1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[OHMSS] Euro vs NBA : Who's Better?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by OHMSS, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

How about all the Euroleague prospects that get passed over? or become irrelevant within their first few seasons?

2. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Yes but these players also fail in the NBA, they don't go on to lead the league. What they do is go back to Europe and play. The American players that fail in the NBA go on to lead the Euroleague.

Look at the Euroleague leaders again and tell me I'm wrong.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/stati...asoncode=E2011

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

OHMS = measure of resistance
    and
    resistance is futile

therefore

OHMSS is plural futile

1 person likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

You are not wrong. The NBA pays far more than any other league, and a huge % of the best foreign players end up playing in the NBA.

It is just a fact.

5. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

It's a fact that the American coach that hosts his Italian-NBA camp every summer said that outside of the best players and about 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of the second best players on NBA teams, the rest of the NBA players are no better than Italian League players. And the Italian League is a fairly average level European league, and is certainly way worse than the Euroleague is.

Plenty of Italian League players, even good ones, are not Euroleague material.

It is just a fact.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

An American coach that likes to boost his teams (and his own) confidence, or reality?

How has Deron been doing? :grin:

7. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

So now one man's delusional opinion is passed as fact? Bad attempt to prove a point once again.

8. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

lol...it's funny how his whole Deron Williams campaign seemed to shut down after the double-double.

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

i

i

"I will always know that even at my lowest points of high dorkendom, I will never be so bad as the B-Bob(.) "

indeed, sir, indeed. :p

(As for euroleague vs NBA, the fact that KIRILENKO of all people scored 37 points tells me about as much as I need to know about the level of play.)

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

You read the boxscore wrong. Kirilenko had 17 points. 37 is his 'Ranking', which is (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BL + RF) – ((FGA – FGM) + (FTA – FTM) + TOV + BA + PF).

Also, not only is it only one game, but Ty Lawson only scored 7 points in the same game, with a Ranking of 4, so your point is moot. :)

Still, I don't get why people continue to even have this conversation. Let it go.
    Most of what OHMSS says has usually at least some truth to it. Of course there's always that little extra in there, too, which you should simply ignore. It's really not that hard.

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

that ranking system is intense, I'll give the Euroleague that.

12. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

That was against a very weak Turkish League club. Games like that should not even be considered as an example, one way or another, good or bad.

No one in Europe would even care one iota about that game.

13. anchel

anchel Member

Offtopic:

Talking about different things, could this be the last year of Freeland in Europe? I think he will have a great season, he looks very good, seems very comfortable with his role/coach and confident.

- Lawson having serious problems in Kaunas. Weems doing it better -in the same team-.

BTW, the city of Alicante is right now completely in love with Kyle Singler. Reggie Williams is doing better lately in Vitoria. From the same team, I have to say that personally I don't like Seraphin at all. Teletovic showing an important improvement at the back to the basket game (another player with NBA potential). Dorsey is right now injured.

Rudy playing very well in Madrid. As well as Mirotic. Llull is right now the most valued PG in the league (I mean, wat you call efficiency in the NBA). Real Madrid signed also Serge Ibaka, completing a very good team (better than last year's team). We'll see what happens if finally we have NBA season and Rudy+Ibaka have to leave the team. Rudy would try to stay at all costs.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Thats a rewarding reality for a lot of NBA rejects these days. Leagues and Teams across Europe are becoming more competitive by the day and the level of skill and style is improving by the day too. Not to mention good salaries.

In the next 5-10 years maybe they will start a Champions League/Euro League like competition in South America. I think Argentia, Brazil and Puerto Rico have decent domestic leagues otherwise they wouls have the international success they do. We know they they can produce damn good players.. They have a nice population/market to sell the product to as well.

In the next 10-20 years I hope a similar trend starts to emerge in Asia. Basketball will start to grow and the level of play and competition starts to grow with it. I would love to see a Super Asia-Pacific league too where the best teams from the likes of China, Japan, Korea, India and Australia compete.

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

They have had both a South American League and a Latin American League (all countries in Americas region except USA/Canada) for many years in basketball.

These leagues have already long been in existence.

16. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Also, I forgot to mention, that there has also been an Asian-wide league competition already for quite some time. So, all the leagues you suggest for the future in 5-10 years - already exist.

17. Rdp49

Rdp49 Member

Sporting, France isn't so misplaced it, before there are Spain, Italy, Russia and Turkey, Greece regresses because of financial problems, it will pass soon after France with only one club above the rest (Panathinaikos), Olympiakos loses its status and the rest is below the top French teams
    Germany and France are about the same level

Financially, France has very good reputation: Never pay late, never French clubs cut players because of financial problems, it often happens in Greece, Russia, Turkey, Eastern Europe
    League with modest salaries but always paid on time, Top salaries : 350 000 $

18. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

The worst clubs in Greece are as good or better than 90% of the clubs in France. And not one French club could beat Olympiacos. Even Greek clubs like Aris and PAOK would most likely win the French League in most years. Also add United League and Adriatic League as leagues in Europe that are better than French League.

And the German League is not in the same level as the French League. It is better than the French League also. Of course, Euroleague and Eurocup are also better than the French League.

1. Euroleague
    2. Spanish League
    3. United League
    4. Greek League
    5. Italian League
    6. Eurocup
    7. Adriatic League
    8. Russian League
    9. Turkish League
    10. German League
    11. French League

I would put the French League around number 11 in Europe.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A good friend of mine played overseas in France and in a Latin American league. He has tons of stories about the large amounts of money he was supposed to be paid in the Latin leagues and when the teams lost games, or attendance was down, the paychecks stopped coming, etc. He said that most of the teams down there are run by drug cartels and there is a "mob-like" mentality amongst the owners. However, this is just the opinion of one player who played down there.

He talks all the time about the French team he played for, and how much fun it was, but he did have issues getting paid there as well. I dont think the mob like owners were as big of an issue over there though. He said it was much better, but much more competitive of course.

I think what Dreamin is referring to in the 5-10 year statement is that in time those leagues will become better options for quality basketball players, with good teams that pay their players, and are treated like a professional. Not necessarily the quality of basketball, but the business/financial side will improve.

However, Im sure the more upscale teams in Greece and Spain have no issues whatsoever, but from what Ive heard, teams in Latin America and some in Europe still have bad reputations for player treatment and pay.

20. Rdp49

Rdp49 Member

I have not the same ranking

Greece ... today is a dominant team (pana), a team in regression (Olympiakos) serious financial problems, most of their top players are gone (bourousis, Papaloukas, teodosic ...) they were dominated in Bilbao, it isn't the same team.
    2-3 very good teams who play the top four French, behind ...
    the championship is the most heterogeneous that can be, in previous years, Panathinaikos and Olympiakos put 20 pts to their competitors in the semi final play offs

The French league is known for its homogeneity, the latter can beat the first, the 10th French is much stronger than the 10th Greek

On a general level, Germany and France there is little difference, the résulatts in the different European Cup proves

Keyhoops.com look at the rankings, it is much more realistic, Greece 4th, it's a joke that makes me laugh a lot

Obviously, the Euroleague and the Eurocup are before, but I do not expect, I was talking to a ranking of nations