1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olandis Gary could come Cheap..

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Smallz88, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

Broncos | Gary Would Cost a Fourth-Round Pick - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
    12:34 PT: The Denver Post reports the Denver Broncos have given a $563,000 tender offer to restricted free agent RB Olandis Gary. The Broncos can match any offer Gary receives or they'll get a fourth-round draft pick as compensation.

this could be a RB the texans could use, they could probably get him cheap also

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I really don't know if Den RB's are that good. Mainly because they rarely have to make something out of nothing, which is one of the biggest differences between great RB's and average RB's.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They have proven in my mind that they can make something if the OL provides it. The Texans offensive line looks like it will be able to provide something as long as another guard and center are provided. Not all RBs can make something out of something which is a really sad state of affairs.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agreed..i think olandis gary would be MORE than serviceable...seems like a pretty good fit, actually. every running back is a gamble, frankly.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I think that Gary would be a steal and better than the RB that we have now which is none.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

He wouldn't be high on my list. I would rather get A Smith, L Smith (say if the Fins get Ricky) or Zeroue.

I say save the 4th round pick and try to go better than Gary via FA or the draft.

7. Summer Song Giver

Lamar Smith is a bum, Smith won't leave NE, and Zeroue is a notch below Gary IMO. I'd be happy with Gary running the ball for HTown in it's inaugural season. Just my 2 cents.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I would take a chance on him.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd do it too. This is like buying into Tiffany's stock right after 9-11. Eventually, your going to get a big return on your minimal investment.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

On the NFL-level 90% of tailbacks can do something, if given the blocking.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It wouldn't surprise me if DeShuan Foster slipped to the 2nd round.

If that happens, the Texans should draft him with the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would give a 4th rounder for him. Unless the Texans can get something better.

13. Desert Scar

That would a good pick-up (Foster). I just think Gary's effectiveness has been a product of their OL. I remember when the ex-49er back-up to Terrel Davis looked great behind that O-line.

And I don't think Gary is better than either of the ex UH Smith's. Lamar did pretty well on a really bad offense. Zeroue had a great OL like Gary, so it is gard to tell, but I think Zeroue is more explosive. Stacey Mack and Micheal Pittman are also FAs.

Now if the Texas don't have a suitable RB via the draft or strait FA (why give up the 1st pick of the 4th round if you don't have to), then Gary would look to me to be a better option.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

there's no question he'll drop to the second round (unless a) he has a lights-out combine, or b) some team big-time reaches). foster's vastly overrated.

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

With the sixth pick of the 2002 NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys select....................

16. haven

haven Member

Lamar Smith? He was 19th out of 21 qualifying rushers in the AFC this year. 3.1 yards per carry. The year before, which was his best year, he averaged 3.7.

No thank you.

17. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

I dont know how anyone can argue with giving a 4th rounder for OLANDIS GARY
    a proven rusher

18. Desert Scar

Derrick Loville (I think I recalled his named right--the 49er scrub) was a "proven rusher" behind a Denver OL as well. Travis Jervey was a proven rusher. I am not against the idea of Gary, especially as a fall back, but I just think the Texans can do better.

19. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Texans will put in someone serviceable at tailback. Reason being, we aren't great right now...don't get me wrong, we have some great pieces, but overall, the team is not that good and with the life expectancy in the NFL of a running back is not that high, so don't look for our franchise tailback till next year or the year after.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's all about #38, Michael Bassnight, baby! Hop on the bandwagon while you can, I'm driving. The Texan's already have their leading rusher on the roster. I'm calling --- 850 to 900 yards for Mr. Bassnight.

Bring it on, ye of little faith.