1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OJ Mayo....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 713, Apr 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I wouldn't blame his struggles on Hollins. He's an afterthought in the offense, but so are their other role players and he struggles more than anyone to fit in. He certainly gets the ball more than Tony Allen, who makes the most of his limited scoring opportunities. Mayo might be able to make plays, but certainly not consistently enough to warrant taking touches away from Gay, Conley, Randolph, or Gasol.

2. 713

713 Member

The question is, is he an upgrade to what we currently have on the roster?

3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

It's a chicken/egg argument. Yes, he hasn't flourished in the role he's been given, but what did he ever do to warrant such a role? He only averaged 18 ppg on 45/38 in his first two seasons - great by any account.

Then Hollins decided to bench him, and 2 years later it's still apparent that he's not a natural bench player (not everyone is a Terry or a Harden). He's put up good "production" from the bench, but not consistently or efficiently, which is partly his fault and partly the result of his inconsistent touches and role.

I watch Memphis more than any team not named the Rockets. Mayo needs a change of scenery as bad as anyone. The talent is still there, he just needs the opportunity and a coach that believes in him. He's naturally a very confident player (almost to a fault at times), but when you're constantly looking over your shoulder after every miss to see if you're getting pulled, it can really affect you.

4. 713

713 Member

See I'd rather the FO not go after Gordon..after years of dealing with injury prone players in Tracy & Yao..I dont wanna risk the amount of money that is going to be needed to get a guy like him with his injury history.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If we do go after him, how much do you think he will warrant? MLE?

6. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I'd much rather concentrate on getting a 5 that can protect that before we even think about upgrading anywhere else. Even if Camby is back next year, his body will not hold up the entire season playing starters minutes.

Doesn't have to be a superstar, just get some toughness and defense in there. Okafor, Kaman, even Kwame f'ing Brown, just no more Pat/Scola please.

7. 713

713 Member

I think Omer Asik will be a realistic option this off season.

8. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yeah, I like it.

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He does not have allstar potential but he may fit better than Kevin Martin or Lee. Score more than Lee and play better defense than Kevin Martin.

10. what

what Member

The grizzlies really can't match any offer. The grizzlies are cashed strapped and would need to backload a contract to get even close to what other teams might offer oj. Anything over 7 million for the first year of a new contract and we'd be forced to let him walk.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I would really like OJ Mayo instead of Courtney Lee. Thats me without my homer glasses on. I just think OJ Mayo has been on better teams and been a bigger part to those winning teams. His money that would be similar to the same money spent on Courtney Lee would be more justified. He is a way to both replace Kevin Martin and upgrade from Courtney Lee at the same time with more upside.

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Who would you have rather have on the court parsons and mayo or parsons and lee

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Mayo is kind of a Ben Gordon type to me. His offense covers up his other weak areas. Depends on team and fit.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I'll say we get a Shooting Guard in the Draft and 1st round this time.....
    The last one was JTaylor in the draft as far as I can remember...and he was a 2nd rounder

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

mayo is better than martin. at least he can get to the rim.

16. 713

713 Member

Mayo is a free agent, and the Grizzlies have little chance of re-signing him

via My Sources

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, if a guy has star potential on draft day, then he must always have it in his career. Just like when you have a 6-9 PF without otherwordly athleticism and project to be just a solid NBA player on draft day, you know he can't possibly turn into one of the best PFs in the game.

I don't care what Mayo's potential was on draft day. Because he certainly has not really developed his game since then.