1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason trade targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Sep 18, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ok you don't think Donaldson is worth a top 10 prospect. He had the 3rd highest OPS among 3rd baseman this year, and the highest last year. Plus is the best defensively. He is easily the best 3rd baseman in baseball and under team control. Those players don't shake lose often, so when they do you pounce.

You are obviously delusional to not only Donaldson's value, but a prospects worth in general. I agree on Correa, and Springer isn't a prospect. But you can guarantee it will require at least 3 top 10 prospects to get a player of his caliber. If the Astros chase a big fish on the trade market it will require multiple top 10 guys.

2. Major

Major Member

Fair enough - I think, in my mind, it's mostly because Altuve and Carter have both had extended struggles in the majors before this year. Springer had a higher minor league pedigree and lived up to it from the start. But yes, all of them have a bit to prove still.

3. Major

Major Member

Totally agree with this. I'm not remotely convinced Donaldson is actually on the trade market, but if he is obtainable, he is the absolute perfect player for the Astros to pursue at a position of need. No non-Correa prospect should be off limits.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm going to circle back - I initially said I wish he was the 3B Cosart fetched us - so, yes - I'd give up a top 10 prospect; probably 2 if the other one was lower level. But multiple top prospects? Not me; nope.

4th (Beltre, Harrison and Rendon were all ahead of him). And he was closer to 7th than 3rd, FYI.

Nope. Cabrera was better.

I wouldn't argue he's the best but I've never said, "don't pounce."

You're entitled to your opinion (and to, ahem, inflate his statistical rankings) - but it's obviously not an opinion the A's would share with you if they deal him...

(And I've repeatedly said he's a tremendously valuable player; we just disagree on how valuable.)

Springer's prospect status is irrelevant. He's 4 years younger and under longer team-control. The A's would absolutely jump at the chance to have him be part of the deal.

And yes - the A's will want multiple top prospetcs; of course they will. It'd be foolish to trade him otherwise. I'm just suggesting that price is too steep (for me).

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He led all major league 3B in OPS in 2013. He was 4th in 2014.

He's not probably the 4th or 5th best 3B in baseball.

He is probably the best overall 3B (It would be between him and Beltre), and top 3 offensively.

#85 juicystream, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  6. juicystream

Good thing he is a 1B now

7. Hey Now!

Nope. Cabrera. Come on, guys - he won a freaking MVP, forheavenssake...

I don't disagree; the conversation had specifically veered toward hitting when I said 4th or 5th.

Having said that, would you trade Rendon for him? Seager? Harrison? Again, I think he's a very good 3b; I would absolutely, positively pursue him - I agree 100% with Major's assertion that he's the exact type of player you should be looking for.

I'll be honest: I don't know a lot about him. My big concern is age - he's not young (28) and he wasn't full-time until he was 27. He's (likely) a player that has peaked - again, that's *precisely* why the A's would entertain dealing him - they recognize that he's reached his ceiling.

My only hold-up is paying too steep a price. I just don't think he's worth "multiple top prospects."

8. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

At this rate, I wouldn't mind targeting Geoff Blum for third base. Better hair. Probably a better bat.

9. Hey Now!

He played 145 games at 3B in 2013, juicystream, totaling 646 PAs. If you and seaclubber are going to float statistical rankings, you should strive for greater accuracy. Donaldson did *not* lead all 3B in OPS in 2013. In fact, he trailed by a significant margin (as did every other 3B).

He was terrific in 2013. Again... as I've said countless times: I'm not slagging the guy. He is very, very good and unquestionably the best defensive 3B in baseball.

10. juicystream

Rendon? No, but he's not available to us.
    Seager? Yes
    Harrison? Hell Yes

He probably has peaked, but he's also in his prime, and will likely remain near that level for the next few years. The A's would entertain dealing him because they would want to maximize his trade value if they don't think they will compete for the next couple of years.

You are likely over-valuing prospects. For comparison, the Phillies gave us Cosart, Singleton, Santana, & Happ for 2.5 years of a 28 year old Hunter Pence.

I know the Phillies overpaid for Pence, but while Hunter Pence has similar offensive production, he did it while playing the corner OF, and being below average defensively.

11. juicystream

Sorry that ESPN lists players by current position when looking at past statistics. At the end of the day, Cabrera is back at 1B now.

12. Hey Now!

And that trade is a big reason why the Phillies' farm system ranked 17th this time last year (according to Baseball America) and the ML team hasn't had a winning record since.

And FYI, I don't think I'd make that deal *now* (assuming a fair comp for Happ). Then? It was an absolute fleecing. We landed their 2nd, 4th and 9th best prospects. You'd deal Appel, Foltynewicz & Ruiz for Donaldson?

13. Hey Now!

I've given this some additional thought... We know not every prospect is going to pan out - if you trade three who do, keeping three who don't... it's not three prospects you're down, it's six. (etc., etc.) So the prospects themselves don't have high individual value, per se - but collectively, I think there's tremendous value in quality *and* quantity.

I'm not advocating you build and build and build, and then build your system some more for a tomorrow that's never going to come. At some point, you have to make some moves. But when you're doing what the Astros are trying to do, I think your prospects have a cumulative worth and so you have to be very careful about starting the process of thinning them out.

14. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Happ was acquired in the Oswalt deal.

15. juicystream

I'd consider it & probably would, though I'd prefer to hold on to Appel.

I don't regard Folty all that highly. I'd give him up before Feliz, Velasquez, or McCullers. Same would be true of Santana.

16. juicystream

Doh

Yeah, Gose, Villar, & Happ.

Zeid was the 4th guy in Pence deal.

17. msn

msn Member

from the Orioles? Are you sure about that? I also thought we got Happ from the Phils in the Pence deal.

18. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Yes. In an instant

19. juicystream

We traded Oswalt to the Phillies (thus why it gets confusing).

Norris to the O's for Hoes/pick/Hader

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Oswalt was traded to the Phillies, not the Orioles.

Norris was traded to the Orioles for Hoes and Hader.

Jeez... this thread reiterates that we need to stop being a team focusing on nothing but prospects, and start getting some actual MLB players to root for!