1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OLAJUWON/MUTOMBO/JABBAR CHRONICLES] BEST GAME or PLAY or DAY at the basketball court?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jan 15, 2015.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yesterday I went to the gym here at work and played basketball for the first time in about close to a year or so, and I played this guy who was crazily faster than me, and could shoot lights out, but had no inside game. I was way out of shape. I lost the war, but won some battles. Most notably:

He brought some funky stuff in the lane, thought he was past me (he WAS), and shot it with disregard for my SwoLy-D-fensive sKiLLz... [SWAT!!!] I blocked that beesh to kingdom come and iN DeE FaCe, then felt bad enough to not do the Mutombo/JJ Watt finger swag.

Just wondering if you ever had a basketball-filled day or a single game or a single play that stands out like that play yesterday. :grin:

Yes, he was shorter than me and not hispanic????.

[OLAJUWON/MUTOMBO/JABBAR CHRONICLES, honorable mention to Mark Eaton, Manute Bol, and Kelvin Cato]

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have a penchant for playing like ass the whole game and then drilling the game winning 3. Just a clutch gene thing.

1 person likes this.
  3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

me when I play ball

[​IMG]

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was playing in a work-sponsored tournament many years ago and this guy was trying to bully me around in the paint. I couldn't shoot over him, so at one point one of my teamates was cutting hard to the basket and I dished it to him through the guys legs for an easy layup. It got a nice "oooooh" from the crowd watching.

Of course, later on in the game, he actually DUNKED on me and we eventually lost the game by 30+ points. But that was one helluva pass.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

once on a fast break i went behind the back dribble with a defender cutting across me (like the Yao Ming play) and then threw a no-look behind the back pass to a teammate for the layup.

god, i miss basketball.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yes, you did that 3 at UH rec like 8 years ago. I think I rolled the ball out and you were waiting and drilled the 3. My assist was made it happen doe.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was playing pickup in college. A guy much shorter than me broke my ankles so bad I fell over and sprained my wrist.

8. SwoLy-D

It is one thing for you to come into the thread and make fun of me for my story, señor CéMaíz, but I will not tolerate you making fun of Mario Ellie's wrist injury after he dunked vs. the Nuggets. I will not. :mad:

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Once at the local gym, I crossed over paulwtfk and nearly broke his ankles and then let him get back in position before giving him a deadly euro step that tore his ACL and then finished with a quick release step back jumper. Paulwtfk hasn't been seen since then.

10. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

A tip dunk and 1 in the high school state playoffs.
    Only dunk ever and it happened in an actual competition.

Got a scholarship for my deceptive athleticism:p

Other than that I always reflect on my blocks when I lay down to sleep. Nothing more satisfying than a weak side block on unsuspecting victims.

11. Cranberry_Juice

Swoly did you correct his grammar while he was talking smack? Doing so may have confused him and led him to make bad decisions in life.

1 person likes this.
  12. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Alright, so I am always the white kid who no one guards because I look like I can't play and I have a shot form like Joakim Noah. 3 and D is my specialty, very fundamental. Anyway, this is college rec ball, so I think we were playing to 21 or 15 or something like that. I caught crazy fire and after I make the first three 3-pointers I shoot, the other team's best defender starts covering me. I end up having heat check shots basically the whole game and I end up going something like 7 of 8 from deep. We end up winning the game and I am known around the school's rec ball circles as the "two-handed wonder" ever since (due to the shooting form). There are no videos of me passing from that game.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Been trying the harden cross overs, cross over step backs, and euro step. Out of the three, the euro step is by far the most difficult. How do you step left (left foot) then step right (right foot), but then lay it up with your right hand?

I also foul a lot on defense. I pretty much go for all and any fakes.

14. SwoLy-D

You need to first learn to do it slow, then slowly and progressively speed up in the next time you try the entire process. :eek: This is how I've perfected my Iverson "shake my head" then crossover dribble where people think I'm going left and I go right. I can also lay it in with my left. Train your defender to think you're going your WEAKER way first and when he's conditioned to defend you going that way, BOOM... take off the other way. :cool:

Face-to-Face are my preference of blocks. As a weak-side helper, I feel only the satisfaction of blocking my teammate's man when I help him, but... I'd rather block someone who thinks I can't block him one-on-one. :)

LOLs. Good way to finish that post. Nice.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

I was playing with about fifteen people in an improptu tournament we just assembled (in my hometown, all the high schoolers hangout at the basketball courts in the park on a slow night). I launched a full court shot that had a beautiful arc and seemed to move in slow motion- like watching a movie. The arc was literally perfect. The shot swished in and everyone went nuts. The other game actually stopped to watch this shot glide through the air.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was pretty good but this one play always makes me laugh when I was in a college rec game.

teammate's shot was off the mark and the ball hung up in the air. I came flying in over another player and almost had the put back dunk. He turned around and said "*****! I almost got dunked on".

17. SwoLy-D

^^^^^^^^

[​IMG]

:grin:

LOLs! No.

:( I should have, I know. Now I will never know.

18. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I haven't been able to play basketball for a long time due to my back problems, but I remember three games that stood out for me. One in gradeschool, the other two in high school.

In 7th grade, I was the second-best player at my school. I would often play 1-on-2 games against people in my class and still win. But the accepted best player in the school, a guy named Mel in 8th grade, was just so much better than me it was silly.

I didn't know that until he walked up to me one day and said we should play 1-on-1.

We started playing, to 11. When we started it was just us. After only a few points (to my HORROR), basically the whole school had gathered to watch.

It was terrible. I have never been slaughtered that bad in anything, ever. He ended up beating me 11 to 4, but it was so much worse than the scoreline. I only had 1 point near the end, at which point he started going easy and kinda let me have a few buckets. Not sure if everyone watching recognized this as he did a good job hiding it. But I knew.

Lots of people told me afterwards that they thought I played great etc, but I was too embarrassed to even look at anyone, let alone speak to them.

Mel went on to be the star basketball player and 4-year starting quarterback at his high school. Just one of those guys, I guess.

Second one was an intramural game. The period used for intramural teams was when I was in AP English, so needless to say our team sucked pretty bad.

In a previous period (chemistry) I was talking to a guy who was on the team we were about to play that afternoon (during a lab). He was a skinny 6-foot-7 smack talker with crazy handles and could knock down threes. Clearly their best player. I told him "hey, I'm gonna guard you, I'm pretty good on defense." He laughed in my face for everyone to hear and said there's no chance I could guard him (I'm a shade over 6'0 with no hops at all).

So we played them. He kept trying to go inside on me and went 1-for-17 (John Starks would be proud). They still won the game by 1 point, because we had no offense. I walked away without even saying anything to him. Next time I saw him in chemistry, I walked up and he just said "dude, you're really good at defense." I smiled.

Next time I played against that guy, he didn't even try to go inside. He shot 3s all game. I could do nothing about that. He hit like 5/7 from out there.

Third game was just a random pickup game. I went on an offensive hot streak like I've never had before or since. I was always a good post player, especially with fakes/counter-moves, half-hooks, over-the-shoulder or between-the-legs or behind-the-back passes, but I wasn't normally a "shooter."

I was this game. Was hitting everything I threw up. One of my best friends was guarding me, and got so frustrated trying to guard me that he hurt himself trying to chase me around a screen. So a fresh guy subbed for him, and he was just blanketing me.

First play after the sub: I turn him all the way around on a fake pass and drive the other way for the score.

Next I get the ball against him just inside the arc, and he's really draped on me. He stops my dribble and I don't see a good pass available. So I throw up a skyhook almost from 3-point land. Swish. After that his shoulders sort of slumped, and he didn't seem to really even try for the rest of the game. I KILLED HIS WILL TO EVEN TRY! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  19. Cranberry_Juice

Had a church league championship and only 4 people out of the 8 came in my team. By default i became center and ended up with

20 reb
    4 steals
    4-5 assist
    2 pts

We lost that game btw.

20. SwoLy-D

^^^

[​IMG] ????

:confused: Is that you?!?!?!