1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC was close to trading Reggie Jackson to the Denver Nuggets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hard Rock, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hopefully this drops the asking price for Lawson.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

All I can do is put myself in the situation of a GM, and think logically. Logically, I do not think Lawson needs to be moved. I would think that this team has the ability to retool, and have Lawson still be part of that new core in a year or two.

He's on a reasonable deal, young enough, and fits in well with many different lineups. I don't see the need to move Lawson or Faried.

-McGee
    -Gallo
    & Hickson

Are the top 3 players I'd want to move

-Chandler & Afflalo are old enough veterans and on short term deals that I'd look to move now at the right price because of my inability to retain them. I fully expect these to be the two main pieces traded this year.

Nurkic, Faried, Lawson, Harris should be your 3 main pieces being brought back next year with a load of young talent.

-Denver's 1st rounder
    -OKC's 1st rounder
    -multiple 2nd rounders

Will be new players to add to the nucleus next year.

-You move Chandler & Afflalo & you might even have some free agent $'s to go after a young player like Tobias Harris as well.

All Denver has to do is retool here and there, and next thing you know Lawson, and Faried are back to being key pieces around a pretty good young team. As a GM of their team there is really no reason for me to let go of Nurkic, Faried, and Lawson.

Now... if they like Jackson or another young PG enough to replace Lawson than that's another story, but until I see a Lawson replacement going their way, I don't see it. I think he's going to be considered part of their long term plans.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

His asking price is the number of years left on his contract.

4. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Someone will take Perk and his expiring contract

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

How satisfied is Denver with not making the playoffs but also not being among the absolute worst teams in the west? That's where they are, and where they will likely be for the foreseeable future.

I'm curious about the trade for Nelson. It still doesn't make sense to me on paper.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wonder if something like this would work?
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mnjncsn

Nuggets don't really get a whole lot back- but they get rid of McGee's big contract. Thunder maybe throw in a low 1st round or 2nd round pick and the Nuggets can still trade Hickson, Gallinari, and Lawson later this season or in the offseason.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Don't be shocked if the Nuggets fire their coach. The front office is convinced they have the talent to make the playoffs. That isn't good for the Rockets efforts to trade for Ty Lawson.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

As of now, I think 3 coaches will (could) be fired after the season :

Jacque Vaughn - pretty much done deal.
    Brian Shaw - pretty much done deal.
    Monty Williams - only if the NOP will make the playoff to save him.

9. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

if reggie went to the nuggets, i could almost see them being a contendor

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I was wondering the same sort of thing (but not able to put the numbers as succinctly as you).
    But I thought perhaps they would trade Jackson for Nelson (increase $500k), then trade Lamb into one of Denver's TEs (drop $2.2m) and waive Jerrett (non-guaranteed). That would drop them under the tax-line, bring back some draft considerations, and leave them with a veteran as backup PG (although not convinced it makes them any better now - it might secure them back their own first round pick and possible a couple of 2nds (LAX and GSW?)

I admit to knowing nothing about Jerrett (they paid Portland for the pick, and signed him to a multi-year non-guaranteed deal), so if they are high on him they might wish to pursue other avenues of offloading the final $500k-ish of salary?

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

LOL contenting for what ?

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the Most Point Guards On One Roster Award.

the coveted MPGOORA. :eek:

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure. I'd assume from the outside looking in maybe they thought they could flip him at the deadline for a 2nd rounder to a team that needs a PG at the last minute. Might also think he's a good backup for next year if he picks up his option. The fact that they might be ok with locking up a good solid veteran backup for next year already if he picks up his option kind of tells you where they are.

I think more than anything they just wanted Robinson out. They were probably scared of what would happen later on in the season, and wanted to get more touches to the guys who mattered more moving forward.

Reg the Nuggets, I think they are perfectly capable of having a turnaround season quickly with some nice pickups either in free agency or through the draft, better health, better continuity, and probably either a new coach, or better system. You move Gallo, and McGee if you can, but look those guys are perfectly capable of having a bounce back year as well. If I don't move them its not the end of the world. Afflalo & Chandler I know I can get at least 2 1st rounders for both guys, and they will probably test free agency. I need to get some more young talent & picks so I look to move them first as people come calling. The Nuggets have too much talent to go the tanking route.

Look at the Hawks for reference. They could have very well have went with the tanking philosophy (like we all were hoping for to steal their players), but a new coach a few additions/subtractions here and there, and next thing you know they are a pretty damn good team.

So if I'm running the Nuggets, yes, I'm looking to move around some pieces here and there to sort of clean up my roster to retool next year, but my core is Lawson, Nurkic, and Faried. Then I want to see how I do in the draft this Summer, get something out of Gary Harris, and then add back in some pieces through free agency next year. Maybe Tobias Harris, Draymond Green, Wes Matthews, or Kawhi Leonard are players they might target, or someone like that.

#73 dobro1229, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Hrm...

As a starter (50 games), he is 15.7ppg, 4.1rpg and 5.8apg (42/30/84 percentages).

I'd say that's about 'average' for a starting PG. But you're right, he will want to get paid like a star. I'm always cautious of guys who can't shoot. I don't see there being a huge market for a non-3pt shooting guard in the NBA.... something in the $5mill range, whereas he will be looking $10m+

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

This is a terrible article from an uncredited source.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't do D-Mo straight up for Reggie Jackson. And what's more, I wouldn't even particularly want Reggie Jackson on this team. He isn't a good three point shooter and his defense isn't as good as Bev's so what good would he be?

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wtf, have you seen RJ play?

He is awful.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Opening up a 3-way deal, with Dragic and Lawson...and the Rox???

Nugs' problem is the Los Angeles er St. Louis Rams...

19. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

Bev > Reggie. 1) Better contract 2)Beverley can shoot and doesn't constantly take crappy shots and 3) can play defense.

Jackson is one of the worse defenders in the league... I'm not sure there is a single player in the NBA Reggie can stay in front of.

Also Reggie has been the NINTH man in the Thunder rotation since OKC got Waiters.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FWIW, all contracts become fully guaranteed for the season on January 10. Also, Jerrett's deal is fully guaranteed this year (anyway) AND next year.

Hence, I'm guessing OKC's preference would be to trade him rather than waive him, even if it meant having to pay a team to take him.