1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

okay let's figure out the rockets cap burden for once and for all...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, May 31, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I just read in a separate thread aelliott referring to the "13" million that the Rockets should have in cap space. Assuming draft picks, etc. aelliott might be right, but let's play the game...

Let's assume the following:

a) Shandon has a p-opt.
    b) Carlos Rogers has a t-opt.
    c) Moochie is a FA.
    d) Dan Langhi is a t-opt player.
    e) The Rockets have the #13 and #22 picks in the draft.
    f) Bullard is a FA.
    g) Dream is a FA.
    h) Mo Taylor is a FA.

What then are the actual salary obligations for the Rockets?

We know the following:
    1) Shandon will exercise his p-opt.
    2) Clutch relayed that 'Los won't be back.
    3) Moochie's salary burden against the cap is trivial, and the Rockets want to keep Moochie.
    4) Langhi's t-opt is trivial (500K) and it's likely the Rockets will pick his option up.
    5) We can kind of skim over Bullard, not b/c of a lack of respect, but instead the respect that he's a team-player and likely to help the Rockets out w/ minimum contracts, etc.
    6) Dream and Mo Taylor are the $$$ FAs for the Rockets and the reason why I'm making this table to begin with. The players are either here or they're not... they'll either be renounced or they will not be. They don't adversely affect the cap at all.

So what then are the obligations for the current contracts?

<table bgcolor="#003366" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="500"><tr height="20"><td align="center"><font color="#ffffff" face="verdana" size="-1">Current Contracts</font></td><td align="center"><font color="#ffffff" face="verdana" size="-1">Salary</font></td><td align="center"><font color="#ffffff" face="verdana" size="-1">Total Cap Burden</font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Kelly Cato</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">6,000,000 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Jason Collier</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">1,280,067 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Steve Francis</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">3,473,520 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Cuttino Mobley</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">4,412,880 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Kenny Thomas</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">946,920 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Walt Williams</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">5,000,000 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Matt Maloney</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">2,543,750 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr height="20"><td align="center"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#ffffff">More than likely returning</font></td><td></td><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#000000">$23,657,137 </font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Langhi Option</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">465,850 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Moochie's unrenounced hit</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">1,047,000 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr height="20"><td align="center"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#ffffff">Draft picks</font></td><td></td><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#000000">$25,169,987 </font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> #13 pick</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">1,379,400 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> #22 pick</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">901,800 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#003366" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"></font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana"></font></td><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="verdana" size="-1" color="#000000">$27,451,187 </font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#003366" height="20"><td align="right" colspan="2"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#ffffff">Projected Cap (assuming $43M total)  </font></td><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="verdana" size="-1" color="#000000">~$16,000,000 </font></td></tr></table>

This is enlightening. W/O ever touching Cato or Walt's contracts in trades, or w/o trading draft picks for futures, the team should still have $16,000,000.00 in cap space (unless I have a heavy finger somewhere).

Awesome. It's still plausible that Shandon could get early-bird cash and CWebb maxed out, or Dream could get an exception sized payout and still bring Webb on board.

Should be a fun summer.

------------------
    You're a fine woman, why don't you mock that draft up

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited May 31, 2001).]

2. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

I believe the Matt Maloney obligation is finished this summer, and therefore not a consideration for your purposes.

------------------

3. Achebe

All the better oeilpere! The only available information that I have (short of digging up a davo signature [​IMG]) is from realgm that has him on the books for several more years.

But if what you say is true... mmmmmm.... hmmmm... moooooOOOOney. [​IMG]

I'll try to find other coooooorrrbor, however you spell that word... I'll try to research Matt Maloney a bit more.

------------------

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Is that right, Father I? I would be excited if the Rockets were able to cut their obligation to Maloney just because of the buy out. I didn't think that affected the cap.

The chart looks great, HEB. It shows the cap freedom a team gets when its stars are so young and underpaid! Let's hope the Rockets spend the money wisely.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I figured this up a while back with Davo's stats and got very similar numbers. When emailing Davo, he was unsure about the Rogers team option, but agreed with the numbers.

I think aelliot was refering to the cap space needed for Webber.

If the rockets could get rid of Walt, you're talking Webber and Olajuwon type money.

------------------

6. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, but IF you have 16 million, and then you add Webber in there at 12 mil, what you have left is 4 million to sign 1 more player that you can fit on your roster.

C -- Cato/Collier
    PF -- Webber/KT
    SF -- Williams/Langhi
    SG -- Mobley
    PG -- Francis/Norris
    Picks #13 & 22
    1 FA

Will that last free agent be Bullard? It looks like barring all trades, we'll have 3 million left in cap space with a full roster if we sign Bullard. So then it's time to talk trades to improve the team. And it also looks like the Rockets should be interested in drafting a shooting guard since Mobley is the only one signed so far.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

[This message has been edited by Toast (edited May 31, 2001).]

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maloney is on the books unless there was a buyout of some sorts. Was Maloney waived under the old CBA? Buyouts are usually spread over the life of the contract.

HEB-Your Mooch number is wrong. He made $523,500 last year, which according to the FAQ is the minimum for a 3 year vet last year. As an Early Bird candidate, he counts for 130% unrenounced. 130% of $523,500 is $680,550.

For future reference, Shandon counts as 2.86 million unrenounced.

Also, your draft pick numbers are high. Check this page- <a href=http://www.members.home.net/lmcoon/scale.htm>Draft Pick Salaries</a>. Going to the 01-02 rookie scale, the #13 will be 1,149,500, and #22 will be $751,500. #18 counts at $889,500. The salary can be between 80% and 120% of those numbers.

From #37
    Unsigned first round picks count as team salary (against the cap) according to the minimum salary for that pick, unless there is a verbal agreement for a higher salary.
    So, as long as our picks keep their mouths shut, they count at 80% of the above numbers-
    #13: $919,600
    #22: $601,200
    #18: $711,600

Think of that like LBR. We can fool with the rest of our offseason, cap out, then sign the guys to nice contracts.

I agree that Bullard isn't an issue. Once we cap out, we can sign him to his veteran's minimum, for 1 mill. Basically, we're looking at going into the draft/offseason at:

Cato/Collier
    Thomas
    Walt/Langhi
    Mobley
    Francis/Moochie

Hmm, to add J. Johnson/Gasol/Jefferson (#13), Ken Johnson (#22), CWebb, Bullard and Olajuwon to that picture....

The more money, the merrier. [​IMG]

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited May 31, 2001).]

8. Achebe

thanks nike, I like erring on the high side... it makes it so much funner to find out you have more cap space.

as far as shandon goes... I'm only concerned about the definites and the salary relation to Webber. If the Rockets definitely want Shandon, I'll update the chart.

I'll make the other changes after a coffee trip/break. [​IMG]

------------------

9. Toast

Toast Member

Perhaps instead of signing Bullard as a free agent, we could use that ROUGHLY 4 million to try to keep Dream or Mo. Or perhaps it could go to someone like Horry?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

10. MManal

MManal Member

Bottom line, this team can clear in the range of 16-17 mil under the cap. Accoring to my calculations, if you slot 12.6 mil for C-Webb (which is his max according to my understanding) and factor in picks 13 and 22, there is approximately 3 mil left over to use for other purposes. Pick 18 would eat up some of this amount if indeed this team gets/keeps it, and trading away pick 22 would create more room.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

11. today

today Contributing Member

Great post achebe. Very helpful to look at when going over posibilities. Man, IF we can dump cato or Walt, land Webber and resign Hakeem or land a decent center (N. Mohammad or M. Jackson), we might be looking at 2 or 3 deep into the playoffs next year. That would be exciting.

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight."
    -- Barkley on Minnesota's Chris Carr(thx RocksMillenium)after he missed a game winning free-throw.

12. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Achebe,
    Same request, just moving the thread to the top of the list....

Thanks.

ROCKET!!!

------------------

13. Achebe

Well at least you're persistent. [​IMG]

<table bgcolor="#003366" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="500"><tr height="20"><td align="center"><font color="#ffffff" face="verdana" size="-1">Current Contracts</font></td><td align="center"><font color="#ffffff" face="verdana" size="-1">Salary</font></td><td align="center"><font color="#ffffff" face="verdana" size="-1">Total Cap Burden</font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Kelly Cato</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">6,000,000 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Jason Collier</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">1,280,067 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Steve Francis</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">3,473,520 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Cuttino Mobley</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">4,412,880 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Kenny Thomas</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">946,920 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Walt Williams</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">5,000,000 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Matt Maloney</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">2,543,750 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr height="20"><td align="center"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#ffffff">More than likely returning</font></td><td></td><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#000000">$23,657,137 </font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Langhi Option</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">465,850 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> Moochie's unrenounced hit</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">680,550 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr height="20"><td align="center"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#ffffff">Draft picks</font></td><td></td><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#000000">$24,803,537 </font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> #13 pick</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">919,600 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> #18 pick</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">711,600 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"> #22 pick</font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana">601,200 </font></td><td bgcolor="#003366"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#003366" height="20"><td align="left"><font size="-1" face="verdana"></font></td><td align="right"><font size="-1" face="verdana"></font></td><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="verdana" size="-1" color="#000000">$27,035,937 </font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#003366" height="20"><td align="right" colspan="2"><font size="-1" face="verdana" color="#ffffff">Projected Cap (assuming $43M total)  </font></td><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="verdana" size="-1" color="#000000">~$16,000,000 </font></td></tr></table>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited June 05, 2001).]

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

How bad would it be Locker-room morale and harmony when the potential for this season is that Kelly Cato could be the highest money earner. That is SHOCKING!!

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

15. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Achebe,
    Its all good.

Now if we only supplant Cato's and Williams' salaries with Webber's for $12.6 mil.

Oh well, its good to have a dream, but that doesn't even appear to be the case anymore!

ROCKET!!!

------------------

16. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

SmeggySmeg,
    Haven't you heard.....
    Cato is the second coming of Hock'em A-Large-One!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!

ROCKET!!!

Oh well, I guess $6,000,000 per is the going rate for lazy slugs these days!

------------------

17. Band Geek Mobster

A little correction to that statement. Cato's not going to make just 6 million per, his contract gets larger each year.

It increase $600,000 each season all the way up 8.4 million in the final year (2006) of his contract.

Much like a fine wine, Kelvin Cato's contract will get better with age.

You also gotta love that 3 of our top 5 current contracts belong to Kelvin Cato, Walt Williams, and Matt Maloney.

[​IMG]

PS- Realgm is where I was just at to find these salaries...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited June 05, 2001).]

18. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Achebe,
    Do you know a site that lists all players salaries?

Thx.
    ROCKET!!!

------------------

19. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Band Geek,
    Yea< I know, but I was going with what is just on the board for this year.

Something close to the term of.....
    Man, this bites!!!!

ROCKET!!!

------------------

20. Achebe

bgm, unless I'm reading the wrong column, Cato makes $6M this year.

------------------