1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Old pictures from history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulftsk, Feb 20, 2014.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I'm not even going to address how ridiculous this post is.

Have fun trolling. :)

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Great album cover. Rep to the first person who knows what I'm talking about.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/eoBGqLt96Pg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/eoBGqLt96Pg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Most of those old pictures are of just everyday life. Not quite as interesting. There are a few good ones though.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're missing the point. Random everyday pictures tell a great deal, in my opinion.

7. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

It does tell a great deal, but it's just not as interesting, at least for me. I got bored after while.

[​IMG]

I think the picture of young Bin Laden is fascinating. Putin just looked like he is today. Laden looked so innocently happy hanging out with what appears to be a pretty westernized family. No one with berkas, beards or ak47's. I wonder at what point did he changed and just thought; "Death to all Americans".

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Saratoga during WWII, 1943-44. My father served on her for a time in the Pacific.

[​IMG]

The Sara on her last mission, July 25, 1946. She didn't sink for several hours. Ironically, at least to me, today she is the only WWII era carrier that can be seen underwater by divers. The Saratoga is at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, famous as a site of early atomic weapon tests. She's clearly visible in the image below.

[​IMG]

OP, I love stuff like this. I still have dozens of 1960's Time Magazines that I kept back then, as much for the images as the stories and ads. They have incredible photos of the Vietnam War. Kudos! And SwoLy-D, there isn't any "magic site" for these. Go to Google images and search for images of whatever interests you. There are countless old photographs to look at.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

keep em coming - this is my new favorite all-time thread!

for those of yall on "the facebooks" there is a really cool page called "traces of texas". this guy posts tons of old texas photos...
    www.facebook.com/TracesofTexas

here is a more houston-centric one...
    www.facebook.com/BayouCityHistory?ref=profile

my grandmother is from bangalore, india. her dad was brit and mom was indian. my mom recently emailed me a bunch of pics from the 1930's. its so cool to see old photos like these, especially when its your family...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Elizabeth Taylor
    [​IMG]

car wreck in Washington DC, 1921
    [​IMG]

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In same vein.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oLVyRvp2Qbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Awesome pictures! So what % indian are you?

13. rudan

rudan Member

The black guy be like "gay honky be trippin"

:grin:

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

great-grandmother was indian so i guess that makes me 1/8th? my grandparents met when my grandpa was stationed in bangalore during WWII. he was a plane mechanic in the airforce and we were working out of british bases there.

my greatgrandfather worked for the british railways building railroads. he had worked in east africa then came to india. he lost his job when he married my greatgrandmother b/c the british didnt want him to marry an indian.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a trip. My father helped set up a technology program in Bangalore in the mid-'60's, as well as programs in other Indian cities, in both East (now Bangladesh) and West Pakistan, and in other parts of the world. He did this for decades during the summer for USAID. I was lucky enough to go with him to Bangalore, which was far different then than it is today.

17. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

[​IMG]
    Chase Tower overlooking Downtown Houston during construction, 1981

[​IMG]

Inside the Summit, 1976

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

[​IMG]

George HW Bush at an Oilers game, 1980

[​IMG]

Ronald Reagan at the Galleria in 1980 for his campaign

19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

[​IMG]

Archie Manning and Oliver Luck on the Oilers, fathers of two of the biggest names in the NFL today, 1982

[​IMG]

Downtown Houston, 1979 with my school UH Downtown in the in the middle (looked somewhat different despite basically still being an ancient looking box lol)

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

[​IMG]

Downtown skyline, 1972. Notice the "Gulf" sign on top of the Gulf Building. They should bring it back, just for the sheer hell of it. Also anybody remember a green neon-lined building in Downtown? Whatever happened to it/the neon?