1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Old Dick Justice article on Alexander, Adelman, Van Gundy and Morey in 2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 13, 2011.

1. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Another thing that comes to mind is that if we know this much about Les Alexander's reputation as an owner, coaches around the league must know much more.

He could conceivably have a worse rep than this article infers. If that is the case, what are the chances a good up-and-coming coach decides to take this job and deal with the unreasonable scrutiny the past more established coaches have had to deal with. If anything, they might assume that the pressure will be worse because they do not have the experience nor reputation to vouch for them when Alexander starts to doubt their position.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

and remind me why I got so much **** for calling out les so many times before?

He is the owner of the team and deserves respect in his own right, but aside from the business point of view the guy meddles with the basketball side of things that the caoch is responsible for.

JVG over acheived

but Adelman 1 upped him in that respect.

Are people really so forgetful when it comes to the playoff series 2 years ago?

We DIDN'T HAVE HOME COURT.

-WE LOST DEKE
    -Our starting PG was a sophmore with less that half a season starting under his belt
    -We managed to grit out the series vs the lakers as far as you could possibly imagine despite insurmountable odds.
    -The players LIKE adelman, they perform at a much higher level under him.
    - Sorry, but even addelman fails to turn **** to gold sometimes.
    -We didn't make the the playoffs but most people realize we had no business in doing so.
    -Adelman is looking at the bigger picture. He is proud of what the team has done, he by no means holding them accountable for how it concluded and trying to be optimistic about next season.

-The biggest joke this season stems from the fact that probably moreso Les than Morey actually banked on Yao being healthy this season and failed to get a reasonable backup.
    Brad Miller does not count when it comes to the category. You can't slide past the requirements and home to make ends meet when your already in such a deep hole.

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

time after time its an overly bitter departure , regarding player or coach.

4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

No offense reeko, but you are being incredibly naive in this respect. Assuming that a coach with track record of adelman is continuously making decisions detrimental to the team while the GM is the only one trying to win couldn't be further from the truth.

The rockets WERE not going to win a championship and had the slightest chance of making the playoffs this season. Time after time rick has had to deal with a joke of a rotational musical chairs game with no one person being set to play yet he managed to squeeze the best out of the current group.

Coaches have their own way of doing things, a coach that has made the finals nearly two times, (SHOULD have in 02-03), supercedes any unqualified and especially unjustified criticism from the likes of those incapable. He is the general on the floor, acting like finding players is easier than commanding them strategically on the court is incorrect.

5. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I like both Adelman and JVG as coaches, but RA a bit more.

I like Adelman for his offensive system and the ability to get anyone a shot.

I like JVG for his antics: who can forget seeing his Honda civic get blown away by the jet engine or hanging onto Zo's leg in that Knicks-Miami series?

6. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

This.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Funny thing is: While JVG was our coach, most of were infuriated at him for things like his constant scowl during the game, like he was always miserable, no matter what. Now we love him because he seems like such a funny, happy guy.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha exactly.

I should clarify myself: I didnt mean to come off like a JVG-hater or JVG is a bad person/coach. Of course many love JVG(at least the JVG on TV:p)myself included, but as for the coach...I don't know. I'm not sure. I'd say <40-50% of the fans would want JVG back. I think many cringe of those days again and would prefer Adelman and/or the Adelman style over the JVG style. Of course I could be wrong.

9. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

i liked both of them, let's bring them all back, come on les....

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

One thing's for sure, Alexander hates missing the playoffs and he's very hard on the coaches when they miss the cut. Les is very much a "grass is always greener" type of owner when it comes to his coaches. I liked JVG, but I felt it was fair to let him go. I think Adelman is one of the best coaches in the league, and I'll be sorry to see him go. I am intrigued, however, to see Morey pick a coach.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Anyone else completely forget about this article?

I think people who want this team to be blown up or "tank" are going to be disappointed. It appears Les accepts nothing less than a lot of winning.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

what a fail post as others have already pointed out.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Adelman will have alot better offers than the rockets roster. The proof is in the pudding and he will have his pick. It wouldnt surprise me to see him go to La or back to Sacramento. The Kings are a good coach away from getting in the playoffs. They will have another high pick, moving to anaheim, and have a top gm in petrie.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If you look at the posting history, it shouldn't be a surprise.

15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

LOL! Gold.