1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason trade targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Good point; I was looking at the raw numbers. Didn't realize he had missed significant time in '12.

2. Txst

Txst Member

Carlos Gonzalez

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

"A's value their prospects" & "sign Sandoval to a long term contract"... loooooolooool, someone is new to baseball! think before you speak please.

4. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

I wouldn't mind this and sticking him in left but he has been injury prone. The Rockies also keep saying they won't trade him.

5. Txst

Txst Member

We need an OF that can bat 3rd or 4th in our line-up. The only 2 that fit that bill and are potentially available are Kemp, Gonzalez, and Stanton. Stanton want's to be a yankee and won't re-sign here after the year. I prefer Gonzalez mainly due to his defense and shorter contract. Additionally the list of impact free agent outfielders over the next few years is really weak and the chances of convincing them to come to Houston are small. Now is the time to make a move.

Potential Line-Up

R-2B Altuve .330 / 10 / 55
    S-LF Fowler .280 / 15 / 20
    R-CF Springer .270 / 40 / 20
    L-RF Gonzalez .300 / 30 / 20
    R-DH Carter .240 / 40 / 0

L-1B Singleton .240 / 30 / 5
    R-3B Dominguez/Moran/FA .250 / 20 / 5
    L-C Castro .250 / 15 / 5
    S-SS Villar/Fontana/Gonzalez/FA .250 / 5 / 10

Orange - know what you are going to get
    Blue - wildcards

6. Major

Major Member

I love CarGo but he hasn't hit 30 HRs since 2010, in large part because he can't stay healthy. And he has some pretty excessive Home/Road splits over his entire career (0.750 OPS on the road vs 0.988 at home), though Fowler did as well and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I'd prefer Donaldson simply because reliable 3B's are harder to find than LF's and he seems more in the upswing/peak of his career than an injury-riddled CarGo, but either would be a huge acquisition (and CarGo would be cheaper in terms of trade cost).

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

A's don't trade a cost controlled slugging 3B for anything but a massive return.

No way Luhnow makes that kind of trade within the division.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree if he gets a 5 year $100M offer I want no part of that either. I'm just not sure he is gonna get that type of offer. Of the big money spending teams who is gonna be looking to add that type of contract at 3B? Not the Dodgers, if the Red Sox add big it's likely to be SP. If we could get him around 4 years 65M then i'd be in.

In the end, like I said before, I don't think there is even a remote chance that we deal for Donaldson or sign a long term 3B. I would just rather go after a guy like Sandoval than move the top puppies we have.

If we could get Aramis on a short term deal then i'd be happy with that. Most likely senario is you last one though, Dominguez starts the year at 3B and they hope that Moran comes quickly.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Cargo:

29 in two weeks, way overpaid.

fits the bills.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not like he hasn't made a trade with the A's already.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hence why i said "not that kind of trade".

12. awc713

awc713 Member

i think donaldson could really do some damage at MMP, but him being a .250 hitter kind of worries me. he's not THAT big of a contact guy, so is he really that big of an upgrade over dominguez (who i really dislike)

Donaldson finished with a .250 avg/ 29 hr/ 98 rbi/ .342 OBP...maybe those are low (for donaldson) because of OAK's park...but are those #s really THAT impressive? I'm not much of an analytics head... but i'd deal 3-4 prospects for him, just so we can get some excitement brewing again.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

#3 in overall bWAR in all of baseball, yes yes he is that impressive. #9 best offensive bWAR in the AL.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

you realize the A's will want the house for donaldson, right?

big price to pay to "get some excitement brewing again"

15. awc713

awc713 Member

I know. I think we have the depth to pull off an all-star caliber trade though.

I would be hesitant to give up Appel. Correa is out of the question. But I really think we have the depth to let some of these other guys go in a trade.

Realistically, we'd have to part with, like: Rio or Moran, Hader, Velazquez and Santana. Maybe more. I do think we have the depth to do it, and I think we NEED to trade for a star...whether that star is Donaldson is another question.

I would really like to see us go after Cueto...Reds need a major revamping of their farm system, and Olney suggested they move Cueto for it.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Hows bWAR different than WAR? Where did Altuve's season rank?

I saw a crazy analytic stat (not sure how it was measured...) that Miggy's triple crown season last year had a dollar worth of like $49, and Altuve's season this year was worth like $58

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Prior to your "aging veteran" post, Carlos Gonzalez was mentioned twice and it was by the same guy.

Whether or not Gonzales is a reasonable target is up for debate but generally, late 20s to early 30s are considered prime years.

So, does that mean you would ignore every guy 28 and older?

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i would ignore players who are:

1) close to 30 in age
    2) overpaid
    3) injury prone
    4) drastic colorado vs road splits

it makes no sense to go into "win now" mode. lets trust the system, and be patient.

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

so you don't want to trade appel or correa, but you want oakland's top organizational bat who is mlb proven & cost controlled?

keep dreaming :)

20. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Not even sure what to make of the drastic Colorado vs road splits? Many of the stud Colorado hitters go on to be successful elsewhere.

Holliday-131 ops plus in COL, 120 ops plus in OAK, 143 ops plus in STL

Fowler-101 ops plus in COL, 119 ops plus in HOU

Walker-147 ops plus in COL, 134 ops plus in STL

Galarraga- 126 ops plus in COL, 121 ops plus in SF, 141 ops plus in ATL

Burks- 128 ops plus in COL, 151 ops plus in SF, 133 ops plus in CLE