhorovka

[​IMG]

Hitler in the crowd at Odeonplatz during mobilization of the German army during World War II. Munich, August 2, 1914

[​IMG]

Trotsky in Mexico

[​IMG]

Pope John Paul & the man that tried to kill him

[​IMG]

Che Guevara and Fidel Castro

[​IMG]

Hitler and Göring, date unknown

[​IMG]

Adolf Hitler and his dog Blondi, date unknown

[​IMG]

Warming up a He 111 bomber's engine, date unknown

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

School dance, 1950

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A meeting of the Mickey Mouse Club, early 1930s

[​IMG]

"Equipment carried by a parachutist radio operator", ca.1940's

[​IMG]

In 1913 it was legal to mail children. With stamps attached to their clothing, children rode trains to their destinations, accompanied by letter carriers

[​IMG]

The White House kitchen, circa 1909

[​IMG]

Apollo 1 crew crossing the access arm to the command module on January 27, 1967

[​IMG]

Che Guevara greeting a woman in North Korea

[​IMG]

39th Tomsk infantry regiment with their motorcycle-mounted machine guns during WW1, Russia.

[​IMG]

A German Krupp K5 283mm railway gun firing. It was one of the most commonly used railway guns during World War 2 by Germany.

[​IMG]

Natives admiring an American Air Force F4-U “Corsair” somewhere in the Pacific. 1943

[​IMG]

Times Square. New York, USA, 1943.

[​IMG]

Folsom Street in San Francisco, USA after the great earthquake of 1906.

[​IMG]

L Motors dealership that specialized in selling Dodges and Plymouths. New York City, USA, 1948.

[​IMG]

A newly liberated French citizen happily lights Winston Churchill's cigar in 1944.

[​IMG]

The flooded Nile in 1927.

[​IMG]

Anne Frank pokes her head out of her family's flat in Amsterdam in 1942.

[​IMG]

A pyramid of helmets from captured German soldiers on display in New York in 1918.

[​IMG]

The first passengers on the brand new New York subway in 1904.

[​IMG]

President John F. Kennedy shakes hands with teenage Bill Clinton in 1963.

[​IMG]

June, 1969 -- The flow over Niagara Falls is stopped for maintenance work.

[​IMG]

Lenin looks creepy in the last known photo of him in 1923. He had three strokes by this point and was mute.

[​IMG]

Marilyn Monroe meets Queen Elizabeth in 1956.

[​IMG]

George Orwell holds a puppy during the Spanish Civil War in 1937. Ernest Hemmingway can be seen in the background.

[​IMG]

1873: Two years after the Great Chicago Fire, the city is rebuilding.

[​IMG]

Steve McQueen and James Coburn serve as pallbearers at Bruce Lee's funeral in 1973.

[​IMG]

Miss New Zealand faints during the 1957 Miss Universe Pageant.

[​IMG]

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Lots of war pictures here. lol

19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Anybody else got any more interesting pictures? Keep this thread going!

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sam Houston, first president of Republic of Texas, who helped bring Texas into US, was born today 1793: <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#LOC">#LOC</a> <a href="http://t.co/ruwMszahHZ" title="http://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/440152230172180480/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/ruwMszahHZ</a></p>&mdash; Michael Beschloss (@BeschlossDC) <a href="https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/440152230172180480" data-datetime="2014-03-02T15:50:44+00:00">March 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>