1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh, Zo - be well, be here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Aug 10, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'd love having Zo, even for just '15 minutes per game'.

Mourning not closing door on NBA return
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © August 10, 2004

Michael Jordan had his tenth-of-a-percent. Alonzo Mourning has his “miracle” — the only circumstance, he says, that would allow him to entertain a return to the NBA.

His miracle “is my doctor giving me his blessing to consider playing again,” says Mourning, eight months removed from receiving a kidney from his second cousin.

The magic words, the seven-time all-star center from Chesapeake admits, could entice him — maybe, possibly — to “explore the option.” But only with a team certain to contend for the championship he hasn’t won.

“I had a Hall of Fame impact on the game, there’s no questioning that at all,” says Mourning, from Indian River High School. “I played the game as hard as I could. It’s not urgent for me to get back out there and do anything.”

Lately, though, the buzz is that Mourning, 34, twice the NBA’s defensive player of the year, wants back in. Not necessarily with his last team, the New Jersey Nets. They’re dumping salary and reportedly plan to erase his after this season.

"They’ve already said they don’t want me back,” says Mourning, who joined the Nets last year from the Miami Heat for four seasons at about $5.5 million per, guaranteed.

Weakened from a three-year battle with kidney disease — focal segmental glomerulosclerosis — and anemia, Mourning played in a dozen games before he could play no more.

He had his transplant Dec. 19. Eight months later, Mourning runs. He lifts weights. He plays pickup basketball — and a little softball and golf for charity, as he did locally the past few days.

He knows, though, the danger that lies within his still-chiseled body.

“There’s a 30 percent chance for anyone with a transplant of rejection, for the rest of your life,” Mourning says. “The only thing I’m thinking about now is making sure my body keeps this new organ. That’s the most important thing.”

The most important, that is, from a list of important projects longer than Mourning’s arm.

For several years, Mourning has been a fund-raising machine for the causes that move him most, particularly abandoned children and disadvantaged adults.

Zo’s Summer Groove, the weekend parties Mourning annually hosts here and in Miami, have raised awareness — and of dollars — to support a roster of community assets.

Boys and Girls Clubs. The Chesapeake Care free clinic. The 20,000-square-foot youth center Mourning built and funds in Miami’s depressed Overtown section. Kidney research. Organ and tissue donation.

On and on it goes, like the autograph line at Harbor Park following Mourning’s celebrity softball game Sunday.

“That’s why I’m content if I have to stop playing, because of the time I’ll be able to spend with my organization,” Mourning says between the “You’re welcomes” and “How ya doin’s?” he offers to his fans.

“What I’ve done on the court is no comparison to the impact I’ve had on people’s lives through my foundation off the court.”

Mourning, married with two children, has homes in Miami and Washington, D.C., and casually notes he’ll probably sell his place in New Jersey soon.

Mourning, a former foster child, promises a generous portion of his heart will remain here, because so many who helped him grow remain here as well.

“I’m in a position to do some positive things and change the lives of some other young people,” Mourning says. “It’s important for me to come back and do this.”

To come back and play basketball is something else altogether, though Mourning acknowledges the frustrations of his forced exit. He meticulously conditioned himself, he says, to play until he was 40.

Jordan did it. A mentor, Robert Parish, did it. Mourning done at 34 doesn’t compute.

“Every athlete has a clock on their career,” Mourning says. “Unfortunately, mine had to stop a little bit sooner than I expected.

“When I was first diagnosed almost four years ago, they said, 'We expect you to have a transplant within nine to 12 months.’ Because I kept myself in great condition, I was able to go over three years before I needed it. …

“Now, I’ve got to look forward to living another 40, 50 years.”

And giving so many others miracles of their own.

Reach Tom Robinson at 446-2518 or at tom.robinson@pilotonline.com

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow. Great article.

I wonder who will pick him up. NJ gave him the $ and the shot, but didn't pull through.

3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love to have him to help tutor Yao in the Georgetown trifecta. He could also dish out a mean elbow or two. He could also grab a rebound when Taylor can't.

On a fair contract, with an injury out, sure, that's a guy that could help.
    He could have fun with his pals here, coaching, too.

However, I'd think he'll prefer to go back to Miami and ride the bench behind Shaq. I think that's what he means when he mentions a team that can win a championship. Riles would pick him up again.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there Zo

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Ewing, Deke and Zo? What is this? a Georgetown reunion?

Too risky in my book, but I wish him well. He deserves to go out on a good note. I hope for a miracle and maybe that mircale will be with us but very scary indeed.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Are you kidding?? He was easily on path to make it to the Hall.

Even with his last 3 years of attempting to play, his career averages are still about 20 points and 10 boards a game, while being one of the best defenders in the game during his time.

Just for reference, Ewing is at 21 ppg and 10 rpg.

#6 rezdawg, Aug 10, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  7. haven

haven Member

I know this may sound crazy, but I think Ewing is definitely a hall of famer... but at the low end. To me, a hall of famer should be either the best, or arguably the best, at his position for an extended period of time.

Ewing was never #1. Hakeem was better for pretty much the entirety of Ewing's career. Beginning in the early-middle part, Robinson entered the league and was better. Towards the end, but while Ewing was still in his prime, Shaq was a better center.

So, essentially, during part of his prime... Ewing was, at best, the 4th best center in the league. Such is just not the stuff of first-rate hall of famers.

Ewing played during an era of excellent centers, but I still think he's highly overrated.

8. MONON

MONON Member

Zo would be a good backup 5/4.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Haven, I agree with you. And your concept of hall of famer is basically the concept that the MLB has in place. However, with basketball and football, this is not the case. It is much easier to make it into the hall of fame for these 2 sports. With that, I think Zo was easily on pace to make it to the Hall. No question.

10. drpepper

drpepper Member

yea, and JVG is gonna hump his leg again!!

not likely. it's in his BEST interest he stay retired.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Zo's a great guy, but his contract is too big to swallow, especially with his condition. If he goes down, we are left with nobody to back up Yao.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Mo for Zo + Williams?

13. bongman

bongman Member

If we sign Zo, we would have had a monopoly on all the best big man that Georgetown had to offer....

Ewing, Mutombo, Zo and Othella. Strange coinkidinc. :)

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would do that deal. But NJ doesn't want any bad contracts and Williams has played very well for them, I don't think they would do it.

15. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Anybody have a pic of him lately? Wanted to see if he still is big or if he lost lots of mass..

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

still missing that immortal, Jahidi White.

17. Sane

Sane Member

Da-Glyde,

Don't have a pic, but sounds like he's still in shape. It also says he's been lifting weights regularly.

18. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

^thanks, I am still lookin will post if I find one..

19. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

According to that logic Drexler doesn't belong either.

20. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

I think the missing piece is Ruben Boumtje Boumtje. But then he would be wearing #44, which will make all the Terence Morris-only fans upset (although it legitimately could be retired for Elvin Hayes). ;)